Boston Bruins Grade the Bruins Deadline

Grade?

• Total voters

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
Being a **** is still being a **** and that's what you live to do on here. It's hard to take you seriously when you're consistently come off as a baseless whiner.

Such sensitive posters. Did I say Donny is a mediocre GM? I'm very Sorry truth hurts. I dont grade posters I grade the GM

Reactions: Don Cherry

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
Gave Sweeney an "A".

1. This team needed a Top 9 center and a winger...he got both.

2. Team needed to improve 5 on 5 and add some size in the Top 9 Coyle does that.

3. He kept the 1st round pick and the few interesting prospects in the organization.

4. Both Coyle and Johansson are players that can log significant ice time....as in in the top half of the 12 forwards that the team ices on a nightly basis. That is incredibly important in case of injury.

5. Both Coyle and Johansson can play multiple positions and have significant playoff experience.

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
I voted for B. While the 2nd line RW is still a big need, the 3rd line is looking a lot better. Last year in the playoffs, especially vs. Tampa, the inability of the 3rd line of Heinen-Nash-Backes to score hurt us a lot. I think a 3rd line of Johannson-Coyle will be much more dangerous in the playoffs and they are both versatile so Cassidy can always play around with them. Although I'm not a big fan, Simmonds was there for the taking and if they had gotten him in addition to Coyle and Johansson I'd give it an A-

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Shrug.

Team got a bit better. Didn't give up a lot. Didn't return a lot.

If the team had a better top 6, then these trades are perfectly fine.

At least nothing was wasted on Simmonds.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
B-

Missing out on Nyqvuist and Stone held it back, but overall a pretty good deadline. Didn’t give up much and filled some holes

Johansson might be redundant next to Coyle, but he adds size and if we can get some production and he can fill in the top 6 when needed I’ll be happy

plemur

Meh.
Feb 24, 2007
Nieuw Hamster
twitter.com
Solid B-. Really, I don't know if better than a B was possible, as they did not need a game-changing move. Depth is what they needed, and that's what they got. Both guys can fill spots on the second or third lines, can pot the puck (20 bucks is 20 bucks), have upside, and didn't require any dismantling. Not horrible.

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
D+

Just bad. And it actually started off pretty decent with Coyle, but then a whole bunch of nothingness only to hit the panic button last second possible. Johansson is a slightly better version of Heinen... :damnpc:

Reactions: Don Cherry

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Marcus Johansson (48gp 12-15-27p) would be the 8th in points for forwards on the Tampa bay lighting despite missing a lot of games and playing on a middle of the pack offensive team. This is obviously a huge drop off from Stone but this is a quality depth move.

Coyle was a huge add as this team desperately lacks any quality forward in his age range and can play two positions where we have needs. Adds some size to a lineup without sacrificing any speed or defensive play and signed for another year below market value.

The Bruins have a filthy top 5 with the top line plus Debrusk-Krejci with an awesome forth line. The additions of Coyle and Johansson help push down guys like Heinen and Cehlarik to those 8-9 spots and puts Backes and Nordstrom fighting to take Accari's job on the 4th line. IMO people will be surprised by the impact of adding two legit proven .5ppg+ players to this lineup.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Sweeney had a chance to turn a borderline 2nd round team into a legitimate cup contender.
Instead, we are still a borderline 2nd round team.

For me, this is a landmark day for Don Sweeney as a GM. He had a chance to silence all the talk out there about him and make a career statement.
Instead, he reinforced the talk.

Will still cheer the guys on, I hope we can beat Toronto.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I think both trades are ok on their own but it's not enough to win the cup most likely. I dont think Ottawa had any intention of trading Stone in the division so not gonna fault Sweeney there. Just disappointed we didn't get a guy like Palmieri or Hoffman.

So C+ from me.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
As much as I dreamed of a home-run big name player, I thought all this team really needed was two upgrades to the middle 6. Either on Krejci's wing or to build a viable third line. It's pretty much what he did so I can't complain.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I said B-

I liked the players he got and I feel the team is stronger. I was worried he would be less active than this. That being said, I don’t think he did enough to get out of a series against Tampa. Alot would have to go right for this team. We’ll have to see. I think they will have their hands full against the Leafs to be honest, but the depth helps even that series for me.

I still see a hole in their top 6 unless a kid catches fire at the right time. Considering their most likely matchups to get through for a deep playoff run, that could be the difference, IMO.

But I also believe we should be in a place of going for it at this point, I don’t celebrate being conservative with picks and prospects if it means this team is less of a contender than it needs to be with the age of our core.

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
Donny gets a B from me. If you give anything less than a B-, you're being ridiculous.

What did we say we needed? Ideally a top 6 wing and a 3C. What did we get? Definitely two top 9 players who improve the roster and provide flexibility overall, one who will be with us next year. Both can play C, and both can move up and down the lineup. We didn't make a "sexy" splash, but we improved the club and it's not even up for debate, and we didn't give up a 1st rounder and didn't disrupt our prospect pool really at all.

Step back from the ledge... actually, if you're on the ledge. Jump.

Reactions: Trizz617 and C77

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
B-/C+

Filled a hole with Coyle, got some depth with MoJo, didn't give up much in the process.

Do I wish he landed a big fish for the top 6? Of course.

I do think he's saving his bullets for Hall this summer if he indicates to NJ that he has no desire to re-sign after next season. NJ would be smart to deal him prior to season to maximize value.

Reactions: ThomasJ13

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I can’t let this pass. You come on here and argue hockey issues and mock other’s positions and then you say basically that you don’t know who Johansson is? The guy has been a strong player in the league for a long time, played on Swedish junior and Olympic teams and has over 300 NHL points. But you only noticed him when Marchand elbowed him. Wow. I keep forgetting there is no minimum knowledge requirement for this place.

Won't comment on this specific tussle. But must admit that while I've been a fan of the NHL all my life, I certainly don't know every player, or their strengths/weaknesses. It is, after all, a 31 team league at this point

I knew of Coyle because of his local ties, and for what it is, I like that move. "Mojo," I didn't know, save the Marchand incident. As Matt Kalman alluded to in writing of the acquisition, the dynamic in the dressing room between these two should be interesting.

Last edited:

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I can’t let this pass. You come on here and argue hockey issues and mock other’s positions and then you say basically that you don’t know who Johansson is? The guy has been a strong player in the league for a long time, played on Swedish junior and Olympic teams and has over 300 NHL points. But you only noticed him when Marchand elbowed him. Wow. I keep forgetting there is no minimum knowledge requirement for this place.
Letting it pass would have been ok. It's great that you're clearly a HUGE Johansson fan. I'm so happy for you! :thumbu:

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
B-

Missing out on Nyqvuist and Stone held it back, but overall a pretty good deadline. Didn’t give up much and filled some holes

Johansson might be redundant next to Coyle, but he adds size and if we can get some production and he can fill in the top 6 when needed I’ll be happy
Nyquist chose SJ over BOS according to multiple reports. Not sure what Sweeney is supposed to do about that.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Gave Sweeney an "A".

1. This team needed a Top 9 center and a winger...he got both.

2. Team needed to improve 5 on 5 and add some size in the Top 9 Coyle does that.

3. He kept the 1st round pick and the few interesting prospects in the organization.

4. Both Coyle and Johansson are players that can log significant ice time....as in in the top half of the 12 forwards that the team ices on a nightly basis. That is incredibly important in case of injury.

5. Both Coyle and Johansson can play multiple positions and have significant playoff experience.

Your optimism is refreshing. Wish I shared it. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad