Confirmed with Link: Adam Engström signs 3 year ELC

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
It depends on what you are not sold on. If its the belief that he is a number #1 defenceman who can play in all game situations including driving the power play and will be a perennial Norris Trophy candidate, then I share your scepticism. But I think his package of skills, defensive acumen and skating ability makes him a top 2 defenceman on any contender.

Above all, I appreciate the leadership qualities that he offers to the team. Guhle is a future captain.
Yeah and i don't understand how people forget he just ended his 21-22 years old season. Played on his off side and asked to be the defensive stabilisator on his D pair. I think he did pretty well. On top of that, he still could develop for a good 2-3 years.

Personally, i see him as a no.2 Dman who will play hard minutes 5 vs 5 and on the PK and will still be good for 40 pts per season without any significant time on the PP. He needs to play on his natural side though. Captain material and won't disappear in the playoffs.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I agree with this assessment. Guhle to me is a shutdown physical type and a 30-40 pts guy. It's not like he sucks offensively but he's limited.

I actually think Matheson should be extended (Unless we get offered something we can't refuse). If we can extend him for 3 more years on top of the next 2, that takes him to age 35. Not desperate to do this but something on the back of my mind and we got some time to sort it out.

Having all 3 of Matheson, Hutson, and Mailloux helps us ice two good PP units. Not just one. I really like how Matheson has matured with the Habs and MSL. A piece like this to QB a PP is not easy to find and I think he ages well.

Anyways, back to Enstrom. Very interested to see how quickly he shows maturity. Is it fast like Struble or slow like Barron.
i absolutely don't extend Matheson and trade him before he becomes UFA. And i disagree he can QB our PP. It will be Hutson's bread and butter. We already know it will be his spot and i'm 100% sure he ACTUALLY is better than Matheson at QBing the PP.

It will be Hutson and 4 forwards on PP1. You can go with 2 D for PP2. Reinbacher, Mailloux can do the job properly. Xhekaj and Guhle will also see some pp time here and there.

I like Matheson for what he brings. But i can't see a reasonable argument to extend him at his age and money he will ask for.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
i absolutely don't extend Matheson and trade him before he becomes UFA. And i disagree he can QB our PP. It will be Hutson's bread and butter. We already know it will be his spot and i'm 100% sure he ACTUALLY is better than Matheson at QBing the PP.

It will be Hutson and 4 forwards on PP1. You can go with 2 D for PP2. Reinbacher, Mailloux can do the job properly. Xhekaj and Guhle will also see some pp time here and there.

I like Matheson for what he brings. But i can't see a reasonable argument to extend him at his age and money he will ask for.
Exactly . Our futur at LD is probably Ghule-Hutson-Xhekaj-Engstrom.

+ we have 4 1St round pick in the next 2 draft. We might get another nice LD.
I’m not even counting Struble and Harris.

Matheson will probably not be resigned like you said

Reactions: Benstheman

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
It depends on what you are not sold on. If its the belief that he is a number #1 defenceman who can play in all game situations including driving the power play and will be a perennial Norris Trophy candidate, then I share your scepticism. But I think his package of skills, defensive acumen and skating ability makes him a top 2 defenceman on any contender.

Above all, I appreciate the leadership qualities that he offers to the team. Guhle is a future captain.
Guhle is without a shadow of a doubt, wooooo, a top pairing monster for the next decade.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I agree with this assessment. Guhle to me is a shutdown physical type and a 30-40 pts guy. It's not like he sucks offensively but he's limited.

I actually think Matheson should be extended (Unless we get offered something we can't refuse). If we can extend him for 3 more years on top of the next 2, that takes him to age 35. Not desperate to do this but something on the back of my mind and we got some time to sort it out.

Having all 3 of Matheson, Hutson, and Mailloux helps us ice two good PP units. Not just one. I really like how Matheson has matured with the Habs and MSL. A piece like this to QB a PP is not easy to find and I think he ages well.
A voice of reason and clarity in the Matheson ‘debate.’

Imagine if the Leafs would have been wise enough to have offered us something 'we couldn’t have refused' for Matheson to bolster their now failed playoff run. Matheson may have been enough to push the Leafs past the Bruins and deep into the playoffs. More importantly, he would have addressed the Leafs' greatest weakness, lack of mobility in their defensive core and have provided Toronto with a cost effective means of supporting a rapidly closing window for their core four players next year. It may have even saved Keefe's job.

As I have often stated here, you trade the type of dynamic skating that Matheson offers at your franchise's great peril. So it would take a considerable offer for me to even consider trading this vastly under appreciated player.

Exactly . Our futur at LD is probably Ghule-Hutson-Xhekaj-Engstrom.

+ we have 4 1St round pick in the next 2 draft. We might get another nice LD.
I’m not even counting Struble and Harris.

Matheson will probably not be resigned like you said
That "nice LD" may even be secured at 5 OA in this year's draft.

Last edited:

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Imagine if the Leafs would have been wise enough to have offered us something 'we couldn’t have refused' for Matheson to bolster their now failed playoff run. Matheson may have been enough to push the Leafs past the Bruins and deep into the playoffs. More importantly, he would have addressed the Leafs' greatest weakness, lack of mobility in their defensive core and have provided Toronto with a cost effective means of supporting a rapidly closing window for their core four players next year.

As I have often stated here, you trade the type of dynamic skating that Matheson offers at your franchise's great peril. So it would take a considerable offer for me to even consider trading this vastly under appreciated player.
I'm sure management feels the same...the question of whether or not they need to or will extend him, will be answered at a later date.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Every defenceman gets beaten one on one on occasion. My ‘concern’ is his ability to key the power play. Some here, disenchanted with Matheson, clamour for Guhle to replace him on our power play. Nothing that I have seen so far gives me any confidence that Guhle can, or ever will, effectively drive our power play.

I'm not worried about Guhle on the pp, because we have Hutson, Matheson, Mailloux, Barron, Engstrom, Xhekaj, and more.

Just hoping he csn be elite at shutting down top lines, and a good partner to an offensive guy like Hutsin, Matheson, or Matheson's replacement in the top 4 (possibly Mailloux).

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Imagine if the Leafs would have been wise enough to have offered us something 'we couldn’t have refused' for Matheson to bolster their now failed playoff run. Matheson may have been enough to push the Leafs past the Bruins and deep into the playoffs. More importantly, he would have addressed the Leafs' greatest weakness, lack of mobility in their defensive core and have provided Toronto with a cost effective means of supporting a rapidly closing window for their core four players next year. It may have even saved Keefe's job.

That "nice LD" may even be secured at 5 OA in this year's draft.

100% agree. Lots of fans want to move Matheson but I see it in reverse. Let other teams call us and tell them, it has to be pry away value.

Matheson is underrated due to where he was rated. Remember when Petry went through this? He matured and became a very good D (with and without Weber) and many fans were in denial. Some fans will say Petry is a great example and for that reason, trade Matheson before his value drops. Sure, but we don't know the point where Matheson drops off.

We got time to sort this out but the main point here is don't be surprised if Matheson stays till he is age 35. I can see it both ways... He stays because we need him or we trade him because we are offered something we can't refuse.

A PP QB like this is rare to find. His skating and creativity is off the charts. Teams will probably try to acquire for late 1st and B+ prospects and we tell them to try again.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
100% agree. Lots of fans want to move Matheson but I see it in reverse. Let other teams call us and tell them, it has to be pry away value.

Matheson is underrated due to where he was rated. Remember when Petry went through this? He matured and became a very good D (with and without Weber) and many fans were in denial. Some fans will say Petry is a great example and for that reason, trade Matheson before his value drops. Sure, but we don't know the point where Matheson drops off.

We got time to sort this out but the main point here is don't be surprised if Matheson stays till he is age 35. I can see it both ways... He stays because we need him or we trade him because we are offered something we can't refuse.

A PP QB like this is rare to find. His skating and creativity is off the charts. Teams will probably try to acquire for late 1st and B+ prospects and we tell them to try again.
You should be running the team.

What the complainers fail to understand is that Matheson, unlike many players, actually wants to play in Montreal. He is an elite skater, is among the top TOI players in the league, plays in all game situations, is a respected team leader and is paid about 50% of what other comparable players are being paid. And some can't wait to trade him? Talk about being up the proverbial gum tree.

The good news is that Hughes is not foolish enough to trade Matheson unless there is a very handsome return. If its the Leafs it starts with Knies or Cowan and a first. And then some.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You should be running the team.

What the complainers fail to understand is that Matheson, unlike many players, actually wants to play in Montreal. He is an elite skater, is among the top TOI players in the league, plays in all game situations, is a respected team leader and is paid about 50% of what other comparable players are being paid. And some can't wait to trade him? Talk about being up the proverbial gum tree.

The good news is that Hughes is not foolish enough to trade Matheson unless there is a very handsome return. If its the Leafs it starts with Knies or Cowan and a first. And then some.

I'll make mistakes. Just take the good stuff I say and ignore the bad. haha.

I do trust Gorton and Hughes.

Reactions: ChesterNimitz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad