Guess the 2019-20 Lineup

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kovalchuk - Prokhorkin - Carter
Grundstrom - Kempe - Toffoli
Clifford - Amadio - Lewis (MacClellan will play the ever lovin' beejezus out of that line to the chagrin of many)
Luff and Wagner

Forbort - Doughty
Martinez - Roy
MacDermid - Walker/LaDue

If Clague impresses in camp, LaDue is waived and Forbort battles MacDermid for the last LD spot.

Quick
Campbell

The Kings will have a greater sense of accountability and push into late March before falling short and picking in the early teens.

I think you are correct with this lineup prediction

Fat Elvis

El Guapo
Dec 25, 2003
On Lebowski's rug
Visit site
I would not be surprised to see Bluc invite 1 or 2 vet dmen into training camp to compete with the youngsters. Similar what they did with Laich, Setoguchi and Gagne in seasons past. I fully understand they all sucked. Just saying it would not surprise me to see a couple veteran dmen invited to camp.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Kovalchuk - Prokhorkin - Carter
Grundstrom - Kempe - Toffoli
Clifford - Amadio - Lewis (MacClellan will play the ever lovin' beejezus out of that line to the chagrin of many)
Luff and Wagner

Forbort - Doughty
Martinez - Roy
MacDermid - Walker/LaDue

If Clague impresses in camp, LaDue is waived and Forbort battles MacDermid for the last LD spot.

Quick
Campbell

The Kings will have a greater sense of accountability and push into late March before falling short and picking in the early teens.

This seems very realistic. Would be nice to find a place for Wagner though there is bound to be an injury or two

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Wagner isn't going to be a scratch after the season he just had.

Having Luff up with the Kings only to scratch him makes no sense when he could be in Ontario playing. Sames goes for Wagner.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale

Having Luff up with the Kings only to scratch him makes no sense when he could be in Ontario playing. Sames goes for Wagner.

After the trade deadline, Wagner should be swallowing up all of TL's minutes. I expect Lewis is going to get sent to a playoff team as a rental. Hell, TT may be off that list as well with Clifford. But I agree, Wagner needs a legit shot on some line which will get him more than 9 minutes a game. He has upside. There is no upside to trotting out the same tired lineup of guys who shoot 5%.

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
After the trade deadline, Wagner should be swallowing up all of TL's minutes. I expect Lewis is going to get sent to a playoff team as a rental. Hell, TT may be off that list as well with Clifford. But I agree, Wagner needs a legit shot on some line which will get him more than 9 minutes a game. He has upside. There is no upside to trotting out the same tired lineup of guys who shoot 5%.

I could see Lewis, Toffoli, Campbell, Forbort and Kovalchuk all being sent out by the trade deadline. I imagine Kovalchuk would be willing to waive to make his way to a playoff team. Clifford will be a UFA as well, but seems like they view him as being important to the culture.

We could end up with a lot of picks in the 2020 draft.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

I was hopeful LA could find a buyer for Toffoli to open up a spot for Wagner.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Dallas is looking for a scoring forward. Kovalchuk and Radulov are buddies. Maybe he'll waive to go there.

I don't see the point in trading Lewis. He has no real market value. Just keep him as the 13th forward.

It's pretty much a forgone conclusion Toffoli will get moved. He just needs to have a good season to maximize his value.

I'm going to laugh when Forbort gets re-signed.

Not sure what they're going to do with Campbell and Martinez.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I was hopeful LA could find a buyer for Toffoli to open up a spot for Wagner.
I think Wagner already has a spot. I think moving Toffoli opens up a spot for our best performing winger in Ontario. Probably Luff/JAD. Hopefully Vilardi.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Dallas is looking for a scoring forward. Kovalchuk and Radulov are buddies. Maybe he'll waive to go there.

I don't see the point in trading Lewis. He has no real market value. Just keep him as the 13th forward.

It's pretty much a forgone conclusion Toffoli will get moved. He just needs to have a good season to maximize his value.

I'm going to laugh when Forbort gets re-signed.

Not sure what they're going to do with Campbell and Martinez.

based on contracts being given out Forbort all of a sudden has a good value deal. he is just thrust into a role that is too high the depth chart.

I don't see Kovalchuk waiving for Dallas but who knows. Boston was rumored at the deadline and they were one of the teams who tried to sign him

We all should be pulling for Toffoli to have a bounce back start to the season. First time any team offers a 1st rounder for him Blake should scoop it up.

Martinez has to stay, the d looks horawful with him imagine without.

Maybe once a few UFA goalies sign there could be a market for Campbell but I would not expect a high return as this is rarely the case for goalies.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
Brown - Kopitar - Carter
Iafallo - Kempe - Toffoli
Grundstrom - Prokhorkin - Kovalchuk
Clifford - Lewis - Wagner

Amadio

Clague - Doughty
Martinez - Walker
Forbort - LaDue

MacDermid
Roy

Quick
Petersen

What I'm thinking:

The team tries to trade Quick, but find no takers so they have to sell high on Jack Campbell instead as he put up good numbers on a bad team last year. He's still relatively young and doesn't cost much money, which makes him attractive as he has fringe starter upside and at worst he's a fairly solid backup for less than a million. And while I would honestly prefer a tandem of Campbell and Petersen instead, I'm just not seeing it as a possibility.

Cal Petersen would then slides into the backup role and we get to see whether his game translates at the NHL-level with more playing opportunities.

We also get to see if Quick is able to regain his form and trade value as the next Trade Deadline approaches.

Reactions: lumbergh

bland

Jul 1, 2004
This seems very realistic. Would be nice to find a place for Wagner though there is bound to be an injury or two

It could come down to Wagner and Grundstrom for one regular spot, unless Lewis is moved to center. A coach like McLellan is going to lean heavily on those who work the hardest during the transition, and he is known for riding his workers. Nobody outworks Lewis and Clifford, and are very much needed.

Thing is, the kids need to be looking at Toffoli, Carter and Kovalchuk's spots, not replacing the culture-defining, hard working role players. It's going to be very difficult to move Carter and Kovalchuk, but hopefully Toffoli rebounds and makes himself into a high-priced rental.

Reactions: BigKing

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Kovalchuk - Kopitar - Brown
Kempe - Carter - Toffoli
Wagner - Amadio - Grundstrom
Clifford - Lewis - Iafallo

Anderson - Doughty
Martinez - Roy
Forbort - Walker

Quick
Campbell

We suck boys

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
There's no reason Lewis should be in the starting lineup over Amadio/Wagner/Grundstrom. All 3 of them are better players than him at this point.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
What I'm thinking:

The team tries to trade Quick, but find no takers so they have to sell high on Jack Campbell instead as he put up good numbers on a bad team last year. He's still relatively young and doesn't cost much money, which makes him attractive as he has fringe starter upside and at worst he's a fairly solid backup for less than a million. And while I would honestly prefer a tandem of Campbell and Petersen instead, I'm just not seeing it as a possibility.

Cal Petersen would then slides into the backup role and we get to see whether his game translates at the NHL-level with more playing opportunities.

We also get to see if Quick is able to regain his form and trade value as the next Trade Deadline approaches.

They won't do this because there is no one with any AHL/NHL experience to take over in Ontario. Like it or not, fair or not, Petersen is ticketed for the AHL this season. They also need this to be 3 deep in goal in case of injuries, especially with Quick's history and all.

Now, that being said, Blake's hand will be forced soon, in the off-season next year at the lastest. He has two choices really. He either trades Quick or likely Campbell of the Campbell/Petersen duo. The downside to trading Quick is you can't use him as the goalie to expose in the expansion draft in two years. The downside to trading Campbell is two-fold. You are moving a goalie that is much younger than Quick, and he is in his prime and trending up. While Petersen has been designated as the heir apparent to Quick, Campbell has put up a better showing in the NHL and has more experience, although both played well. The expansion draft question is really making this so much tougher, compounded by the fact that this is the last waiver-exempt pass Blake gets on Petersen this year (1 season or 49 NHL games, the game total seems unlikely barring unforeseen circumstances).

