Value of: Gudas/Simmonds package deal to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
This thread is basically ‘the Leafs want your player and we don’t want to give anything valuable to get him’.

Just like all the other Leafs trade proposals, yes.
I don't get Leafs fans obsession with thinking Brown has any significant value. He's a 25 year old winger on pace for 25 points and had 28 points last season. He's not some young prospect with a big upside. He is what he is, a bottom 6 forward. He would essentially have the same role as Raffl early in his career or Read the last 2-3 years. He's a useful player and I would take him on the Flyers for the 3rd line until a younger guy is ready to take that spot and then he could be a 4th liner with the ability to fill in on the top 9 if needed but I'm certainly not entertaining the thought of Simmonds going the other way for that kind of player.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Don't think the Leafs make a major deal here and Simmonds is a UFA and we would simply not be able to afford him, he would be a rental. Leafs don't need Simmonds scoring, they need his grit and Toronto can find that with a cheaper asset. Look closer to the deadline for a possible addition.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Don't think the Leafs make a major deal here and Simmonds is a UFA and we would simply not be able to afford him, he would be a rental. Leafs don't need Simmonds scoring, they need his grit and Toronto can find that with a cheaper asset. Look closer to the deadline for a possible addition.

Note. Grit and scoring in your top 6, versus grit on your 4th line is a completely different beast.

Reactions: daveleaf

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
The problem with the leafs is Kapanen has been in a showcase spot recently with Nylander out so he's projecting very well right now. Given his previous role his numbers will drop again.

The problem for the flyers is simmonds and gudas separately get more unless they can aggregate the plusses into something of value. The flyers are loaded with prospects and the additional depth guys aren't really od interest so dealing them together may get what they want.

Simmonds + Gudaa for Nylander + 1st

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
The problem with the leafs is Kapanen has been in a showcase spot recently with Nylander out so he's projecting very well right now. Given his previous role his numbers will drop again.

The problem for the flyers is simmonds and gudas separately get more unless they can aggregate the plusses into something of value. The flyers are loaded with prospects and the additional depth guys aren't really od interest so dealing them together may get what they want.

Simmonds + Gudaa for Nylander + 1st
Take out the 1st and Toronto still say no.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
This thread is basically ‘the Leafs want your player and we don’t want to give anything valuable to get him’.

Just like all the other Leafs trade proposals, yes.

And the original trade suggested by a Flyers fan was:
Simmonds (50 games this year plus the playoffs, then he will be a UFA who will command more than the Leafs can afford
For
Kapanen (a 22 year old already far out pacing Simmonds point totals, who will be an RFA and remains under team control for another 5 more years)
Brown (a decent swiss army knife type player on a reasonable contract for another year after which he will still be an RFA)
1st round in 2019
3rd round pick in 2019

I think that Flyers fans need to be much more realistic.
:nod:

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
And the original trade suggested by a Flyers fan was:
Simmonds (50 games this year plus the playoffs, then he will be a UFA who will command more than the Leafs can afford
For
Kapanen (a 22 year old already far out pacing Simmonds point totals, who will be an RFA and remains under team control for another 5 more years)
Brown (a decent swiss army knife type player on a reasonable contract for another year after which he will still be an RFA)
1st round in 2019
3rd round pick in 2019

I think that Flyers fans need to be much more realistic.
:nod:

The flaw in your argument here is that Swedish Gretzky isn't a Flyers fan. Given his posting history (pretty much exclusively in Leafs threads), he's a Leafs fan.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Late 1st to add grit and more depth?? I would be on board with. Leafs can afford to move the 1st for the first time in years to make the team more of a contender.

Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Kapanen - Matthews - Nylander
Marleau - Kadri - Simmonds
Johnsson - Lindholm - Ennis

Rielly - Hainsey
Gardiner - Zaitsev
Dermott - Gudas

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Toronto fans think the rest of the league is their farm team. More so than any other fan base here's how it goes...
Toronto fan posts a lopsided trade asking for value in return for futures and spare parts.....3rd and 4th line types... LOL then a decent majority of their fanbase says that's even too much...Wild stuff, truly.

Last edited:

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
This has prob been asked in here before, but really don’t want to read through 8 pages...

Simmonds (ext) for Nyl, picks/prospects worked out wherever needed. How would you guys go about it assuming it would be a good fit. I feel like it would benefit both teams well

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
This has prob been asked in here before, but really don’t want to read through 8 pages...

Simmonds (ext) for Nyl, picks/prospects worked out wherever needed. How would you guys go about it assuming it would be a good fit. I feel like it would benefit both teams well

As a flyers fan, that would be a very bad deal for Toronto, unless the flyers unprotected first was included, and that won't happen.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

Simmonds for Nylander? Why would Toronto do that?

FalcorMulch

Aug 29, 2018
Toronto fans think the rest of the league is their farm team. More so than any other fan base here's how it goes...
Toronto fan posts a lopsided trade asking for value in return for futures and spare parts.....3rd and 4th line types... LOL then a decent majority of their fanbase says that's even too much...Wild stuff, truly.

Yeah it’s so nuts that we don’t want to give up serious assets for a 30 year old right winger on an expiring contract on pace for 40 points. What a bunch of assholes we are.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
Yeah it’s so nuts that we don’t want to give up serious assets for a 30 year old right winger on an expiring contract on pace for 40 points. What a bunch of *******s we are.

Great job at trying to deflect. I'll play along, we BOTH have Amnesia Gudas (on a good contract) wasn't part of the original conversation.

Even if Gudas wasn't part of it, power forwards on expiring contracts, mid level defenseman (or even one that hasn't played all year) go for quality assets all the time at the deadline for teams seeking a Stanley Cup, they pay a premium. If you don't like the cost get out of the game, someone else will pay ..

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Great job at trying to deflect. I'll play along, we BOTH have Amnesia Gudas (on a good contract) wasn't part of the original conversation.

Even if Gudas wasn't part of it, power forwards on expiring contracts, mid level defenseman (or even one that hasn't played all year) go for quality assets all the time at the deadline for teams seeking a Stanley Cup, they pay a premium. If you don't like the cost get out of the game, someone else will pay ..
I will say again, if a team steps up and pays a package like Kapanen+Sandin+1st fir Simmonds...more power to them, i hope it's not Toronto. If the Leafs are to overpay (slightly) for a player mentioned in this thread, Gudas would be the one as D is actually a needed upgrade, and Gardiner may be moved if they know they are not re-signing him (although i doubt it).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese