Post-Game Talk: Habs tubthump Canucks - 7-3 (Horvat x2, Sutter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Players basically lost the option to lead high with their shoulder, which means that instead of hitting with one of the most heavily padded parts of your body, and impacting at a point where the least amount of force will be transferred into you, they have to basically hit core to core, which means that the hitter is going to feel it, too. Subban on Marchand a bunch of years back is the first example that comes to mind immediately. That’s still going to be a big, impactful hit, but there’s a good chance you’re going to be winded, and it takes more skill to line it up without missing and looking like a fool.

But again, those are unicorn hits and a guy like Tyler Myers at 6'8" certainly isn't capable of throwing one unless he's hitting Brian Boyle.

Generally speaking, a player skating with the puck is substantially hunched over with their head leading their body at a low height (Jyrki Lumme's odd skating style excepted). Hitting that player north-south without striking the head is basically impossible for a player with any sort of height.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
gDykuts.png

giphy.gif

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hughes, Schmidt, Myers, Benn, Juolevi and ?...Down to relying on our # 7-8-9 D men on our depth chart.

No suspension for Myers..Dodged a bullet there.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If you throw a classic north-south open-ice hit and don’t have the head as a primary point of contact, it’s a fluke.

Agreed. The Department of Player Safety is saying that the principal point of contact was not the head. I guess that last minute angle change in front of Armia and Armia raising his head last minute helped Myers avoid a suspension.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
The biggest issue is that the NHL can’t consistently say what a hit to the head is that’s going to lead to a suspension.

The nhl flys by the seat of their pants and expects players to know what’s acceptable and what’s not.

I’d be willing to bet a lot of money an almost exact same play as this will lead to a suspension in the next couple months

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The way he is playing currently and the rate he is getting himself penalized, I'm not sure its a bullet dodged, more like caught the bullet with my face.
He was good in some of his earlier games this season, but as one of the veterans in depleted D...He should be demonstrating discipline and leadership to to the younger D...He obviously lost the plot.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
The way he is playing currently and the rate he is getting himself penalized, I'm not sure its a bullet dodged, more like caught the bullet with my face.
Could be worse. At least Myers isn’t eating 6 million on the cap for 4 more years! :eek:

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
Yeah, thankfully we have a wise and non-egoistic management group who learns from their mistakes in giving out 6m contracts to inconsistent players entering their twilight years.
It's that god damn age gap thing again with this team that they went on about when Benning first got here. They have some weird internal chart of ages that they need players to be to form some sort of super team. Forget skill, somehow age is the determining factor to these idiots.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
He was good in some of his earlier games this season, but as one of the veterans in depleted D...He should be demonstrating discipline and leadership to to the younger D...He obviously lost the plot.

There was a grand total of 5 games before that one. You speak like we are already at the 20-30 game mark.

And no, he wasnt particular good in any of those games he wasnt just that terrible in some of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad