World Cup: Group C: Denmark vs. Australia, 6/21/2018

Result?

• Total voters

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
It has to be intentional or an unnatural position. Jumping forward with your arms up can be a natural position, that arm was away from the ball so there was no initial intent and he had no time to react after the header.

If you want to argue that it was in an unnatural position, but it is not “clear and obvious” by any measure.

This process needs to be a challenge system, because the current system is having obvious penalties ignored and much more marginal ones reviewed.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Ugh...

Horrible last 20 from the Danes.

That PK sure shook them.

And the Aussies seem to be getting a longer leash by what I otherwise have always considered a very good ref.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
It has to be intentional or an unnatural position. Jumping forward with your arms up can be a natural position, that arm was away from the ball so there was no initial intent and he had no time to react after the header.

If you want to argue that it was in an unnatural position, but it is not “clear and obvious” by any measure.

This process needs to be a challenge system, because the current system is having obvious penalties ignored and much more marginal ones reviewed.
This is exactly what the ref said on Danish tv.

absolutely horrible call considering use of VAR.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
It's a close call, arm is away from the body...

But for me, not a penalty. Ball came to him from about a foot away. The arm was not extended on purpose to actively block, dude was just sort of jumping lol...
And the yellow card just takes the cake, he'll miss the France match because of it.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Harsh PK for me. Totally accidental. Didn’t even seem to see the ball. But I guess under the rule, it’s a penalty.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
10 PK's so far this year compared to 13 in all of 2014. The game has literally changed to the equivalent of taking free throws

Oh man, they should totally change penalties to a free throw competition in the event of a draw after extra time!

Reactions: KrejciMVP

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Harsh PK for me. Totally accidental. Didn’t even seem to see the ball. But I guess under the rule, it’s a penalty.
Several refs have now said via Danish tv, that the rules do NOT call for a penalty in this situation, but that it is a typical call by a Spanish ref.

The yellow card was just laughable.. I mean come on..

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
So at half time, Fox mentioned a complaint by Moroccan players against the official in their game, claiming that he wanted Ronaldo's jersey/autograph.

The funny thing is they call him "Marc Geiger"

Marc Geiger is the co-founder of Lollapalooza and talent agent.

Mark Geiger is the referee from NJ who reffed the Portugal/Morocco game

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Wasn't a red handed out for the last handball in the box?

Colombia, I think?

Why only a yellow this time? Less intentional, perhaps?
Dude the Colombia one was 100% intentional and saved a goal. He acted as the keeper basically. Not the same

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Wasn't a red handed out for the last handball in the box?

Colombia, I think?

Why only a yellow this time? Less intentional, perhaps?

Yes, and to be honest, I didn't think that one was intentional either. It was also as a result of jumping, but sure I get it. Didn't catch this one though so can't compare directly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad