Value of: Gudas/Simmonds package deal to Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.

daveleaf

#FIREKEEFE #MIGHTBETIMETOFIRESHANNYTOO
Mar 23, 2010
Canada
Note. Grit and scoring in your top 6, versus grit on your 4th line is a completely different beast.

I agree but that grit comes with a cost. If you make that move, you have to deal some of your guys like Kappanen, Brown and Jonsson and I am not sure that makes us that much better. I would rather have a lot of speed. Look at Callahan. There is a gritty forward, smaller, throws his weight around and not in the same weight class as Simmonds but highly effective.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I can't imagine 2 players Dubas would be less interested in than Simmonds and gudas, tbh.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
It's a long standing tradition that the apparently any RHD Dman is so valuable to the Leafs though not any other team.
These RHD to the Leafs to Leafs are getting absurd.
Grit? Often that is name for "not so talented". Yea Gudas might could play third RHD, but so can Ozzie. Who does Simmons replace? Leafs sure aren't traded Kapanen for him.

Reactions: Mork

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
As a Leafs fan, i think Gudas is being under rated in here. He isn't anything flashy, but he is solid and pkays with some physicality.

Reactions: Starat327

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
I wonder what a Boston/Leafs bidding war would look like. Neither would want the other to get him.
Don't you dare send him off to Boston. They swept you guys in 2011, we must fight them together!:sarcasm::help:

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
I can understand wanting to keep the younger player, but it's a little odd to say someone is outproducing another player when one plays with Matthews, and the other gets centered by Jordan Weal.

Again, perfectly ok with wanting to keep Kap, but context is key.
Context is key. So I'd suggest you understand the context that Kapanen is in no way a product of Matthews. The kid has produced his entire life and continues to do it with or without Matthews. Theres a reason Leafs fans want him to stick around. It would be a travesty to see him dealt for a rental. That's some early 2000's type of leafs move

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Leafs shouldn’t move Kapanen in a deal for Simmonds and/or Gudas. I’m not sure they’d be able to land them though without Kapanen. Outside of maybe Sandin, they shouldn’t move any of their young D and that first is going to be somewhat late.

Connor Brown doesn’t move the needle for me.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
I wonder what a Boston/Leafs bidding war would look like. Neither would want the other to get him.
I'd hope the Bruins say no thanks. This injury derailed season is not one to contend in. Bruins need to keep the 1st unless it's a top tier player coming back.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I'd hope the Bruins say no thanks. This injury derailed season is not one to contend in. Bruins need to keep the 1st unless it's a top tier player coming back.
Understandable. I think the Bruins will be buyers regardless and honestly, no one wants to face them because they play "playoff hockey" the right way.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
He's okay - I wouldn't trade anything other than a 3rd for him.
If the Leafs are floating a first round + a roster (presumably) from the 4th line, they can probably do better than a Gudas.

PitchNHL

Jul 18, 2018
He's okay - I wouldn't trade anything other than a 3rd for him.
If the Leafs are floating a first round + a roster (presumably) from the 4th line, they can probably do better than a Gudas.
uhh a 3rd likely doesnt get you close and im assuming you havent watched him if you would only give up a 3rd. Hes the flyers best dman this yr tbh hes very solid just not flashy

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
uhh a 3rd likely doesnt get you close and im assuming you havent watched him if you would only give up a 3rd. Hes the flyers best dman this yr tbh hes very solid just not flashy

1st + brown then. Flyers get a good pick for him.

Leafs include brown since they keep more flexiblity open

Reactions: Tripod

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012

Toronto is okay without him. There are better defensive players that we'd be interested in and will offer more for.

Kettil33

Aug 21, 2016
Simmonds trades are hard to evaluate because its not clear what kind of player Simmonds is right now. Last year, he shouldn't have been playing - he had a boatload of injuries ... he shoulda been shut down. This year, he's looked like his old self at times, and terrible at others ... but the Flyers have been an absolute train wreck ... Gretzky in his prime might be sucking right now on Hakstol's hapless Flyers.

Personally, I'm a big Simmonds fan and I think he's got lots in the tank for years to come. He's tough but he doesn't play a bulldozer style of game, and he's historically been a good skater, which I think gives him more shelf life than more classic power forwards like Lucic. I'd like to see him in TO, cause I think he would be awesome there and really contribute to the Leafs having a great run.

But the Flyers are going to send Simmonds to the highest bidder, and I am certain there will be GMs who, like me, will perceive him to have lots left in the tank, and he represents a relatively rare package of skill and toughness.

For the Flyers, there is just no value in B grade prospects - they probably have the deepest prospect pool in the league. Its gonna take picks, or players with clearly higher upsides than the Allison/Cates/Rubtsov/Vorobyev/Ratfcliffe/Laczynski/Kase/Twarynski/Friedman/St Ivany/Kalynuk/Hogberg/Ginning etc ...

Peiskos

Jan 4, 2018
Simmonds and Gudas definitely gives the Leafs an element they currently lack. I've always liked Simmonds and I'm sure he'd love to play in his hometown.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Simmonds and Gudas definitely gives the Leafs an element they currently lack. I've always liked Simmonds and I'm sure he'd love to play in his hometown.

A few years ago, he wont on record actually saying he wouldnt. Now, a lot has changed since then, so who really knows. But he wasnt a leafs fan growing up and said as such i believe.

Broad Street Buddies

Jun 16, 2018
Montréal
A few years ago, he wont on record actually saying he wouldnt. Now, a lot has changed since then, so who really knows. But he wasnt a leafs fan growing up and said as such i believe.
« Growing up in the outskirts of Toronto, Wayne Simmonds had a lot of red on his bedroom walls. He was a Detroit Red Wings fan in Maple Leafs country and idolized Sergei Fedorov. »

Reactions: Starat327
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->