Boston Bruins Grade the Bruins Deadline

Grade?

• Total voters

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Donato for Coyle was a very very very very good move compared to what Hayes cost.

Mojo was like plan Q. The 2nd for him was fine.

They improved the middle six. They did it by rebuilding the third line instead of adding to the top 6 and trickling down. It's not what we wanted.

But of all the deals that went down, the only one I wish we beat was Nyquist. But, we have no idea if he would come here.

Well, let me amend. If Stone would have signed here I wish we beat what Vegas offered... but we might never know that piece.

blue

Aug 14, 2005
Montreal
Grade: B
Coyle is a great pickup as a 3rd line center & 2nd line winger as required. Big body that can skate with decent puck skills(I love the way he protects the puck). Johansson is a good winger with speed and a solid skill set. You need a scoring threat on all lines and now we have it. In the playoffs, all it takes is one or two goals from Coyle or Johansson at the right time and you move on.
There is no way Sweeny gives up a first round pick two years in a row. Too good of a draft in 2019.
No point in going for Stone as a rental as there is no way the Bruin's were going to pay 9M for 8 years...

Reactions: TwineTickler

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
B

Could’ve been better but he improved the team without giving up a whole lot. I like that Coyle is around for next year too

Friar85

Dec 16, 2013
B. Hope the extra pick for Mojo wasn't to get NJD to retain. Like Mojo, like Coyle (SSK forever) but I am one of those folks who see Donato as a potential future star (SSK forever).

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
B. Hope the extra pick for Mojo wasn't to get NJD to retain. Like Mojo, like Coyle (SSK forever) but I am one of those folks who see Donato as a potential future star (SSK forever).
i don't get why they needed NJ to retain at all. he's UFA at the end of the season, and the B's had plenty of deadline space

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
i don't get why they needed NJ to retain at all. he's UFA at the end of the season, and the B's had plenty of deadline space

Sweeney asked for that to not go over the limit for bonuses for this year which will carry over to next season is what I believe was the reason

Reactions: Lobster57

C77

Mar 12, 2009
Junior's Farm
I don't see why people here get fixated on this guy is "top 6" and this guy is just a 3rd liner. Don't people realize that there is a wide variance in performance and role and ice time?

For example you take a guy like Vatrano who could barely cut it on the 4th line in Boston last year. Now he's playing on Florida's top line. Does that make him a 1st liner? No...but Florida is certainly getting more usage out of him than Boston did. Of course ability matters...but it's what the team can get out of that ability that is most important.

You would think people here would understand the idea of synergy and the pairing of players and how that can increase their effectiveness. I mean we have the classic case in Marchand...How effective has he been when he's away from Bergeron? Much less than with Bergeron...What does that mean in how we value Marchand?

So you have a guy like Johansson and people are so quick to comment "he's a 3rd liner" but I trust Cassidy to get the most out of his players. Maybe he finds chemistry with Krejci and they perform at a high level together. At that point does it matter that Johansson is a 3rd liner? I mean we saw something similar happen with Miro Satan who nearly everyone thought was finished and he lit up Buffalo pretty good.

EvilElf63

Mar 27, 2012
Catskills
I voted B. They didn't have the prospect(s) to get Stone, and it'd be tough to sign him for that number too. Wasn't going to happen, and I'm not going to fault Dealin' Don for not getting that piece. It was too much. I really like the Coyle signing, good depth player, at a decent number and signed through next year. The Johansson deal makes them a better team today than yesterday, and that's a win. Still didn't get that 2nd line piece, but here's the brightside:

Didn't deal Vaak, Stud, or JFK; I have no great opinion on Donato, except an uneducated gut feeling that he'll put up decent offensive numbers and be a consistently minus player on a mediocre team for years to come.

Didn't get bite on Kovie or Simmonds. Phew!

Reactions: TwineTickler

aic90

Jul 19, 2005
C.

Because all of the assessments of the current top 6 (including Heinen or whoever) assumes zero injuries. One of those top 6 not named Heinen goes down in the playoffs and it feels like the house of cards falls down.

Nobody would ever get injured in a series vs the Caps right?

A real top 6 RW acquisition at the deadline would have made such an injury a bit easier to withstand.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
Said B. Had B- but then I remembered the Stempniak signing :sarcasm:

I kid, I kid. I bumped it up because he improved the team as a whole and didn't do it by adding Simmonds, Carter, Kovalchuk, or a Timmy Winkles type.

prizminferno

Feb 14, 2019
C.

Because all of the assessments of the current top 6 (including Heinen or whoever) assumes zero injuries. One of those top 6 not named Heinen goes down in the playoffs and it feels like the house of cards falls down.

A real top 6 RW acquisition at the deadline would have made such an injury a bit easier to withstand.
What top 6 RW did you want? None of them were available.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
C.

a top 6 guy getting hurt is going to have a significant impact on every team.

news at 11

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I don't see why people here get fixated on this guy is "top 6" and this guy is just a 3rd liner. Don't people realize that there is a wide variance in performance and role and ice time?

For example you take a guy like Vatrano who could barely cut it on the 4th line in Boston last year. Now he's playing on Florida's top line. Does that make him a 1st liner? No...but Florida is certainly getting more usage out of him than Boston did. Of course ability matters...but it's what the team can get out of that ability that is most important.

You would think people here would understand the idea of synergy and the pairing of players and how that can increase their effectiveness. I mean we have the classic case in Marchand...How effective has he been when he's away from Bergeron? Much less than with Bergeron...What does that mean in how we value Marchand?

So you have a guy like Johansson and people are so quick to comment "he's a 3rd liner" but I trust Cassidy to get the most out of his players. Maybe he finds chemistry with Krejci and they perform at a high level together. At that point does it matter that Johansson is a 3rd liner? I mean we saw something similar happen with Miro Satan who nearly everyone thought was finished and he lit up Buffalo pretty good.
Could just as easily argue that they added 1st and 2nd line wings.

Johansson was playing on the second line in NJ. Coyle was playing on the first line in Minnesota.

Reactions: Trizz617 and C77

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Ok people everything I have seen says Coyle is a winger who can play center

Well he is a center here moving forward, at least for the rest of this season. I certainly have seen a large group of mixed opinions as to where Coyle fits best. But he is a good bit better than the alternatives the Bruins have now at 3rd line C, and for at least the moment Heinen is stepping up and filling that top 6 role, which maybe falls to a Cehlarik or Johansson if Heinen falls

I gave Sweeney a C+. There were better players out there who went at reasonable prices, but I'm not sure Sweeney had a chance (ie Nyquist). I'm broken hearted on Stone, but if the Bruins offered a solid (say better) package and Ottawa said no, then there is nothing you can do. Same is true if Ottawa somehow had this huge prospect rsating on Brannstrom.

On the other hand he did resist some options I thought would have been trainwreck (Simmonds), He made the team faster, and more skilled.

Reactions: GloveSave1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad