Prospect Info: Gustav Possler (2013, 130th) ‎– '16-17: DjurgÃ¥rdens IF #80 (SWE-1)

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I loved this pick, hopefully Gustav pans out.

Mid/late round Swedish pick turning into a gem, classic. :D

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
8 goals in 11 games. Impressive! Most TOI of all forwards in Modo aswell.

Only 2 assists... TRADE HIM IMMEDIATELY. :laugh:

He's really good driving to the net and acting as a trailer on odd-man rushes. He's also a really active player who buzzes to the puck and will lay the body.

He definitely fits what the Sabres need in their system. It's not hard to imagine him as a competitive, fast 20 goal "middle 6" type. It'll be interesting to see how his offensive game develops. Can't wait to see him in the WJC.

toejam56

May 2, 2013
Witness protection
In a country that probably has a bazillion knee injuries due to snow related sports, I suspect Swedish medicine has knee injuries and rehab down to a fine science.

Namejs

Dec 24, 2011
Oslo
Hopefully he can come back the same player. He had a bright future. He's still at least two years from Rochester at the least.
He hasn't died, you know. 'Had' a bright future. :shakehead

And do you consider yourself an expert of European or Swedish hockey? What do you mean by 'two years from Rochester'? In terms of overall quality, SHL is better than AHL.

Jagemon

Sep 27, 2005
And do you consider yourself an expert of European or Swedish hockey? What do you mean by 'two years from Rochester'? In terms of overall quality, SHL is better than AHL.

I don't know about the quality of the play. Good players in their leagues are good players in the other league as well but I think it's hard to compare the teams or quality of the play.

The playstyle is way different obviously.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Hopefully he can come back the same player. He had a bright future. He's still at least two years from Rochester at the least.
Idk about that last bit. His contract in Sweden runs through this season, so if he were to avoid this injury and continue with his previous form, he very well could have started his adjustment to NA rinks next year in Rochester on an ELC. The knee rehab obviously clouds that assumption now though.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Anyone heard any updates on Posslers injury? Did surgery go well? or did we loose our potential 5th round Datsyuk to a Tropp like injury where he becomes an empty shell of his former self.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Anyone heard any updates on Posslers injury? Did surgery go well? or did we loose our potential 5th round Datsyuk to a Tropp like injury where he becomes an empty shell of his former self.
Possler had a successful surgery and is in the midst of his rehab. You can read the Swedish article/interview on that here.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Possler had a successful surgery and is in the midst of his rehab. You can read the Swedish article/interview on that here.
Thank god my web browser translates for me lol but yeah he seems pretty positive and determined. Exactly what I like, if he can come back like he never missed a step I would have only good things to say about this prospect. What a steal.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
He's going to go to American University and become twice as fast as he currently is?

What does this have anything to do with it? What i meant was like Nyquist, who was a relatively late pick, hes gonna end up being an excellent NHL player. They're both lefties who play on the right wing, have similar frames and are both excellent snipers. Obviously they're not the exact same type of player but they have alot of similarities.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Not so sure I would call Possler a sniper. His shot looked average to me. Close to all of his goals before getting injured were flukey or garbage type goals.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Not so sure I would call Possler a sniper. His shot looked average to me. Close to all of his goals before getting injured were flukey or garbage type goals.

I think he has good hands behind his shot, but he needs to add velocity.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Well, he does go into high-percentage areas and has the accuracy to finesse things into small openings. If he could add velocity to snipe at range? That would be great.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I still think he could become our Zetterberg.. 5th round draft pick playing on the top line at the wing? Who knows what the future could hold. There was alot of praise for this pick months after the draft. However most Sabres fans just write him off being a 5th round pick and or his injury.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad