Boston Bruins Grade the Bruins Deadline

Grade?

• Total voters

Kegs

Nov 10, 2010
Yes, I would have liked Sweeney to dish off some of the fringe players to recover draft picks. Kampfer, Nordstrom, Accairi
Hope to see some of the rookies step up and start to make an impact as well.
Hoping Johansson plays well and signs an extension for a reasonable price.

Fringe players don’t get anything in return. If I’m another teams gm why would I give up significant assets or picks for a fourth line player and the guy who sits on the bench most the season? Just doesn’t make sense. Besides I like Nordstrom’s over all two way play. And the bruins fourth line is pretty good at shutting down the opposing teams top line. They are fast and strong. It’s not an area of weakness imo. Accairi has stepped it up recently too. So i really can’t even understand why a contender like the bruins would throw away roster players that are extremely responsible in all three zones for late pics that probably won’t end up being roster players. And even if they steal a guy in the 5th round it will be years before he plays. Bruins are a very good defensive team that relies on all four lines to shut down opposing teams. To me this team is defensively outstanding. And amazing defence in best of seven is hard to play against.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
B+ in my books. Definitely was hoping for Stone or Hoffman, but the fact is the 4th place team in the entire league added two good players and improved one of their biggest issues - scoring depth.

Reactions: Trizz617

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
C+
The team had 2 glaring needs, 3C & 2RW. Got the 3C in a good trade for Coyle. Still did not get a 2RW which has been a problem forever. Wish Donny dangled some combo of their 1st, 2nd, Gryz, & prospect(s) to land a legit scoring winger (Stone, Kreider, Saad, Zucc, Toffoli). We have defensive depth & lots of prospects. Love Gryz but don't want him & Krug in top 6 for the playoffs. Their window is this year & next. Donny didnt step up to the plate. Typical nibbling at the edges.

Last edited:
Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
C+
The team had 2 glaring needs, 3C & 2RW. Got the 3C in a good trade for Coyle. Still did not get a 2RW which has been a problem forever. Wish Donny dangled some combo of their 1st or 2nd, Gryz, & prospect(s) to land a legit scoring winger (Stone, Kreider, Saad, Zucc, Toffoli). We have defensive depth & lots of prospects. Love Gryz but don't want him & Krug in top 6 for the playoffs. Their window is this year & next. Donny didnt step up to the plate. Typical nibbling at the edges.
The tough part is, of the five scoring wingers you named, only one got moved, and we didn't have the prospect to match what VGK gave up. You have no idea what Sweeney may have dangled in trying to get one of the other 4 guys, and you probably never will. Hard to say he was nibbling at the edges, when he's been in on all the big names for the past year.

Reactions: Iceage

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
Also, Simmonds for a rental when all fell through would have worked as well.
Nyquist wasn't available, he invoked his NTC.
Simmonds is a worse player than MoJo and they got a 24 year old 20 point player and a 4th for him. Did you want to give Heinen and a 4th?

Bodit9

Oct 22, 2016
Upstate NY
The tough part is, of the five scoring wingers you named, only one got moved, and we didn't have the prospect to match what VGK gave up. You have no idea what Sweeney may have dangled in trying to get one of the other 4 guys, and you probably never will. Hard to say he was nibbling at the edges, when he's been in on all the big names for the past year.

He should have been more aggressive & overpaid IMO. This team is in win now mode. I find it hard to believe packaging some combo of 1st, 2nd, Gryz, & prospect(s) would not bring back a top 6 scoring winger.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
I said C.

I was pretty bullish in my advocation for Johansson a couple of weeks ago, but I wanted him for the slot that Coyle came in to occupy.

We needed a RW for Krejci. We no get a RW for Krejci. Again. Still.

I like the players... I don't understand the strategy.
We have a great team and a great Prospect pool! A+

Tampa and Toronto did very little...

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
I said C.

I was pretty bullish in my advocation for Johansson a couple of weeks ago, but I wanted him for the slot that Coyle came in to occupy.

My thought is management is happy with what they've seen from Heinen on the first line. Pastrnak slots into the second line RW and Johansson and Coyle make up the third line.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Such sensitive posters. Did I say Donny is a mediocre GM? I'm very Sorry truth hurts. I dont grade posters I grade the GM

Your posts in this thread are basically:

"Why didn't that guy catch the ball?"

"Well, he has no arms."

"Nevertheless, terrible that he couldn't catch it."

You can't just brush aside the fact of the NTC as if it doesn't exist. Well, you can. But not if you want to be even a tiny bit honest.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Nice job by Fire Sweeney voting A+.

B+ trolling attempt.

I gave C+. Addressed 3C joke but barely 2nd line winger I think

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Nyquist was never asked to waive for Boston. People are very mistaken here. He was never approached because San Jose offered more. End of story.

member 96824

Nyquist wasn't available, he invoked his NTC.
Simmonds is a worse player than MoJo and they got a 24 year old 20 point player and a 4th for him. Did you want to give Heinen and a 4th?

I've looked everywhere for this Nyquist story and can't find it.

This morning the tweets read pretty clearly(IMO) that DET and SJS came to an agreement, then DET approached Gus about waiving...the same way they would have had to if he was going to the Bs.

The only place I've seen "Nyquist said no to the Bruins" is this board. Everything does say that we were close, but what seems to be fairly clear to me is that DET picked San Jose and then Gus said yes.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Way too many excuses here. Ottawa was never moving Stone to Boston. Oh really? How do you know that? Nyquist didn’t waive his ntc for Boston. Really? Where is his confirmation because I know for a fact it doesn’t exist. Don was in on Stone and when they went with Vegas he panicked and grabbed what he thought was an easy buy in MoJo. Weak deadline but I think most of us are used to it.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I said C.

Do we though? He’s gonna have Debrusk and Pastrnak on his line, that’s not chopped liver

I thought they needed to stretch their lineup more than anything and acquiring two Bonafide middle six talents to replace JFK/Frederic and Nordstrom is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet imo

Gordon Lightfoot

Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
Way too many excuses here. Ottawa was never moving Stone to Boston. Oh really? How do you know that? Nyquist didn’t waive his ntc for Boston. Really? Where is his confirmation because I know for a fact it doesn’t exist. Don was in on Stone and when they went with Vegas he panicked and grabbed what he thought was an easy buy in MoJo. Weak deadline but I think most of us are used to it.

You might be right, seriously. But the reasoning makes more sense to me than Donny being scared or not having the balls or whatever.

He knows Stone would have solidified our top 6 so then why didn’t he get him? Same with Nyquist.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
Not sure what was the strategy, here. Coyle was a good add but why settle so low on Johansson... Dzingel, Simmonds were available at reasonable price. Bruins add at the deadline but it's not enough to go deep in the playoffs this year.

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
Do we though? He’s gonna have Debrusk and Pastrnak on his line, that’s not chopped liver

I thought they needed to stretch their lineup more than anything and acquiring two Bonafide middle six talents to replace JFK/Frederic and Nordstrom is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet imo
Is he gonna have Pastrnak on his line?

I don't know how you can be so sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad