Value of: Gudas/Simmonds package deal to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Yet every year firsts are used. 5 to be exact last year.
Here were the powerhouse names traded:
Nash - UFA
Kane - UFA
Hartman - RFA
Statsny - UFA
Tatar - Term

Note. None of those deals were a 1st round pick alone.

I, if you read, never said Kapanen should be part of the deal. What I'm saying, is Philly is going to want more than a first alone or a first and real junk; for Simmonds. That's a player that's going to get a haul if I've ever seen one. What team wouldn't want him for a playoff run?

He plays at a 15 goal/41 point pace in the playoffs. He does average over a minor penalty a game though.

Reactions: JackFr

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
We need Gudas more than Simmonds, but as an upcoming UFA, a pick and prospect would be worth it to acquire him too. Not sure what the main piece going out would be. Preferably Brown & Zaitsev.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
We need Gudas more than Simmonds, but as an upcoming UFA, a pick and prospect would be worth it to acquire him too. Not sure what the main piece going out would be. Preferably Brown & Zaitsev.

Adding negative value to a package doesnt usually help your cause. If you want us to take Zaitsev, its gonna cost more.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Yup...those 3 will/should take a big chunk. But the Flyers have approx 35 million in cap space for next year. So they have lots of wiggle room.

And that's with AMac's 5 million fully on the books.

Lots of options.
I'm terrible with buyouts, I assume AMac's hit would be 2 years at a little less than $2m per? Should make for an interesting summer if Morin comes back and looks good at camp and Myers can't be denied a roster spot.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

If you can swing a deal for Gudas/Simmons for Brown/Zaitsev+ some combination of our Forward prospects (Bracco, Moore, Engval) or picks I could see that as being beneficial for both teams.

Gudas (retained to 2.5-3m)+Simmonds for Brown+Zaitsev+Engval+Bracco+2nd+3rd?

Reactions: Whaleafs

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
If you can swing a deal for Gudas/Simmons for Brown/Zaitsev+ some combination of our Forward prospects (Bracco, Moore, Engval) or picks I could see that as being beneficial for both teams.

How is this beneficial for the Flyers?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

That's putrid.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Adding negative value to a package doesnt usually help your cause. If you want us to take Zaitsev, its gonna cost more.
No need to add Zaitsev. We would bring in Gudas to replace OZ on the 3rd pairing...if he plays well enough to bump Zaitsev down...then great.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
How is this beneficial for the Flyers?

Engval is a tall, big guy who uses his body to protect the puck and is fast as hell. Doesnt hit allot. But he has the speed to be a middle 6 guy.
Bracco is buried in the Leafs org. He is a guy who is a top 6 guy, and is not gonna replace Marner or Nylander. Has always shown to be a sick play maker at every level. (Im also a Vancouver fan, and ive been telling them to trade for him since day one)

Brown is younger, cheaper and has more years left than Simmonds. Simmonds is by far the better player, but if they dont think they are re signing him, a trade makes sense. Brown on most teams (IMO) is a middle 6 guy. We will see what he can do with Hyman suspended as he is playing with Marner/Tavares.

Zaitsev is a #4, who PKs. He isnt anything special, but as a #4 he is fine. We simply cant afford to pay him what hes worth and he has a few years left.
2nd+3rd are pretty straight forward.

Simmonds for Brown+Engval+2nd
Gudas (retained) for Zaitsev+Bracco+3rd

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
No need to add Zaitsev. We would bring in Gudas to replace OZ on the 3rd pairing...if he plays well enough to bump Zaitsev down...then great.

Thats entirely feasible. Zaitsev is a non-started for us. If we move Gudas, its because we a) think Myers is ready or b) Are giving up on the season. Zaitsev's contract makes him infinitely less valuable to a team like the Flyers.

The Flyers are also already full on mid 6 projected prospects, so adding them ( in any amount) does nothing for us. If both players are going out, we're getting a little more quality and a lot less quantity, thats all.

Reactions: Tripod

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Engval is a tall, big guy who uses his body to protect the puck and is fast as hell. Doesnt hit allot. But he has the speed to be a middle 6 guy.
Bracco is buried in the Leafs org. He is a guy who is a top 6 guy, and is not gonna replace Marner or Nylander. Has always shown to be a sick play maker at every level. (Im also a Vancouver fan, and ive been telling them to trade for him since day one)

Brown is younger, cheaper and has more years left than Simmonds. Simmonds is by far the better player, but if they dont think they are re signing him, a trade makes sense. Brown on most teams (IMO) is a middle 6 guy. We will see what he can do with Hyman suspended as he is playing with Marner/Tavares.

Zaitsev is a #4, who PKs. He isnt anything special, but as a #4 he is fine. We simply cant afford to pay him what hes worth and he has a few years left.
2nd+3rd are pretty straight forward.

Simmonds for Brown+Engval+2nd
Gudas (retained) for Zaitsev+Bracco+3rd
This is just worth very little to the Flyers.

Zaitsev is an overpaid Dman. We have one of those in AMac.
Brown is not a middle six. He is a bottom 6 at best. And in Philly, he certainly will never pass TK or Voracek so it's 3rd liner at best.
Bracco....see Brown. Never touching the top 6 in Philly.
Engval...see above.

It's really quite simple, the Flyers would want 1 good piece vs 6 lesser ones. If trading Simmonds and Gudas, next year looking at:

Giroux Couturier Konecny
JVR Patrick Voracek
Lindblom Frost ????
Laughton Vorobyev NAK
Weise

Provy Ghost
Sanheim Hagg
Morin Myers
AMac

Now could Brown step into that F spot next year...sure...maybe. But the Flyers also likely have Allison and Laczynski and maybe Farabee graduating from NCAA who could make the team.

But all those other lesser pieces mean very little to Philly since they are packed with prospects. If a team is getting Simmonds AND Gudas, expect to pay something the Flyers want/need. Not a 4th liner who could play in the top 9. Other teams will beat this offer easily. Instead of giving the Flyers 6 "meh" back....give 2-3 better things back....or 1 thing we really want/need.

Reactions: Starat327

mdm815

Dec 22, 2005
pa
The thing is this isn’t a trade that we need to make work from a philly standpoint. If Simmonds is made available as a rental at the deadline, it won’t just be the Leafs calling. Same with Gudas, though personally i wouldn’t entertain moving him.

They’re the best pieces we would be moving this year and there really haven’t been many offers that are reasonable to both parties.

Reactions: Tripod

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
To get a player that is needed (desired) now - simple answer. You got to give something to get something unless you are of the opinion that by offering scraps it will return something valuable.

The other option is to wait and let one of your young defenders graduate.

I VERY much prefer option 2.

Lived thru the 80, 90 & 00 where we probably traded away more 1st rounders than we drafted (I know it's not that bad but felt like it). We are a good team and I think tossing in a 1st into every trade proposal is pretty goofy.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I'd love to add this duo, most def not giving up Kapanan though.

Something like

1st + 2nd + Brown + Bracco or similar prospect

for

Simmons + Gudas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad