Guelph Storm 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bear6

Feb 20, 2015
Hounds fan here, just came on here to say I seen to right why the storm had reasons to trade merkley. Watched him tonight play the hounds and he is the type of player that is him first then the team, I think he is a troy let to any team he is on. IMO

hocknow

Feb 13, 2016
Here are our forwards production in the last 5 games. What do we think?

Hawel 6 pts
Ratcliffe 6 pts
Entwistle 6 pts
Toropenko 6pts
Schnarr 5 pts
Ralph 3 pts
Stevenson 3 pts
Suzuki 1 pt
Commisso 0 pts
Roberts 0 pts
Collins 0 pts

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Cant say those numbers are bad
Maybe more from Suzuki but he had 8pts in his first 3 games. Nothing much the past few games so perhaps he could pick it up but beyond that those numbers arent bad
To me looks like you've got 6 pt a game guys over the last 8 games.

By my unscientific formula, you've got the basis for a championship team there.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Here are our forwards production in the last 5 games. What do we think?

Hawel 6 pts
Ratcliffe 6 pts
Entwistle 6 pts
Toropenko 6pts
Schnarr 5 pts
Ralph 3 pts
Stevenson 3 pts
Suzuki 1 pt
Commisso 0 pts
Roberts 0 pts
Collins 0 pts

I know he's had some injury issues recently, but I didn't and still don't understand the Commisso move. I don't think he brings enough to warrant the price paid. The good moves outweighed the bad this year, however so who really cares!

If there is going to be one, the achilles heel for this team is going to be in the nets. Here's hoping he can get hot when it matters in the playoffs, or that the team in front can score enough that it won't matter.

No need to start worrying about that yet, though.

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I will say Commisso is one of Guelph's better faceoff guys
have confidence for this group.. if each is lit and burns to their capability.. as one... they're gonna really cook..!.. I have a good feeling about this team ... ... one day ata time..!

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
This team has been together for two weeks and the results so far don’t justify what we gave up to construct it. I still believe we sold the farm for a team that won’t get past the second round.

They play as individuals not as a team, they try to make fancy plays when playing a simple game would make more sense. Our PP is too stagnant, it’s always the same thing, stick a body in front and shoot from the point or a face off circle one timer. They should be constantly moving trying to upset the PK box of the other team, making it difficult to cover a man and allowing someone to get open.

I know we have some key players that are injured but unless they start playing together and sound hockey no additional players will change the outcome. We have a majority of our remaining games against teams below us in the standings. We should be winning these games but we aren’t. Something needs to change and I don’t buy it’s the coach. You can bring a horse to water but you can’t make him drink. I think the coaches are telling them to keep it simple but it’s not sinking in.

I hope I’m wrong in my assessment but so far it’s justified

StorminNorman

Dec 3, 2015
I still believe we sold the farm for a team that won’t get past the second round.

They play as individuals not as a team

This year was always intended to be the peak of a cycle. We could have been conservative and not upgraded, gone out in a playoff round or two, and then lost most of the 1999s for nothing. Instead, we got a makeover to get behind. GMGB read the buyers market correctly. The team need time to gel as a team. I have seen more positives around this group than any team play from the pre-trade nucleus.

Did we give up picks, yes. Did we make use of all those players we picked recently, no. Look at all the youth traded off before we loaded up. They did not want to be here anyway. At least we got players and not picks or prospects. If we had more success finding impact players in multiple rounds of the draft, I would have a different opinion.

The excitement for this year is much better than holding the status quo would have been.

thenumbersguy

Feb 14, 2010
This year was always intended to be the peak of a cycle. We could have been conservative and not upgraded, gone out in a playoff round or two, and then lost most of the 1999s for nothing. Instead, we got a makeover to get behind. GMGB read the buyers market correctly. The team need time to gel as a team. I have seen more positives around this group than any team play from the pre-trade nucleus.

Did we give up picks, yes. Did we make use of all those players we picked recently, no. Look at all the youth traded off before we loaded up. They did not want to be here anyway. At least we got players and not picks or prospects. If we had more success finding impact players in multiple rounds of the draft, I would have a different opinion.

The excitement for this year is much better than holding the status quo would have been.

That may be very well and true but from what I've seen I haven't seen many positives. I agree we gave up players that didn't want to play here anymore for one reason or another. But, we are getting beat by teams that are below us in the standings, those games should be sure wins and need these points if we want to avoid playing London in the second round.

My confidence isn't as high as yours and I still believe we won't get by the second round. I sure hope I'm wrong

Reactions: StorminNorman

StormWatcher

Nov 26, 2013
That may be very well and true but from what I've seen I haven't seen many positives. I agree we gave up players that didn't want to play here anymore for one reason or another. But, we are getting beat by teams that are below us in the standings, those games should be sure wins and need these points if we want to avoid playing London in the second round.

My confidence isn't as high as yours and I still believe we won't get by the second round. I sure hope I'm wrong

This team also beat London short handed and without Suzuki and Phillips. Smoked Ottawa as well. They definitely have the makeup of a contender. Your 2 week post deadline sample size is small, especially with injuries (including 2nd line shuffling as well as bottom 6.)

The sky is not falling. I'd rather face London in the second round than SSM.

GEO1050101

Sep 28, 2017
We will have to go through London or the Sault at some point. BUT we have to get through the first round first.

StorminNorman

Dec 3, 2015
With 4 strong teams in the west, the second round will be a crapshoot anyways. There could be lots of jostling in positions, but the final points totals won't represent the 'power rankings' on the final day of the season. The additions in Guelph and Saginaw can't make up for early season lost points.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
I remember a few years back, The Ice Dogs where a fairly disappointing regular season team but they turned it up in the playoffs when it mattered the most. Of course they got swept by London in the finals but regardless they at least turned it around. Guelph will be fine.

Reactions: three dog night

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
I remember a few years back, The Ice Dogs where a fairly disappointing regular season team but they turned it up in the playoffs when it mattered the most. Of course they got swept by London in the finals but regardless they at least turned it around. Guelph will be fine.
the ingredients are there ..couple later adds from injury .. and this team will COOK!.I am concerned though about over coaching... let them run..

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
the ingredients are there ..couple later adds from injury .. and this team will COOK!.I am concerned though about over coaching... let them run..

By overcoaching, do you mean this trend where it appears they are playing an energy conservation game for the first two periods with the intention of turning on the jets in the third and overtaking an opposing tired team? I've been trying to figure out the lackadaisical starts in the opening periods for awhile now.....I was trying to attribute it to some sort of strategy being employed from behind the pine...

Reactions: storm surge

storm surge

Dec 5, 2017
By overcoaching, do you mean this trend where it appears they are playing an energy conservation game for the first two periods with the intention of turning on the jets in the third and overtaking an opposing tired team? I've been trying to figure out the lackadaisical starts in the opening periods for awhile now.....I was trying to attribute it to some sort of strategy being employed from behind the pine...
I've seen some of the most brilliant talent fettered by over coaching.... of course every team and player has unique assets.. but coaching is a fine art..ya got ta know when ta hold em ... know when ta fold em..I just gut feeling ;.. get the impression this group is smart enough and talented enough to run for it... just open the gate .. Hope the injured return safely .. and stay healthy..This is a CAN DO group!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->