Reactions: lumbergh and Token

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
They won't do this because there is no one with any AHL/NHL experience to take over in Ontario. Like it or not, fair or not, Petersen is ticketed for the AHL this season. They also need this to be 3 deep in goal in case of injuries, especially with Quick's history and all.

While that is ideal it shouldn't stop them, and if they wanted to pair a veteran free agent netminder with Matt Villalta down in Ontario then it's possible.

Calvin Pickard, Anthony Stolarz, J.F. Berube, Scott Wedgewood, Andrew Hammond, Eddie Lack, Jared Coreau, and Maxime Legace are all examples of less than 1 million dollar UFA options that could be signed with varying levels of NHL and AHL service time.

Now, that being said, Blake's hand will be forced soon, in the off-season next year at the lastest. He has two choices really. He either trades Quick or likely Campbell of the Campbell/Petersen duo. The downside to trading Quick is you can't use him as the goalie to expose in the expansion draft in two years. The downside to trading Campbell is two-fold. You are moving a goalie that is much younger than Quick, and he is in his prime and trending up. While Petersen has been designated as the heir apparent to Quick, Campbell has put up a better showing in the NHL and has more experience, although both played well. The expansion draft question is really making this so much tougher, compounded by the fact that this is the last waiver-exempt pass Blake gets on Petersen this year (1 season or 49 NHL games, the game total seems unlikely barring unforeseen circumstances).

The requirement for the exposed goalie is that they are simply signed to a contract in 2021-2022 or that they will be a restricted free agent at the end of their current contract immediately prior to 2021-2022. And if the exposed goalie is a RFA their qualifying offer needs to have been extended to the player before the team sends in the protected list for the Expansion Draft.

There is no games played component attached to them like with the forwards and defensemen so it should not be that hard to accomplish.

Primakov!

Dec 9, 2003
Yesteryear
There's no reason Lewis should be in the starting lineup over Amadio/Wagner/Grundstrom. All 3 of them are better players than him at this point.

Not necessarily criticizing you here as I am honestly curious as to how you reached your conclusion regarding all of those players.

What conditions or criteria are you using to make that evaluation? Is it the eyeball test or something more tangible?

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Girardi? I guess we need to pay him back after his pass to Richards, leading to JDub’s GW in G1 of 2014 SFC. LOL

I would say s solid defensive Dman to pair with Forbort on the 3rd pairing..

Anderson/Clague/Brickley - Doughty.. I would swap Toffoli for Justin Faulk = Faulk-Doughty
Martinez - Roy/Walker/LaDue
Forbort - Girardi
MacDermid

I just want these guys to look as best as possible then flip them for picks and/or younger guys...

And to expand on the trade i mentioned it would be as follows
Ttyler Toffoli
Jack Campbell
for
Justin Faulk
Roland McKeown
2nd rounder
Carolina is still looking for scoring and they also need another Goalie unless they really think Forsberg is the answer

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
I forgot prokhorkin to be honest then jad centers the fourth line , I think they have to trade a forward or two this week or guys that are exempt start in Ontario , seems counter productive to start same team basically as last year , tanking guarantees nothing but heart ache

Jul 31, 2005
CA
I would say s solid defensive Dman to pair with Forbort on the 3rd pairing..

Anderson/Clague/Brickley - Doughty.. I would swap Toffoli for Justin Faulk = Faulk-Doughty
Martinez - Roy/Walker/LaDue
Forbort - Girardi
MacDermid

I just want these guys to look as best as possible then flip them for picks and/or younger guys...

And to expand on the trade i mentioned it would be as follows
Ttyler Toffoli
Jack Campbell
for
Justin Faulk
Roland McKeown
2nd rounder
Carolina is still looking for scoring and they also need another Goalie unless they really think Forsberg is the answer

I think Faulk and Carolina are a good fit as well. Having a legit #2 would eliminate the holes on D since Faulk and Doughty will be playing 20+ minutes a night. Quick would slot in well as Carolina's goalie this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad