World Cup: Group C: Denmark vs. Australia, 6/21/2018

Result?

• Total voters

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
They won't. Graham Arnold is the next coach and he coaches a defensive system.

Aussies have told me this before, but I'm going to continue hoping...and not just because there's longstanding rumors that your golden child has agreed to join gladbach when he turns 18 & can sign a professional contract in germany :laugh:

IamNotADancer

Feb 16, 2017
I think I must have a different opinion on what outplaying the other team is.

also considering the reffing..

That much is obvious.

Denmark really didn't show much in the 2nd half. Australia had the much better chances towards the end and actually should be disappointed to not have walked away with the W here.

As for the ref, aside from the discrepancies in the penalty decisions, overall the ref was fine.

As a Dane I'd be more worried about the lackluster showing in the 2nd half going forward into this tournament.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Apparently staying another year. While he does play for a hated city rival, I think he's making a smart decision to stay. Dominate the league and opportunities will open up.

Yeah I guess t 19 there is not a rush to develop. Staying will allow him to get all game time and touches he needs.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Aussies have told me this before, but I'm going to continue hoping...and not just because there's longstanding rumors that your golden child has agreed to join gladbach when he turns 18 & can sign a professional contract in germany :laugh:

Arzani is 19.

Unless you are talking about Kirdar?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It was pretty mediocre fare from both teams if we're entirely honest. It's a bit like watching an Augsburg v Mainz sunday game. It's not like it's all bad, but both teams are pretty limited and seemed to ultimately be OK with the draw.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
That much is obvious.

Denmark really didn't show much in the 2nd half. Australia had the much better chances towards the end and actually should be disappointed to not have walked away with the W here.

As for the ref, aside from the discrepancies in the penalty decisions, overall the ref was fine.

As a Dane I'd be more worried about the lackluster showing in the 2nd half going forward into this tournament.
Not showing much is different from being outplayed.

I didn't see any obvious chances that should have converted to a goal.

And I have to disagree, I think it was a lackluster reffing performance.

I do agree in the end Denmark can thank themselves. they look abaolutely horrible and totally tacticallu clueless, not to mention super nervous.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
There was nothing wrong with reffing. And we outplayed them in 2nd half.

The were a few missed calls you could argue on Aussie players as well. One specific one was late on when AUS introduced Azizi (sp?) he was pulled down about 25 yards away from goal by a Danish defender, nothing called. It was clear on the replay.

Bottom line, both teams have to deal with the same referee, good, bad or otherwise.

Reactions: darko

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
It was pretty mediocre fare from both teams if we're entirely honest. It's a bit like watching an Augsburg v Mainz sunday game. It's not like it's all bad, but both teams are pretty limited and seemed to ultimately be OK with the draw.
Danes were not ok. they are dissapointed in their own performance and feel they should beat Australia 9 times out of 10. and tbh, on paper, they should.

And I don't find Denmark to anywhere near as limited as the Aussies. they were simply outcoached.

Reactions: Hulide

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Denmark have a habbit of making teams look better than they are..

They must be nervous.. all players making horrible passes, not running for each other, not meeting passes, not intercepting passes.

I think it's the typical Danish effect: When they are favourites they often play like this. Most players basically just watch football. No drive, just endless weak-power passes until they lose the ball. Instead of direct play resulting in actually trying to shoot at the goal, they end up losing the ball eventually or trying a longpass that ends up nowhere.

Even though Eriksen scored he was virtually invisible, made bad passes and lost the ball easily.
Sisto didn't dare anything in the 1st half, though he did in the second it didn't accomplish anything as he always drove the play away from the Australian net or lost the ball.
Jørgensen plays in a totally wrong position - he is neither fast, nor a target man you can play up to [like Dzyuba did well for the Russians]. He is more of a secondary striker than a center forward. Playing long passes to him is pointless.
Poulsen has now caused two penalties in two matches - not good.
Delaney and Schöne were also struggling in midfield - but it could be that when they became pressured they had no passing opportunities: Still they made simple passing errors or lost the ball to often and to easily.
Stryger-Larsen and Dalsgaard are offensive right- & left-backs, but here they hardly brought any offensive to the Danish team and this is the level they are defensively. Somewhat struggling even against Australia.
Schmeichel, Kjær & Christensen were OK-ish, but hardly shining in this match.

Basically what is wrong:
Passive players that doesn't take enough runs to make themselves playable. Alibi football. Nobody seems to really want the ball, so they pass it sideways or back.
Fear of losing much more than a need for winning.
Hareide's playing style is apparently not at all suited to the player material we got. With Eriksen, Poulsen, Braithwaite, why not a fast direct style. You have to adapt the playing style to the players you have available.
Hareide doesn't have a Tore André Flo or Eidur Gudjohnsen that can grab the long passes and keep the ball and pass it on to the next line of attacking players.
This slow grease-boot football has been known to be inefficient for ages - even a stacked Colombian team went out in the 1994 world cup because of that.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Danes were not ok. they are dissapointed in their own performance and feel they should beat Australia 9 times out of 10. and tbh, on paper, they should.

And I don't find Denmark to anywhere near as limited as the Aussies. they were simply outcoached.

They were OK with the draw because they didn't risk everything to win. Of course a draw isn't really good enough in this scenario, but this tournament has shown that the only time teams will just throw all their men forward and push is if they're literally facing elimination straight up or they are Germany. Otherwise everyone plays security first.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Arzani is 19.

Unless you are talking about Kirdar?

I was talking about the 2001 born Jacob Italiano. I dunno if he's viewed as the crown jewel of your youth program domestically, but he lowkey has some bigtime hype in european scoutings circles (at least in germany) and Gladbach's Sports Director Max Eberl apparently travelled to australia over the winter to work out a deal for him to come to germany next summer.

This kid:
No cookies | NT News

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Well, if he said it, then it must be true.

The Aussie coach just said his side deserved all 3 points and they outplayed Denmark.

Must be all true as well.
Did I say that?

I am just commenting on what he said.

I dont know, he does.
He did not, he said they deserved to win because they created chances to score in the end. I didn't hear the word outplay.

Like I said, Aussies played great and had a good gameplan.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Did I say that?

I am just commenting on what he said.

I dont know, he does.
He did not, he said they deserved to win because they created chances to score in the end. I didn't hear the word outplay.

Like I said, Aussies played great and had a good gameplan.

Did I say you said it?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
They were OK with the draw because they didn't risk everything to win. Of course a draw isn't really good enough in this scenario, but this tournament has shown that the only time teams will just throw all their men forward and push is if they're literally facing elimination straight up or they are Germany. Otherwise everyone plays security first.
They also said that, they felt shame because they knew they could and should play better.

that however does not change the fact, that they are not ok with it.

And it is dissapointing.

Not so much the result, as the actual play.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Kinda implied it tho..

Not really but to each his own. We can agree to disagree.

To be fair, it should not have been a penalty against Poulson. It’s impossible to not put your arms in the air to aid in jumping and trying to defend.

I think most post match pundits around the globe would agree the call was harsh.

But it’s done and the team has to move on and prepare for the next match.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I was talking about the 2001 born Jacob Italiano. I dunno if he's viewed as the crown jewel of your youth program domestically, but he lowkey has some bigtime hype in european scoutings circles (at least in germany) and Gladbach's Sports Director Max Eberl apparently travelled to australia over the winter to work out a deal for him to come to germany next summer.

This kid:
No cookies | NT News

Gotcha.

Yeah there's Italiano and also Birkan Kirdar. Both are 16 and super highly regarded. There's also Seb Pasquali who is 18 and plays for Ajax under 19s.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->