Prospect Info: Gustav Possler (2013, 130th) ‎– '16-17: DjurgÃ¥rdens IF #80 (SWE-1)

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
On a side note, I'm not overly impressed by Compher. He looks strange on his skates and in his equipment, and his frame looks rather slight. Not sure he'll ever carry more than 185 unless he gets adopted by the Wolverine football team. Seems like a Roy/Kaleta hybrid that may get stuck in the middle. The player Montreal selected with the pick prior, Jacob De La Rose, was far more impressive physically and skill-wise. Just my two cents.
Compher was probably the best USA forward I'm not sure what more you want. He's not a sniper but you can't teach his hockey sense it's through the roof. He just reads the play so much better and easier than other forwards at his age level that it's almost unfair.

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
This kid intrigues me more than anyone we drafted this year. I said as much hours after the draft, which prompted a few people to call me crazy (or some variant). I still stand by that statement.

To say he intrigues me the most doesn't mean I think he'll be the best player from the draft, has the highest ceiling, or will even make the NHL. It does mean he's totally unpredictable, though, and a potential diamond in the rough. You know what you're going to get in a guy like Ristolainen...and it's going to be good. That's what you usually get with a safe top 10 pick. With Possler, it could be anything from a non-entity to a top six sniper.

When I had heard that Detroit liked him in the 5th round, I figured the Sabres could have been onto a gem (after all, who is better than the Wings at pulling obscure Euros out of the later rounds?)...

Only time will tell if this kid pans out, but I'm along for the journey and totally vested.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Sports columnist from hockeybuzz.com has been talking about Possler at the WJC's and had nothing but good things to say about this kid and I quote.

Swedish forward and Sabres 2013 draft choice Gustav Possler (5th round) proved a lot of hockey "know-it-alls" wrong in Lake Placid. Credit the Sabres for grabbing this kid when they did. I'm wondering why he wasn't selected in the second or third rounds of the NHL draft. He's an exceptional skater with buttery soft hands. he loves to compete for pucks and rarely gets caught out of position. He'll look good in Rochester in 2014-15. For now, he'll head home to Sweden and play for his club team in Modo.

Possler played a polished and competitive brand of hockey. In 5 games played, he tallied 2 goals and 2 assists.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/GARTH/JT-Gustav-Impressive/6/53298#.UgfFlpIp_vk

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
But with the new European rules, they have more time with Possler than they have in the past. There is no rush unless he's shown he is ready. Let him braise in the SEL, don't server until he's done slow cooking.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
What are the new rules?

I'm pretty sure Chain was referencing the number of years teams hold the rights to their European draftees before losing them if they can't get them signed.

If I recall correctly, it used to be two. It's four now.

Edit: It is four... http://www.lawinsport.com/articles/...european-players-and-international-ice-hockey

European players and agents understand that section 8.6(a) of the NHL CBA entitles Clubs, who draft a player from a North American league, a substantially smaller exclusivity window. This window lasts for a maximum of two years. Further the NHL club must provide a “Bona Fide Offer” to the player in order to enjoy the second year of the window.

Therefore, if a European Player moves to the United States or Canada to play junior hockey, the NHL clubs are required to sign the player to a contract within a two year window; whereas, if the same player were to remain in Europe for his junior hockey, the NHL clubs would not have to extend a contract for up to four years.

Illustrating this further is the case of Gabriel Landeskog who started playing junior hockey in the J20 (under 20 years old) SuperElit league in Sweden. After a year on the junior team Landeskog was promoted to the Elitserien, the top tier league in Sweden, where he played for Djurgardens IF at the age of sixteen. After a season in the Elitserien, Landeskog left Sweden for the Ontario Hockey League (OHL), a junior league in Canada. Landeskog played for the Kitchener Rangers of the OHL for two years until he turned the age of 18 and was eligible for the NHL draft. In 2011, Landeskog was drafted 2nd overall by the Colorado Avalanche.

If Landeskog was drafted under the current CBA rules, the Avalanche would enjoy the exclusive rights to Landeskog for a maximum of two years. This is due to the fact that Landeskog left Sweden for the OHL before he entered the draft. However, if Landeskog remained in Sweden, the Avalanche would enjoy a four-year window to sign him.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm pretty sure Chain was referencing the number of years teams hold the rights to their European draftees before losing them if they can't get them signed.

If I recall correctly, it used to be two. It's four now.

Edit: It is four... http://www.lawinsport.com/articles/...european-players-and-international-ice-hockey

Yep, that's precisely it. They can let him perculate a lot longer before signing him to an ELC if they so choose. It certainly gives them their old stash option back and there really isn't a pressing need to put him into the Amerks lineup as soon as next year unless he's shown to be ready with his play this season.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
That's so awesome that we have him in control for four years, who knows what he could do in those extra two years.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Just remembered that we drafted Possler with the pick we got for Brennan.

Florida ended up with a rental. Hopefully the Sabres have a diamond in the rough.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog...n-top-performers-world-junior-evaluation-camp

Pronman named Possler as one of the standouts of the WJC camps.

Possler went a little under the radar in this past NHL draft. He was with the Swedish under-18s two years ago, but didn't play at the WJC last season. Buffalo picked him in the fifth round, and it may end up being a good value pick. Possler played on the top line for Sweden at the camp and arguably was the main contributor of that unit.

"He's played really, really well. He's exceeded the expectations of everyone. He's not only a scorer and setting up plays for other players, but he's backchecking, he's blocking shots," said Grönborg. Possler will likely play a premier role for Sweden at the World Juniors and with his speed, skill and improving defensive game could have a good tournament.

Mrpm

Jan 4, 2013
Possler scored again and was named Modos best player against Frölunda. 3+1 in the 3 latest games. Kid is tearing it up in SHL! They have played 5 games if you didn't know, so 3+1 in 5. Also been Modos best FW so far and getting TOI in both PP and BP.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Possler scored again and was named Modos best player against Frölunda. 3+1 in the 3 latest games. Kid is tearing it up in SHL! They have played 5 games if you didn't know, so 3+1 in 5. Also been Modos best FW so far and getting TOI in both PP and BP.

Power Play and Blood Pressure? :huh:

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Nice to read. I had Possler ranked 15 or 16 in our prospect rankings based solely on his raw potential. If he can find his scoring touch many expected him to find last year, he could be the steal of the draft. Top-6 potential. He has a lonnnggg way to go, though. Hopefully he continues to develop.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
If I am not mistaken cant players be drafted from europe by the CHL in their import draft? thus all that really matter is if a CHL team owns his rights which would prevent him from playing in the AHL.

No, it doesn't matter if a team holds a player's CHL rights unless he was drafted out of the CHL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad