Post-Game Talk: Habs tubthump Canucks - 7-3 (Horvat x2, Sutter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
A bit unfortunate how the PP goals have unfolded but yeah, pretty brutal. Pettersson is about to experience just how toxic this fanbase really is.
That's also a thing. His teammates don't help much to set him up for his office slapper. I mean, it's not like you can fault them as they've scored alot of PP goals on the left side, but Petey could use some help to get going as well.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
What do we even do from here?
keep losing like the way they play tonight. vancouver would be dead last in their division. ottawa would be better. how did chatfield get hurt after a great game 24hrs ago... toffoli scores again.. don't know what to expect saturday.. petterson is MIA... is he hurt or what.. body language seems odd. lose saturday and maybe lose against the sens. benning goes..

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I don’t think the timing of a hit should play into repercussions but it certainly plays into the stupidity of it. The game was completely over and the Habs basically took it easy on us in the entire third period. It’s one thing to set the tone with a big hit when the game is still in reach but this was just unnecessary.

I do miss the days when you could actually hit in this league but if Myers did that back then he would have gotten destroyed by someone like McGrattan and rightfully so. And I don’t mean a light hugging with helmet punch’s like “fights” nowadays. I’m talking a true beat down.

Reactions: m9

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
The good news is if we steal the Saturday game we'll have 3 against Ottawa as a confidence booster.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Imagine taking 3 FRANKING MINORS in a game plus that cheap shot.

like just handcapping your team for 10% of the game because they are short handed for that at least.

like Eriksson was just invisible which can somewhat deal with.
Myers actively works against the team.

Eriksson was terrible in this game, I don't think I heard his name once...

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
What's worse is said buffoon had numerous changes to get out of his stupid decisions. If rumors are to be believed, Ottawa was willing to eat Eriksson's contract for Virtanen. Say that's true and we made the trade. Sure, it sucks dumping Virtanen for nothing but it means we have enough to keep Toffoli and Tanev.

Getting rid of Eriksson and it would 'only' cost Virtanen and allow us to keep a desirable player? That's a solid win and I'd be driving Virtanen to the airport myself.

But, as I said in the GDT, Benning has a thing for round holing his square pegs, so fat chance of that happening.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Only positive is that there was no crowd there to boo them off the ice. Or maybe that's a negative. Clearly a brutal performance all the way around. Right now we are probably the worst team in the League. Again, after 6 years of Benning, this is what we got.

Good

Thought Horvat and Boeseer started well but both faded and by the third had descended to the same level of the rest and where pretty mediocre

Bad

Myers seemed intent on spending most of the game in the box. That hit looked predatory to me and should get a nasty suspension. Some decent play by Myers, at times, but also got horribly out of position at times chasing after the play in the offensive zone. Guess he wanted to produce some offense but, in the end, just contributed to the general chaos. Myers is not the type of player you can expect to carry a poor defensive partner

Schmidt - got played to death the night before and looked totally out of gas. Made some terrible passes and turned over the puck around his net. Play has really started to fall off

Rafferty - play around his net is absolutely unacceptable.

Hughes - again on his ass much of the game. Sometimes trying to do too much and forcing the play. Montreal ran him out of the play deep in his end consistently the last two games. I guess a positive is that any high salary demands on his part are fading.

Gaudette - just terrible. Should never take faceoffs in his end. In this game he and his line started icing the puck and forcing Gaudette into defensive faceoffs - most of which led to great chances on us. Clueless in most aspects of the game and mostly just senseless and futile running around. Why they put any reliance in him as their third line center remains inexplicable.

Roussel - did he play? Is a chance he can still contribute something but not with Gaudette as his center. Gaudette will always make his wingers look worse than they are but Roussel to start doing something. Was again bad on the PK and hopefully team can find someone to replace him there . Might think about using MacEwen instead of Roussel

Pettersson - another zombie like effort. Could make a case he was the worse forward in this game

Demko - obviously a lot had to do with defensive breakdowns but he got he got aired out pretty much. Should have stopped some of the goals. Keeping him over Markstrom might go down as one of the most colossal mistakes in Canuck history. We'll see

Others

Pearson - needs to do more

Joulevi - little better. Losing inside position too much especially late in the game. Seemed to get around the ice a little better. Probably get to see a lot of him moving ahead which means he will get a full look. However, count me as not hopeful.

Hoglander - like the spurts of speed he showed. I don't think he is entirely ready and would be very unexpected that he should be. Yet you can have some legitimate long term belief in this player.

Chatfield looked decent up to the time of his injury. He had long term injuries in Utica (mostly to the shoulder I believe and the injury seemed to be a after a hit to the shoulder - that is not good news)

With likely Chatfield and Myers likely out we probably see Benn and Brisebois next game. This, in all probability, will be very ugly.

If games like this can't rid of Benning I don't have any hope for the franchise. It is always the same in sports. No matter the situation the good organizations do well and the bad ones don't. We have a poor owner who permits someone like Benning to keep his job. He wouldn't have hired Benning to begin with and certainly should have moved him out after the huge gaffes he has repeatedly made.

On Green I would say : Good players make good coaches and bad players make bad coaches. I doubt Scotty Bowman could do much with the bunch Benning has assembled. I think changing the coach will do nothing to change things. It's the kind easy quick fix answer when the real solution is the laborious and lengthy process of building a team.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
if that’s not a headshot, what is? He made contact exclusively with dude’s head.

That’s a situation where nowadays, if you want to make a big hit there, you pretty much have to turn and put your hip into the guy.

It was foolish and unnecessary but it was also a function of Myers' ridiculous height and the fact that buddy had his head down. But Myers doesn't need to make that hit. 5 and a game should cover it. I hope.

Reactions: sting101

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I was working again tonight, but caught the second.

Yikes. I mean, yikes.

Horvat is killing it, and we can't make it count for anything.

It's not just the goaltending, but Markstrom could steal a game or two like these.

We are forcing our PK into a bad position, our PP hasn't been good (until this series), and I'm losing patience in the explanation that this new look team just needs time to click.

Miller-Horvat-Boeser to start next game, whoever plays when they aren't on the ice really doesn't seem to matter to me.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Gaudette - just terrible. Should never take faceoffs in his end. In this game he and his line started icing the puck and forcing Gaudette into defensive faceoffs - most of which led to great chances on us. Clueless in most aspects of the game and mostly just senseless and futile running around. Why they put any reliance in him as their third line center remains inexplicable.

I can't for the life of me see why this completely useless player keeps getting all kinds of high quality icetime. He was the guy "covering" the trailer on the Habs' 4th goal. If he and an opponent meet at the puck he inevitably falls down because he's got the solidity (and weight at 170 or so lbs.) of a big bag of feathers; he fell down twice on one shift and of his two SOG one was delivered while, you guessed it, falling down. No physical play, zero defensive awareness and not even a very good nose for the net. This guy won a Hobey Baker? Yup which only confirms my opinion of US college players as a whole...

edit: Wiki has him at a whopping 185 lbs. Just like, say, Wellwood...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It was foolish and unnecessary but it was also a function of Myers' ridiculous height and the fact that buddy had his head down. But Myers doesn't need to make that hit. 5 and a game should cover it. I hope.
I like your optimism....the problem is reports are indicating that Armia has a concussion and could miss substantial time. Not good, when it comes to assessing the severity of a suspension. I'd be surprised if Myers isn't summoned to an in-person hearing (as in Zoom) to plead his case.

If the gets one game that would be an absolute best case scenario for the Canucks, but would leave the Habs fuming. And Montreal has more clout than Vancouver in this league. Thus I wouldn't be counting on Myers for at least three games.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I like your optimism....the problem is reports are indicating that Armia has a concussion and could miss substantial time. Not good, when it comes to assessing the severity of a suspension. I'd be surprised if Myers isn't summoned to an in-person hearing (as in Zoom) to plead his case.

If the gets one game that would be an absolute best case scenario for the Canucks, but would leave the Habs fuming. And Montreal has more clout than Vancouver in this league. Thus I wouldn't be counting on Myers for at least three games.

Well like I said there was no need to cheap shot a guy who had been playing a terrific game so maybe you are right. He's deserves whatever they give him just for general stupidity...

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007

Armia is only like 3 inches shorter than Myers. That type of height differential is in no way unusual.

But yes, Armia had his head down, and Myers came in from the blindside, and that's the whole thing.

Those crossways hits where the guy has his head down, you basically have to put the hip into the guy because if you try to come across with the shoulder, you have very good odds that you're going to crank the guy in the head. Even if you manage to make some shoulder contact first and squeak under the letter of the law, you're still running a serious, legitimate risk of scrambling someone's brain, which is pretty shitty knowing everything we now know.

Myers being extremely tall isn't an excuse. It's not like he became tall last week. If anything, he should know more than anyone that he's looking for trouble with that one.

Last edited:

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Armia is concussed so I'm guessing Myers is good as suspended. Idiot.

And there's not a damn thing we can do to "fix" the Dman situation.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
I think the real kicker for me is that we don't even have any significant Dmen in the pipeline. We are the Oilers without the previous 18 #1 picks.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is it just me, or was that game tonight totally devoid of any emotion tonight?....at times it looked like two teams gliding around in a beer league games.

And until Myers cheap-shott Armia both teams looked lifeless and disinterested to me. Maybe it's the atmosphere in these empty buildings. Maybe it's a back to back situation, and the prospect of playing a third game two nights later against the same team.

I also noticed the same thing in the Leafs-Oilers game a night earlier. Between injuries piling up and COVID protocols, the attitude of the players seems to me to be something akin to "the league is requiring us to play, so I guess we have to."

But anyone expecting the same kind of intensity as we saw in last summer's bubble playoff games, is in for a serious disillusionment imo. Looks to me like a lot of the players and owners are just drifting through this season, without a lot of concern about what happens at the end of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad