Boston Bruins Grade the Bruins Deadline

Grade?

• Total voters

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Sweeney did fine today. Not amazing, but not bad either, I give him a B. I'm disappointed they didn't get a clear top 6 guy (like Stone) but there's no way they were matching that price, seems like Panarin and Hoffman weren't really available. Improved the middle 6 considerably without giving up a prime asset.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
Here’s my thing, even with Stone they probably lose to TB. Hard truths.

I’m not thrilled with what we ended up with...but it’s better than subtracting a DeBrusk or McAvoy and then coming up short.

I’ll take my chip and a chair and see what TB looks like after they pay the tab.

Reactions: Emerz

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Not a grandslam but couple nice singles. No major impacts to the cap, prospect cupboard. Players are flexible and can be complimentary. Finding right chemistry and balance will be paramount.

On the downside, didn’t get the core player. Not sure they can beat Tampa.

Best point I saw made was (apologies. Can’t recall the handle) why couldn’t one of these deals been made way earlier. I think that’s very valid and would have given more certainly going in to today.

A bit bummed at Nyquist. Maybe if they had made that offer sooner, they could have had a better shot but perhaps pay more than what SJ did.

The Stone trade I’ll revisit in the summer, for now, just going to enjoy the ride to the playoffs, beating Toronto and we will see where they go from there.

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Could just as easily argue that they added 1st and 2nd line wings.

Johansson was playing on the second line in NJ. Coyle was playing on the first line in Minnesota.

The Bruins really seem to have come together nicely on the road trip. At this point they've got just about as good a chance as any team not named Tampa Bay or Winnipeg. You get in and roll the dice and you never know.

Reactions: Trizz617

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
If you agree that Sweeney couldn't realistically have gotten Stone, and Nyquist wanted San Jose, then how can you grade this trade deadline low? He did about as well as he could have, given the circumstances. So if last year he deserved maybe a C+ (they gave up a first to get Nash, though at least they dumped Beleskey and the other throw-ins were no big loss, and the Nash injury was mainly bad luck, though possibly foreseeable ), this year I think he deserves an A-.

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
Grade it what you want. Depth has been a huge issue for this team. When Sean Kuraly is 6th among forwards in even strength points, you've got issues.

Going from JFK/Colby Cave/Trent Frederic to Charlie Coyle is a significant upgrade.

Going from Ryan Donato/Joakim Nordstrom/Anders Bjork to Marcus Johansson is a significant upgrade.

They've played 2/3rds of the season with an AHL caliber 3rd line. IMO, that's been fixed. They're closer to resembling last year's team than they've been all year.

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
Fair point. I guess my grade is influenced by how long the team has known it has this hole to plug...
It's not that easy to plug and Hoffman (the best option) was clearly too pricey. They tried for Nyquist. You can't make the other team trade, yeah it sucks.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
Nyquist chose SJ over BOS according to multiple reports. Not sure what Sweeney is supposed to do about that.

Dunno, but I’m pretty sure the title/purpose of the thread is to grade the deadline, not Sweeney.

Idk maybe it’s just me, my eyes have actually been pretty f***ed up today, scheduled an appt with the optometrist this week though so fear not.

aic90

Jul 19, 2005
a top 6 guy getting hurt is going to have a significant impact on every team.

news at 11
Yes. But assume hypothetically that the B’s HAD added a Stone/Panarin equivalent at some point between the end of last season and the start of this year’s playoffs. If they had done so, now the loss of a Marchand (for example) is somewhat manageable. With this lineup it would be near catastrophic.

With my C grade, I’m not saying Sweeney didn’t try hard enough or do his job today. I’m sure it’s true that what was available in the last week was not what they needed or would have cost too much.

I’m simply grading the end result (again, based on how long the top 6 issue has been known)...

compan

Sep 30, 2009
Nashville
What a great next two games after the deadline to really see if what we did was enough. San Jose and Tampa.

I will hold off on my vote until after the Tampa game.

But I am glad there was no Kovy and no Simmonds. Players under 30 FTW.

Reactions: Cronuss

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Well he is a center here moving forward, at least for the rest of this season. I certainly have seen a large group of mixed opinions as to where Coyle fits best. But he is a good bit better than the alternatives the Bruins have now at 3rd line C, and for at least the moment Heinen is stepping up and filling that top 6 role, which maybe falls to a Cehlarik or Johansson if Heinen falls

I gave Sweeney a C+. There were better players out there who went at reasonable prices, but I'm not sure Sweeney had a chance (ie Nyquist). I'm broken hearted on Stone, but if the Bruins offered a solid (say better) package and Ottawa said no, then there is nothing you can do. Same is true if Ottawa somehow had this huge prospect rsating on Brannstrom.

On the other hand he did resist some options I thought would have been trainwreck (Simmonds), He made the team faster, and more skilled.

You say there were better options like Nyquist available but Nyquist had a NTC and waived to go to SJ. You can't consider him because he had say.

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Deadline and UFA are the two worst period of the year to improve. Cost is always too high.

Either get the big fish (Chara-Tavares-Stone) or try to get the best bang for the buck/assets.

Sweeney did just that this year.

Gave up only two notable assets in Donato+2nd for two skilled and versatile F that could line up in multiple positions on the top-3 lines. One of them with term.

Bruins one of the more improved team in the East after that deadline. 2nd to Clb.

Reactions: GloveSave1

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Deadline and UFA are the two worst period of the year to improve. Cost is always too high.

Either get the big fish (Chara-Tavares-Stone) or try to get the best bang for the buck/assets.

Sweeney did just that this year.

Gave up only two notable assets in Donato+2nd for two skilled and versatile F that could line up in multiple positions on the top-3 lines. One of them with term.

Bruins one of the more improved team in the East after that deadline. 2nd to Clb.

Both acquisitions can be defensively sound in the playoffs and perhaps score a big goal but the Bruins needed a scorer who will elevate them in the playoffs. Lack of goal scoring will hurt facing Wash and TB and maybe TO

Reactions: Bodit9

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
Both acquisitions can be defensively sound in the playoffs and perhaps score a big goal but the Bruins needed a scorer who will elevate them in the playoffs. Lack of goal scoring will hurt facing Wash and TB and maybe TO

Still good for 2nd most improved team in the East after Clb.

All that for the 2nd team with the most pts in the East.

Bring on anyone.

Reactions: TwineTickler

Lord Ahriman

Oct 21, 2009
C-
Coyle was a really good deal, but MoJo totally unnecessary. Imo, only Stone could make us on par with Tampa, so I'd rather keep those picks. Offseason will be crucial.

GloveSave1

*** 15 ***
Jun 11, 2003
N.Windham, CT
I'm going to switch my vote I think. I'm warming up on the Johansson trade a bit. I was originally a little annoyed with Sweeney but i don't hate what he did. I'll go with a B- now instead of C-

Yeah, I’m going from B- to B. I really shouldn’t complain. I didn’t want untouchables gone. Check. I wanted pieces to fill second line wing and 3c. Check and check.

While I might have preferred some other names, I can’t argue about the price.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Could just as easily argue that they added 1st and 2nd line wings.

Johansson was playing on the second line in NJ. Coyle was playing on the first line in Minnesota.

We should've traded Heinen and Kuhlman.
1st and 2nd line wings we could've a shit load of first round picks.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Yes, I would have liked Sweeney to dish off some of the fringe players to recover draft picks. Kampfer, Nordstrom, Accairi
Hope to see some of the rookies step up and start to make an impact as well.
Hoping Johansson plays well and signs an extension for a reasonable price.

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
I like the moves.

Donato has some serious skill but he def needs to work on his strength and probably deserved a real shot at an nhl job. I feel like they added a more developed, stronger two way player with coyle. He is also signed through next year so that’s good.

Johansson is a super fast 50 - 60 point player, 20+ goal potential. Really did upgrade the secondary scoring with a couple of picks.

I love that Sweeney didn’t move the first. Obviously stone was worth a first but the prospect they got for him is way more then I’d like to see moved for a rental. I don’t think bruins could afford his cap hit next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad