Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I remember a few years back, The Ice Dogs where a fairly disappointing regular season team but they turned it up in the playoffs when it mattered the most. Of course they got swept by London in the finals but regardless they at least turned it around. Guelph will be fine.
Right the Wolves were a five hundred ish team in 2007 and went to the finals.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Right the Wolves were a five hundred ish team in 2007 and went to the finals.
I think the Storm are built for play off hockey. Big and skilled. Hitting is always on the up tic in the play offs and grinding out wins with big players in the blue paint. Garbage goals win a lot of these games. The Storm should do well.

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
With 4 strong teams in the west, the second round will be a crapshoot anyways. There could be lots of jostling in positions, but the final points totals won't represent the 'power rankings' on the final day of the season. The additions in Guelph and Saginaw can't make up for early season lost points.

This is a good point. I don't think for a second that Guelph is the 4th best team in the Western conference, even though that's likely where they finish.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
This is a good point. I don't think for a second that Guelph is the 4th best team in the Western conference, even though that's likely where they finish.
the cup winning leafs of 60's rarely finished more than 4th or 3rd..

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
According to Saxon no Entwistle (lower body), Toropchenko (upper body) tonight and Hillis is still scratched (though Larry said he could play soon.)

If anyone listens to Larry tonight, let us know the injury updates, in particular Entwistle's status.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Great game! How about that
cage-head line?! Didn’t look out of place at all! I have to say I’ve been impressed with call-ups this year and the future looks good if they maintain their tenacity in the next number of seasons.

Looks like some gelling is starting - hopefully they don’t take a periodic break here and there and just keep notching it up regardless of the opponent.

Cynical Canadian

Nov 16, 2015
That was a statement
By statement I mean:

5 significant assets sidelined
2 APs filling in and not looking out of place
12 players recording a point
3 for 4 on the penalty kill
2 for 3 on the power play
24 for 44 in face offs
Goalie stats above season average
And a 6 goal win over a team they need to beat.

That said there is a lot of season left, but if they continue to play like this it will be a short postseason.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
By statement I mean:

5 significant assets sidelined
2 APs filling in and not looking out of place
12 players recording a point
3 for 4 on the penalty kill
2 for 3 on the power play
24 for 44 in face offs
Goalie stats above season average
And a 6 goal win over a team they need to beat.

That said there is a lot of season left, but if they continue to play like this it will be a short postseason.

A short post season or a long post season (ie. a long playoff run)? I think you meant the latter...

battfan888

Podcaster
Feb 29, 2012
Sleeman Centre
I was concerned with so many players out of the lineup and a red hot Saginaw team coming in but man did the boys prove my worries wrong. Full marks and helped by the fact a couple guys broke out of slumps too.
Nice to hear an extra big cheer from the crowd after McFarland was announced with his first career point.

Poppy was good, didnt have to be great but was good when needed. Commisso actually fit in well on the top line and gave them some much needed faceoff wins which I have felt is his best asset to the team. Couple of fluky goals but overall the score was pretty indicative of most of the game.

Word is Entwistle, Toropchenko and Hillis could all be back in the lineup Friday. It was an impressive win over Ottawa a couple weeks ago, let's see if they can pull it off on the road this time before a stretch of games that should all be super winnable.

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
Impressive win, firing on all cylinders. Took foot of the gas in the third, top line didn't see the ice for half of the third, the second line also cutback while third and fourth did a great job. Gordeev is a monster, spirit guys lacvk spirit when hwe was around. Tippett looked average, not much effort. His only standout was the cheapshot on Lalonde with just a couple of minutes left. That make three home games in a row where the guys chased the starting keeper.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I keep expecting the Storm to go on a run, may now is the time.
Any idea how long Gogolev is out for? Saw the game he got hurt in. Real shame as he’s a great player and was having a good game (in Oshawa I believe).

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I keep expecting the Storm to go on a run, may now is the time.
Any idea how long Gogolev is out for? Saw the game he got hurt in. Real shame as he’s a great player and was having a good game (in Oshawa I believe).
he is a great talent.. but must be brought back carefully....by play offs but will need time to get back in game shape.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
What was the name of that defenseman drafted by San Jose that you all traded away, LOL? "Smerkley" or something, LOL. Certainly you made many moves but that was one of the best / biggest moves of your season. Hard to believe the impact one personality can have on a team. Again GB made many moves and it certainly isn't just "what's his name", but it was a big part of the turn around, takes a big pair of Kahunna's to pull the trigger.

Chico Maki

Oct 27, 2014
What was the name of that defenseman drafted by San Jose that you all traded away, LOL? "Smerkley" or something, LOL. Certainly you made many moves but that was one of the best / biggest moves of your season. Hard to believe the impact one personality can have on a team. Again GB made many moves and it certainly isn't just "what's his name", but it was a big part of the turn around, takes a big pair of Kahunna's to pull the trigger.

Trade should have been made a long time ago and has turned out to be a great move. One problem with Smerkley is that no one has properly fixed him up yet. He escaped playing Max Jones during his rookie year, they didn’t meet until Oct 19th in his second year. In that game he bounced him into the corner and his stick flew 8 feet in the air. He has taken 8 unsportsmanlike penalties, 4 diving penalties and 19 roughing penalties, but has yet to drop his gloves. Sooner or later someone may pull him out of a scrum.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
Trade should have been made a long time ago and has turned out to be a great move. One problem with Smerkley is that no one has properly fixed him up yet. He escaped playing Max Jones during his rookie year, they didn’t meet until Oct 19th in his second year. In that game he bounced him into the corner and his stick flew 8 feet in the air. He has taken 8 unsportsmanlike penalties, 4 diving penalties and 19 roughing penalties, but has yet to drop his gloves. Sooner or later someone may pull him out of a scrum.
OR..he should have been properly managed to frwd..with 2 D to cover his foibles..WAYY too much team ID flowed round his ego and abstract style.... I half blame MGMT and coaching for delaying moving him up or out..PTRBO has same decision to make .. sooner or later..maybe he has a contract refuses to allow a position move......then again ;..there's the ego immaturity issue.....just the way I see it..

Reactions: Chico Maki

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I get impression GB is toying with # 11 at LW... after we all figure heez a future leader on D for this team... go figger eh?..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Augsburg vs VfB Stuttgart
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $16,000.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Frosinone vs Inter Milan
    Frosinone vs Inter Milan