Roster Moves: Gostisbehere suspended for two games for hit on Friedman

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
If guys like George Parros had it his way guys like George Parros would still be in NHL lineups on a nightly basis in 2021. A lot of these higher ups played in different eras & just don’t like that the game is headed away from that with each passing 5-10 years.

While he can legitimately play hockey in middle of the lineup capacity even Tom Wilson’s are becoming essentially the Last of the Mohicans too. As there’s just not that many of those types that play at the development levels anymore either.

So that’s their bias towards Wilson. He’s a guy they can cling on to for now.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
“While defenseman Shayne Gostisbehere had a nice bounce back season -- with 20 points in 40 games, along with a +/- rating of -5 -- the Flyers struggled with fit issues on the backend all season, compiled by Matt Niskanen’s absence on the top pair. Flyers general manager, Chuck Fletcher, watched his team bleed too many goals. At that point, a 3rd pairing offensive defenseman became a luxury the Flyers could simply not afford. This was Fletcher's logic behind trading Gostisbehere and a 2nd round draft pick to the Seattle Kraken, in the process freeing up the cap space for David Savard’s new 4 year contract.

As Fletcher said after the signing, ‘We really like the shape of our defense this season with adding David. David's been around the block. He brings that defense first, hard to play against game that we felt was lacking. We obviously need more out of the rest of the group, especially the young guys, but this is a good fit for our hockey club.’

If the number one priority this off-season was to solve the goals against mystery, the Flyers believe they are on the right track.”

-Bill Meltzer (NHL.com), July 2021​

This is sensational. Do you moonlight as his ghostwriter?

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It shouldn’t be a factor, but I wonder if the league is hesitant to hit Wilson with a huge suspension. At this point another suspension for Wilson will be many games

The last time they did he appealed it & got it slashed down by an independent arbitrator.

The CBA creates leniency in general. But guys like Wilson & Marchand get paid well & essentially can’t be banished away like a Torres was. Neither are bottom of the lineup or fringe players. So the fear of just getting fazed out if they don’t make serious changes just isn’t there like it is for other players.

Obviously Wilson & Marchand are archetypes of what a hockey player should be to most of the higher ups in this league. So you have that bias in play too.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
The last time they did he appealed it & got it slashed down by an independent arbitrator.

The CBA creates leniency in general. But guys like Wilson & Marchand get paid well & essentially can’t be banished away like a Torres was. Neither are bottom of the lineup or fringe players. So the fear of just getting fazed out if they don’t make serious changes just isn’t there like it is for other players.

Obviously Wilson & Marchand are archetypes of what a hockey player should be to most of the higher ups in this league. So you have that bias in play too.
Yep. We know player safety is a sham and mostly PR. The league is more afraid of a good player on a contender being suspended in the PO’s. It’s a business at the end of the day

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
183381006_1195251754243713_1558916952602813666_n.jpg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
20 pts in 40 games...so a 41 pt pace
9 goals...so 18 goal pace

Since Feb 24th
3rd in the league in goals
20th in the league in points
16th in ES goals
1st in PP goals
11th in PP points

It is pretty funny that we are likely exposing Ghost + 2 60+ point forwards while we protect Myers, Patrick and Lindblom

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
20 pts in 40 games...so a 41 pt pace
9 goals...so 18 goal pace

Since Feb 24th
3rd in the league in goals
20th in the league in points
16th in ES goals
1st in PP goals
11th in PP points

It is pretty funny that we are likely exposing Ghost + 2 60+ point forwards while we protect Myers, Patrick and Lindblom

Mehhhh. 20 points in 40 games & very shaky defense aren’t worth a $4.5M cap hit for two more seasons. There’s a reason every team in the league passed him up for free.

I say that acknowledging he’s been better offensively lately & as someone who supports that he’s shown some spunk on a team that needs it.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Mehhhh. 20 points in 40 games & very shaky defense aren’t worth a $4.5M cap hit for two more seasons. There’s a reason every team in the league passed him up for free.

I say that acknowledging he’s been better offensively lately & as someone who supports that he’s shown some spunk on a team that needs it.
Ghost has been not been worse than any other of our Dmen this year, defensively.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario

$4.5 million for a 40+ point dman who, at worst, is average in his own end seems fine to me.

Last edited:

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
$4.5 million for a 40+ point dman, who at worst is average in his own end, seems fine to me.
He’s not average in his own end. And his offense is very inconsistent. It’s a bad contract. Every single team in the league could have taken it for free & passed. He’s had some good puck luck re: goals, but his assist stats are bad.

Reactions: LorneMalvo and JXC

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
$4.5 million for a 40+ point dman who, at worst, is average in his own end seems fine to me.
Ghost has played 6 seasons now...and 5/6 of them he paced for at least 37 points. Only last year was the exception.

Also of note....I could be wrong but I think no one with a cap hit over 1.5 million was claimed on waivers this year. Almost like lots of teams were up against the cap.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
He’s not average in his own end. And his offense is very inconsistent. It’s a bad contract. Every single team in the league could have taken it for free & passed. He’s had some good puck luck re: goals, but his assist stats are bad.
I don’t think his offense is inconsistent. He’s battling horrendous usage since AV arrived. He finally starts being put into a position to succeed and boom, 9 goals in 42 games.

I’m fully expecting him to not be around next year and it will be noticeable.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I don’t think his offense is inconsistent. He’s battling horrendous usage since AV arrived. He finally starts being put into a position to succeed and boom, 9 goals in 42 games.

And his point total is with fluke low assists too.

For example, he has 5 goals and only 4 assists on the PP. Only 6 assists at 5v5.

41 point pace with awful usage and awful luck.

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

He didn’t have horrendous usage at all last season . He just didn’t score. And then he came out and said he was not able to play how he wanted due to injuries.

Reactions: Tripod

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad