Post-Game Talk: Habs tubthump Canucks - 7-3 (Horvat x2, Sutter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Francesco A needs to worry more about his team and who is running it, then his selfies with bar buddies..

It is time...

sniff

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
With Hoglander already in this lineup, we don't have another wave of prospects in the wings and that is such a big problem. After Podkolzin and Rathbone....what is there that is going to come in and fill the 8-10 holes, especially on D?

It sounds like you're describing an age gap problem.

I think we all know the "solution" to that!

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Also - I know Sutter and Beagle are probably our least popular forwards, but Roussel has been a waste of a roster spot since the qualifiers versus Minnesota last year. Does nothing, contributes nothing other than bad reputation calls, and he was the low minute man among forwards again tonight. Sitting him for MacEwen, Bailey, Eriksson or anyone would be a good move.
At least two of those three had at least one decent season with us. The other guy (4th liner with a NTC :laugh:) has been...:thumbd:

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
At least two of those three had at least one decent season with us. The other guy (4th liner with a NTC :laugh:) has been...:thumbd:

I’ve actually got time for Beagle. He got too much term and about $1-$1.5m per year too much - but he plays balls out every night and works his bag off. He might be the hardest working Canuck (just a pity he’s not very good). Having both him and Sutter is also an exercise in redundancy - both in terms of their over inflated roles on the team, and their over inflated contracts.

Sutter and Roussel are different matters. I’ve never particularly liked Sutter - always felt he’s all talk and no action. He has games where he’s effective - and he was actually solid in both the Minnesota and St. Louis series’ last year - but by and large he’s a guy who always looks gassed and like he’s shouting for others to cover his blown assignments.

Roussel was terrific in his first season here, and just hasn’t been the same since his injury. The reputation calls follow him around, and Green definitely doesn’t seem to trust him all that much. He was our lowest ice time forward in the playoffs consistently, and not much has changed to start this season.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
This, plus many unbelievably uneducated moves by Benning, is most definitely affecting our team morale now.

It is time.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Ozone

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
I’ve actually got time for Beagle. He got too much term and about $1-$1.5m per year too much - but he plays balls out every night and works his bag off. He might be the hardest working Canuck (just a pity he’s not very good). Having both him and Sutter is also an exercise in redundancy - both in terms of their over inflated roles on the team, and their over inflated contracts.

Sutter and Roussel are different matters. I’ve never particularly liked Sutter - always felt he’s all talk and no action. He has games where he’s effective - and he was actually solid in both the Minnesota and St. Louis series’ last year - but by and large he’s a guy who always looks gassed and like he’s shouting for others to cover his blown assignments.

Roussel was terrific in his first season here, and just hasn’t been the same since his injury. The reputation calls follow him around, and Green definitely doesn’t seem to trust him all that much. He was our lowest ice time forward in the playoffs consistently, and not much has changed to start this season.

Remember when Sutter called out Goldobin for having no balls?

That's leadership, right there, right in that moment.
:laugh:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks will get rid of some of their deadwood contracts by the end of the season.....the problem is, the guy who signed all this deadwood in the first place is still in the executive suite.

And does anyone out there have any faith that he won't just go out and sign another flock of UFA's who are just as useless as the guys who're heading out the door? I certainly don't.

Deeds26

Nov 11, 2006
Guys, think of the mentorship though! We need the Roussel, Beagle, Sutter, Myers, Eriksson's mentorship because our defense is so young! It just sucks that mentorship comes at a high price, duh.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

This is what irks me to no end with Benning. A good number of his signings wouldn't actually be terrible if he didn't give away everything. Eriksson, at the time we signed him, was a decent get. Just not at 6x6. Shave off two years even if we paid a little more and that's easier to swallow. Dame with Beagle. At 1.5-2M, he's fine on the fourth line.

We just constantly overpaid for "depth" players and then when actually good players have their contracts come up, he doesn't bother trying to fit them in. It just baffles me how poorly Benning manages the cap.

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
Remember when Sutter called out Goldobin for having no balls?

That's leadership, right there, right in that moment.
:laugh:

Yeah. Don't really care that it was over Goldobin but I instantly wanted nothing to do with Sutter anymore.

Like, buddy, you really aren't in the position to be calling out anyone for lacking in testicular fortitude.

Reactions: pomorick

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
No, you can’t - but it’s the same playing field for everyone, and by today’s standards, that’s a blatant headshot and a terribly stupid play by Myers, who’s just taken himself out of the lineup too - not that he was going great, but I feel bad for the poor kids who are going to try and play defense on Saturday night in his place.

Is kevlar still used in hockey shoulder and elbow pads? Even if it isn't, the improved protective equipment worn by players is also responsible for the increase in head injuries/concussions, Thus, no "blatant headshots" was inserted into the rulebook.

Having been concussed 3Xs in my hockey days, and 2X in football, and the worst in a serious baseball accident that broke my jaws in 3 places, cracked my palate, and left me in a coma for 3 days, and the problems I have had the rest of my life because of them, causes me to advocate for the strictest rules possible to prevent head hits however possible. It has nothing to do with making the games for p*****s. It's pure common sense.

My injuries came in the late 60's and early 70's. Our equipment in those days was laughable. I had face masks dented so bad they cut my face. I had them literally break apart when struck by the puck and one time it left me unconscious.

John Davidson wrote in a book about how badly bruised his shoulders, chest, insides of his trapper wrist, insides of his thighs, insides of his calves, thighs between the tops of his pads and his pants, and finally his shins were all season long and how the bruises would pile up on top of one another. I read that and said God D**n, I told by teammates it happened to all goalies. Many of my bruises were hematomas that would swell up into large knots. They were the ugliest shades of purple, blue, and black and would then turn all the colors of the rainbow as they spread out and grew during the healing process, but they would get bruise on top of them and the whole process would repeat itself. It was god awful. My girl friend/fiancee/wife used to actually cry looking at some of them. I had to actually tell her not to touch me at times because I woulod hurt so much. Instead I kept her busy changing the ice. MY defenseman used to show of the bruises they got from blocking shots and jokingly tell me they took those bruises for me.

Dryden confirmed it his books. Lots of other keepers have as well. Mike Palmiteer played goal for the Leafs in the late 70's and he wrote that his greatest fear was being killed by a shot. The stories are endless.

They fixed that by improving the protection for all players and now the equipment itself is responsible for injuries when guys hit each other with it. The equipment has become weaponery. I know a guy most of you young guys detest, Don Cherry, did several pieces during his "Coach's Corner" spot decrying the hockey powers that be for allowing the shoulder and elbow pads to be made out of the dangerous materials. He hit them with hammers and did all kinds of other stuff to show how hard they were and then said now imagine skating full speed and having another guy hit you going full sped with that equipment and not be able to understand how easy it is to injure one another.

Myers deserves what he gets. It's up to the players to police themselves. Doing things to injure other players shows disrespect for one another. Yes, accidents happen, but most of the time you know what you are doing.

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Feel bad for Chatfield. Gets to the pros, has a solid debut, immediately gets injured in the second game.

The Canucks with so many self inflicted wounds here. Bad turnovers, bad defensive coverages, bad checks...just so much bad.

He has been injury prone since coming into the organization. Missed a lot of games in Utica.

Reactions: Ginger Papa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad