World Cup: Group C: Denmark vs. Australia, 6/21/2018

Result?

• Total voters

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Yes, and to be honest, I didn't think that one was intentional either. It was also as a result of jumping, but sure I get it. Didn't catch this one though so can't compare directly.
The guy stretched out his arm, to save the ball from going in.. Clear as day.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Several refs have now said via Danish tv, that the rules do NOT call for a penalty in this situation, but that it is a typical call by a Spanish ref.

The yellow card was just laughable.. I mean come on..

They're saying that it's a not penalty, but it was called because Spanish refs call easier penalties?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Wasn't a red handed out for the last handball in the box?

Colombia, I think?

Why only a yellow this time? Less intentional, perhaps?

Typically for a non-intentional but "reckless" handball where the player isn't trying to make himself bigger or stop the ball directly but is instead just flailing around (like this one) a yellow is usually given. It didn't have to be given though.

The red would be a situation where the player either directly and intentionally handballed it or intentionally made himself bigger that lead to the hand ball (like in the game yesterday)

I'd say the penalty is a fair call because the hand isn't in a natural position.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
DgN5_XpVAAAH1Jv.jpg

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Urs Meier said the penalty was a mistake as well.

They have never been able to agree on hand balls and how to call them. Pure lottery every match. VAR doesn't really change this as it's still a question of interpretation.

It does however help in bringing events to the attention of the officials that they may have missed otherwise. But it feels like at this point there's a lot of confusion regarding the 'when' and 'why' of the specifics of VAR use.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
They have never been able to agree on hand balls and how to call them. Pure lottery every match. VAR doesn't really change this as it's still a question of interpretation.

It does however help in bringing events to the attention of the officials that they may have missed otherwise. But it feels like at this point there's a lot of confusion regarding the 'when' and 'why' of the specifics of VAR use.
I agree with you. It was never a discussion if it was hand contact, more how you interprete it. And the argument is often accidental vs making yourself bigger. Can go either way.
Not to Urs Meier apparently.

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I'm rooting for the Aussies but man, more often than not Leckie's ball control skills or the lack thereof are becoming an issue. It's almost as if any attack dies at his feet when it just jumps off his boots.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Denmark are definitely affording them their fair share of chances right now though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad