Roster Moves: Gostisbehere suspended for two games for hit on Friedman

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
DOPeS will be DOPeS.

The Rangers are going to get a huge sanction for the statement they made after the Wilson hearing. Time for Scott to do the same and say f*** it it's only Comcasts money.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Jordan Hall mentions a few of the recent questionable rulings:

Gostisbehere receives suspension for crosscheck on ex-teammate

It's not overly surprising Gostisbehere's play reached punitive action from the league. The crosscheck was late, avoidable and it sent Friedman into the boards. But the suspension does come in the wake of the highly publicized and scrutinized Tom Wilson drama. On Tuesday, the Capitals forward was fined but not suspended for his actions in a scrum against the Rangers, leaving New York winger Artemi Panarin injured.

Stemming from 2018-19, it's understandable if the Flyers have been left frustrated or perplexed by the NHL Department of Player Safety. Last season, head coach Alain Vigneault was mystified by a three-game suspension given to Farabee for interference. Two seasons ago, before Vigneault's arrival, Jakub Voracek received a two-game suspension for interference as Johnny Boychuk pursued the Flyers' forward who had the puck.

That same season, the Flyers weren't thrilled when Evgeni Malkin was given only one game for swinging his stick near Raffl's head or when Kurtis Gabriel was banned one game for boarding Patrick.

The anti-Flyers bias is real.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

The double standards have been pronounced for decades, perhaps the odor not as significant as it once permeated. However, if the three recent ballyhooed events are analyzed and micromanaged -- Wilson, Crosby and Ghost -- then the NHL has sent a message that either it protects its higher named players, head/neck potential injuries/roughness is secondary and counterintuitive to the process or it depends on who is identified as the party involved. Let's hope the middle part is hogwash. The first and third of those possibilities even if quantified sends a discouraging message. Past histories favor Ghost or should have. Does he get an additional timeout if he had a checkered past? At the risk of bringing more ancient history into context, it is important to note that NHL's perceived bias. Many exist on film: Chris Chelios-Brian Propp. But when personnel come here from other teams -- Pat Quinn and Jeremy Roenick to name two (and trust me I can cite others) -- and openly state the NHL has an agenda against the Flyers, then Houston we have a problem. That isn't one fragmented era either: we are spanning many decades of openness and disillusionment. There are always going to be inconsistencies when human interaction is involved and certainly as fans, we see things differently even internally. Look at the Rangers supposed different reactions among management with the recent statement involving Wilson. But something reeks and has for a while.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The double standards have been pronounced for decades, perhaps the odor not as significant as it once permeated. However, if the three recent ballyhooed events are analyzed and micromanaged -- Wilson, Crosby and Ghost -- then the NHL has sent a message that either it protects its higher named players, head/neck potential injuries/roughness is secondary and counterintuitive to the process or it depends on who is identified as the party involved. Let's hope the middle part is hogwash. The first and third of those possibilities even if quantified sends a discouraging message. Past histories favor Ghost or should have. Does he get an additional timeout if he had a checkered past? At the risk of bringing more ancient history into context, it is important to note that NHL's perceived bias. Many exist on film: Chris Chelios-Brian Propp. But when personnel come here from other teams -- Pat Quinn and Jeremy Roenick to name two (and trust me I can cite others) -- and openly state the NHL has an agenda against the Flyers, then Houston we have a problem. That isn't one small era either. We are spanning many decades of openness. There are always going to be inconsistencies when human interaction is involved and certainly as fans, we see things differently even internally. Look at the Rangers supposed different reactions among management with the recent statement involving Wilson.

It was illuminating to see interviews about the BSB with various league officials and hockey people bragging about how they hate the Flyers or were raised to hate the Flyers as the ultimate disgraceful evil.

The franchise is still being punished for being mean in the 1970s.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
It was illuminating to see interviews about the BSB with various league officials and hockey people bragging about how they hate the Flyers or were raised to hate the Flyers as the ultimate disgraceful evil.

The franchise is still being punished for being mean in the 1970s.

I am not sure if you know the name Andy Bathgate. He was a Ranger among other teams. He was once asked about his era and that which existed prior to the Bullies and he raised his hand and said -- and I am paraphrasing -- "See that...that happened in 1960....see that, that happened in 1964...." Again, I am using his words loosely. But he cited how players used very rough tactics prior to the Bullies but due to the lack of significant technology, one isn't aware.

Or as Phil Esposito said, one of my favorite quotes, "They still tended goal, played defensive, scored goals... better than any other team." Again, paraphrasing.

If someone's limited access to the 1970s is ESPN (or its equal), a YouTube clip of a brawl or a relative who didn't like the Flyers and reiterated certain misgivings, then forgive me if I sidestep any serious response.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
The double standards have been pronounced for decades, perhaps the odor not as significant as it once permeated. However, if the three recent ballyhooed events are analyzed and micromanaged -- Wilson, Crosby and Ghost -- then the NHL has sent a message that either it protects its higher named players,
Then what is Panarin? If Wilson had done this to Crosby, McDavid, Matthews, etc. he would have been nailed? IMO, Panarin is in the same category. An AS was shanghaied by a thug and got away with it. That's a hell of a good look NHL.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
So is Gostisbehere tough now?

He has been among the most engaged players on the ice, far beyond chasing down Friedman at the nothing end of a nothing game. He has thrown some of the hardest hits and looked hungriest for the puck. I particularly appreciate when he gets the puck behind the net, he is fully looking at options rather than flinging a beanbag to centre ice, which includes tracking how the forechecker will be playing him. Against the Penguins, I noticed a subtle counter-adjustment of Gostisbehere's movement from behind the net: on one play, rather than stand in front of the net, the forechecker tried to go after Gost and he moved out on the other side and headed up ice. A few minutes later, the forechecker didn't even hesitate before trying to fish him out, and Gost was moving ahead on the opposite side before the forechecker even got to the far post. It was the type of baiting that a confident puck-mover does and SO much more effective than the mechanical stretch pass.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

It's been that way for years and somehow i've had to argue this with other Flyers fans.

It's not hard to find the proof.

The Farabee hit is the perfect example. Player with no history of discipline gets 3 games for interference when there are literally DOZENS of examples of plays as bad or worse over the past few years that have received no suspension or a slap on the wrist 1 gamer.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
"Finally became a Flyer, just too little too late, and the 5th round pick was so enticing..."

I just hope AV plays him once the suspension is done.

I don’t think it should, but if this Flyers/Ghost story must end. I want it to end in a way worthy of remembrance. Not with a suspension and subsequent benching.

Whether someone likes him or not, he’s done some beautiful things on the ice for this team.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It's been that way for years and somehow i've had to argue this with other Flyers fans.

It's not hard to find the proof.

The Farabee hit is the perfect example. Player with no history of discipline gets 3 games for interference when there are literally DOZENS of examples of plays as bad or worse over the past few years that have received no suspension or a slap on the wrist 1 gamer.

Social media have aided and abetted our snap judgements about individual occurrences without context. In few of the incidents for which Flyers were suspended could we say definitively that a suspension wasn't warranted and, in fact, on several occasions I have been in complete agreement with the punishment length for the offense. HOWEVER, there is no good reason for why the DoPS only does their job properly when looking at a Flyer-related incident and consistently fall flat on their faces with other equally bad or even worse infractions. The Flyers are the kid kept in at recess when the majority of the class were being disrupted, or the one speeding car the cop pulls over when traffic flow is above the limit.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Learning about brain damage and taking steps to prevent it isn't "soft."

There was a nice movie years back, forget the name with Will Smith about the effects of head trauma in sports.

They get a shitload of money, and can sometimes basically retire super early in life but the damage some of these brains get...

Reactions: Beef Invictus

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
There was a nice movie years back, forget the name with Will Smith about the effects of head trauma in sports.

They get a shitload of money, and can sometimes basically retire super early in life but the damage some of these brains get...

It was called Concussion.

Some of these former players have gone on violent rages against loved ones, and several have commit suicide.

The doctor played by Will Smith was instrumental in getting access to deceased players' brains to further research into CTE (chronic traumatic encephalopathy). The damage to the brain is visible, and the only time it can be studied unfortunately is post-mortem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad