Recalled/Assigned: Habs call up Michael McCarron and Morgan Ellis

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Well playoffs are more or less out of the picture not, might as well give a good look at our prospects.

Pardon? Bartley is 28 years old, he's more of an AHLer than a prospect...Ellis on the other hand, is, glad he is paired with Barberio tonight, that's how it should be until the end of the season (unless one of the three injured dmen return).

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Hopefully Ellis has 6th d potential with 2nd pp wave replacement.

We do have a lot of offensive punch on the blueline, I still think we are missing a good LHD that scores 10-15 goals a year. Markov is still here but I mean when he is gone than what? Beaulieu has to be given an opportunity.

Subban, Petry, Markov, Beaulieu, Nygren, Ellis, Barberio, that's outright sick.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
May I remind everyone that trading is suspended? Until it reopens, it's time to evaluate prospects and newcomers and to watch Price in a game.

incognito Burrito*

May I remind everyone that trading is suspended? Until it reopens, it's time to evaluate prospects and newcomers and to watch Price in a game.

You can trade it's just the players can't play in the playoffs.

pepperMonkey

Aug 2, 2005
Toronto
Coach is always doing things backwards. Chucky should be centering those two. Still, it'll be the only line I pay any attention to.

Actually, since we are tanking...and we want our youth to develop, I would just make Chucky center the 1st line, and Big Mac the 2nd line. Pleks can center the 3rd and whomever they please can center the 4th.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Pardon? Bartley is 28 years old, he's more of an AHLer than a prospect...Ellis on the other hand, is, glad he is paired with Barberio tonight, that's how it should be until the end of the season (unless one of the three injured dmen return).

Bartley just turned 28 a few weeks ago so this is his 27 year old season. But I wouldn't really say he's more of an AHLer. After returning from playing a year in Sweden he spent the next year plus a good bit of the following season in the AHL where he put up good numbers. He's spent the last 2 season in the NHL but only appeared in 87 games. This year they sent him down to the AHL for 14 games. He's a bit like Barberio, border line NHLer/good AHLer.

Both are guys that should be more 7th or 8th D's in the NHL. Since they traded Tinordi for Bartley, I would think they would want to give him some more looks to see if they want to bring him back next year. Although if the IceCaps were to have any hope of making the playoffs, sending him back down would help a lot.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
McCarron centering Eller and Galchenyuk???......alright, let's see what happens here.

So for 3 years Galchenyuk plays wing because.... euh... he has to learn the game. McCaron comes in, play center at his 4rth game or so, and centering Galchenyuk.

I love logic

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So for 3 years Galchenyuk plays wing because.... euh... he has to learn the game. McCaron comes in, play center at his 4rth game or so, and centering Galchenyuk.

I love logic

McCarron's been so impressive in the face-off circle and in the defensive zone. I expected him to struggle a bit in those areas but he hasn't, so perhaps the coaching staff feels comfortable with him there. I can't say why the coaching staff doesn't like Galchenyuk at center and it's been beaten to death, but for me I don't really care what position he plays if he turns into a 70 point player for us in the future.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke
McCarron's been so impressive in the face-off circle and in the defensive zone. I expected him to struggle a bit in those areas but he hasn't, so perhaps the coaching staff feels comfortable with him there. I can't say why the coaching staff doesn't like Galchenyuk at center and it's been beaten to death, but for me I don't really care what position he plays if he turns into a 70 point player for us in the future.

Actually, I agree with you. If Chucky is to play wing, so be it. I just hope they would stop dancing around. In fact, the fact they are not doing Chucky at Centre while DD is out and the season is over speaks volume about it. If Bigmac turns out to be a solution all the better actually.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Actually, I agree with you. If Chucky is to play wing, so be it. I just hope they would stop dancing around. In fact, the fact they are not doing Chucky at Centre while DD is out and the season is over speaks volume about it. If Bigmac turns out to be a solution all the better actually.

I do think McCarron will be a center for us, the mystery for me now is what they do with Scherbak, if they keep him at center next year and beyond. That gets real interesting, he hasn't looked good on face-offs but he's a better skater and quicker then Galchenyuk, likely a better playmaker as well.

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
I do think McCarron will be a center for us, the mystery for me now is what they do with Scherbak, if they keep him at center next year and beyond. That gets real interesting, he hasn't looked good on face-offs but he's a better skater and quicker then Galchenyuk, likely a better playmaker as well.

One thing Bergevin might change in the game of hockey is not being afraid to change player's position as he sees fit. They did that with Hudon and Scherbak, they also kept McCarron at center. I wonder if teams will start to do that : draft a winger that you see more fit at the center position and turn him into a center in the minors.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

I am not sold that Scherbak is better than Galchenyuk at anything. Scherbak has at least another 100 AHL games before he is ready.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Happy for Morgan Ellis. His pro career has taken some serious bumpy roads. His perseverance is commendable. Good thing Bartley did not set the bar real high.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
One thing Bergevin might change in the game of hockey is not being afraid to change player's position as he sees fit. They did that with Hudon and Scherbak, they also kept McCarron at center. I wonder if teams will start to do that : draft a winger that you see more fit at the center position and turn him into a center in the minors.

I'm not sure that's a good thing, it should be good for them if it works out as they would be able to fill in at other positions when injuries hit but I just wonder if that's the best approach to do to your best prospect. It didn't seem to impact Hudon by going from LW to Center and back to LW though. And McCarron has really taken to the move from RW to Center last year and carried that over this year. He did play one game this year in the AHL at RW.

It's certainly an interesting approach.

I am not sold that Scherbak is better than Galchenyuk at anything. Scherbak has at least another 100 AHL games before he is ready.

I've seen most of his games in the AHL but I really couldn't begin to guess how much time he would need in the AHL. He shows flashes that really impress, especially with his passing. But his lack of strength is very apparent and he often gets hit hard, so learning to keep his head up more is something he needs to learn quickly. As for being better then Galchenyuk, I don't know if he will or not, clearly Galchenyuk is way ahead of him development wise when you compare where Galchenyuk was at 19/20 and where Scherbak is at 19/20.

But he's for sure a better skater and quicker. I would think he's also a better playmaker as it may be his best asset.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'm not sure that's a good thing, it should be good for them if it works out as they would be able to fill in at other positions when injuries hit but I just wonder if that's the best approach to do to your best prospect. It didn't seem to impact Hudon by going from LW to Center and back to LW though. And McCarron has really taken to the move from RW to Center last year and carried that over this year. He did play one game this year in the AHL at RW.

It's certainly an interesting approach.

I've seen most of his games in the AHL but I really couldn't begin to guess how much time he would need in the AHL. He shows flashes that really impress, especially with his passing. But his lack of strength is very apparent and he often gets hit hard, so learning to keep his head up more is something he needs to learn quickly. As for being better then Galchenyuk, I don't know if he will or not, clearly Galchenyuk is way ahead of him development wise when you compare where Galchenyuk was at 19/20 and where Scherbak is at 19/20.

But he's for sure a better skater and quicker. I would think he's also a better playmaker as it may be his best asset.

I know Scherbak has had a rough stretch with injuries but he has not produced at the level consummate with his skill set and draft position. I hope he starts showing something soon.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I know Scherbak has had a rough stretch with injuries but he has not produced at the level consummate with his skill set and draft position. I hope he starts showing something soon.

He's got 8 pts in the last 17 games, that's not bad when you consider,

1. he had a major injury that impacted his off-season

2. he got injured and then came back and got another injury in the first game back

3. in 20 games he's gone from trying to get back into game shape while the rest of the league was in mid-season form, to playing 3 different forward positions.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

2. he got injured and then came back and got another injury in the first game back

3. in 20 games he's gone from trying to get back into game shape while the rest of the league was in mid-season form, to playing 3 different forward positions.

In that light perhaps the final few games we will see him emerge. That would be refreshing.

What are your thoughts on Hudon? I have long said that he could become as good as Drouin in the NHL. Am I out to lunch with that assement?

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

the little I've seen from Scherbak suggests he's a better skater than Galch. Galch is definitely ahead of him at the same age. No question but there is a possiblity (best case scenario for Scherbak development-wise) that Scherbak's game is better suited to the pro's long term than Galch's. And I still think Galchenyuk can be a real doozy.

Now Scherbak's likelihood of hitting that potential? Not too sure. If he fills out his frame, he'll be bigger than Galch. That coupled with his superior skating who knows what can happen.

I'm surprised with the points. I thought he'd look miserable and be left to dry in the bottom 6. Feeling confident with a healthy offseason he can have a big year next year on the farm.

I think trying him out at center could be an inspired move. I don't know if he has the defensive awareness though. He definitely has to bulk up but again with an offseason where he's not injured that shouldn't be a problem.

My big question is there any effort issues with him? I haven't heard much but any more confirmation that there isn't will help me be more confident in his success.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
With Ellis making his NHL debut, he is the 35th draft pick of Timmins to appear in an NHL game so far.

In that light perhaps the final few games we will see him emerge. That would be refreshing.

What are your thoughts on Hudon? I have long said that he could become as good as Drouin in the NHL. Am I out to lunch with that assement?

He's had 3 pts in the last 3 games, so hopefully he can just build off this as I consider it more of a write off year.

I'm a big Hudon fan and have been since he was drafted. I haven't seen much of Drouin at the pro level so I can't say but if Hudon can get stronger, bigger and quicker then we have one heck of a prospect on our hands. He's so smart though that I don't think he has to done any of that and could still be an effective top 9 forward in the near future.

the little I've seen from Scherbak suggests he's a better skater than Galch. Galch is definitely ahead of him at the same age. No question but there is a possiblity (best case scenario for Scherbak development-wise) that Scherbak's game is better suited to the pro's long term than Galch's. And I still think Galchenyuk can be a real doozy.

Now Scherbak's likelihood of hitting that potential? Not too sure. If he fills out his frame, he'll be bigger than Galch. That coupled with his superior skating who knows what can happen.

I'm surprised with the points. I thought he'd look miserable and be left to dry in the bottom 6. Feeling confident with a healthy offseason he can have a big year next year on the farm.

I think trying him out at center could be an inspired move. I don't know if he has the defensive awareness though. He definitely has to bulk up but again with an offseason where he's not injured that shouldn't be a problem.

My big question is there any effort issues with him? I haven't heard much but any more confirmation that there isn't will help me be more confident in his success.

agreed, Galchenyuk should be really good by the time he hits his prime as I'm a big fan of both and think both are huge parts of our future. I will say I may have under estimated the impact his lack of strength had on him as a pro. He's got the skill but he needs to get stronger especially lower body. It's too bad he wasn't just born 2 days later so he could have had that extra year in the WHL and then turn pro but hopefully he can build off what he's learned this year and put it to use next season.

His defensive game at center so far is ok, his lack of strength can hamper him. I haven't heard anything about effort issues.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
McCarron definitely a regular come next season, I hope.

Ellis looked solid. Hopefully he continues to get a chance.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Wish we were seeing this McCarron call up just before and into a playoff run, I feel like he'd be a great playoff player.

Ellis looked alright, definitely better than Bartley at least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad