OT: Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Can't watch because i'm not on Facebook but that is a good idea. Is this recent? If it is you are a lucky bastard to still have that weather. :laugh:

Weird, you should be able to see it. I'll try something else. Anyway, yeah, it was almost 60 degrees F today.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Wired, you should be able to see it. I'll try something else. Anyway, yeah, it was almost 60 degrees F today.
Bastard again. :laugh: I'm probably the only person in the world not on Facebook , everyone else will be able to see it.:laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Bastard again. :laugh: I'm probably the only person in the world not on Facebook , everyone else will be able to see it.:laugh:

Not quite, but ultimately probably the best decision you ever made.

Facebook (FakeBook) is 70/30 for me. I like keeping in touch with some long lost buddies so I plug my nose.

Twitter in my opinion is the most negative platform. I might check it out once a week but targeted in and out surgical strikes.

Reactions: Jets 31

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Yes, not a bad swing. :thumbu:

You're too kind. I have several things to work on, but I feel like I have a solid base.

Facebook (FakeBook) is 70/30 for me. I like keeping in touch with some long lost buddies so I plug my nose.

Twitter in my opinion is the most negative platform. I might check it out once a week but targeted in and out surgical strikes.

Facebook is what you make of it. If you don't get sucked into the nonsense it's fine. If you can't scroll by something without adding your own 2 cents, it can become a cesspool.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You're too kind. I have several things to work on, but I feel like I have a solid base.

Facebook is what you make of it. If you don't get sucked into the nonsense it's fine. If you can't scroll by something without adding your own 2 cents, it can become a cesspool.

I stay out of it on Facebook. Twitter is a bit more in your face. I find it to be a complete cesspool.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hey Gang

My son is 12 and I want to buy him a starter set of clubs for this upcoming season for Christmas. I don't want to break the bank since this is just to get him going and make sure he likes the sport. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Hey Gang

My son is 12 and I want to buy him a starter set of clubs for this upcoming season for Christmas. I don't want to break the bank since this is just to get him going and make sure he likes the sport. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Is he brand conscious yet? Probably. Sorry.

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/shop-by-sport/golf/mens-golf-clubs/package-golf-sets/product/powerbilt-tpx-10-mens-package-set-332494733.html#332494733[size]=0

Powerbilt may not tick the cool name but that's a good deal on a set.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07H2HQJR5...b8b-5457-bb80-6d7d4e911078&pf_rd_i=2439156011

Callaway will tick the brand issue though.

I expect they are both matrix construction though I didn't check. If you're a stronger hitter matrix clubs can actually be dented on the face. I did this with my first set of Wilson's that I bought from Sports Experts (before they were Sport Chek) and they got me through a couple of years. Like 2. But I was 30 at the time.

Growing up I just played my parents clubs but a totally different time in that nobody was really all that brand conscious in the way we all are today. They were old Wilson's as well, really old.

I think a complete set like that is probably good for a couple of years and if he changes his mind about liking golf one way or the other the loss is pretty minimal. Bag, woods, irons, wedge, putter for the cost of what you'd pay for a driver? And respectfully he's probably not going to outplay the sets initially. Then you can give him your castoffs in three years to justify buying new stuff for yourself.

Only caveat is most sets out there are for righties, so here's hoping he's not a freak like me.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hey Gang

You could check out Kijiji too for a used set. I went many years with just a crap set of clubs, if he really enjoys playing then you could move up. :thumbu:

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
You could check out Kijiji too for a used set. I went many years with just a crap set of clubs, if he really enjoys playing then you could move up. :thumbu:
Yeah, if he's a lefty, I know a guy with a completely unsuitable set of Titleist DCI981s that he could let you have for pretty cheap. :naughty:

Stiff shafts, oversized grips. It's almost like he's compensating for something. :oops:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Is he brand conscious yet? Probably. Sorry.

https://www.sportchek.ca/categories/shop-by-sport/golf/mens-golf-clubs/package-golf-sets/product/powerbilt-tpx-10-mens-package-set-332494733.html#332494733[size]=0

Powerbilt may not tick the cool name but that's a good deal on a set.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07H2HQJR5...b8b-5457-bb80-6d7d4e911078&pf_rd_i=2439156011

Callaway will tick the brand issue though.

I expect they are both matrix construction though I didn't check. If you're a stronger hitter matrix clubs can actually be dented on the face. I did this with my first set of Wilson's that I bought from Sports Experts (before they were Sport Chek) and they got me through a couple of years. Like 2. But I was 30 at the time.

Growing up I just played my parents clubs but a totally different time in that nobody was really all that brand conscious in the way we all are today. They were old Wilson's as well, really old.

I think a complete set like that is probably good for a couple of years and if he changes his mind about liking golf one way or the other the loss is pretty minimal. Bag, woods, irons, wedge, putter for the cost of what you'd pay for a driver? And respectfully he's probably not going to outplay the sets initially. Then you can give him your castoffs in three years to justify buying new stuff for yourself.

Only caveat is most sets out there are for righties, so here's hoping he's not a freak like me.

Yea my son is not quite 5' and he's about 70 pounds so he is smallish for grade 7. He will play right handed even though is grandpa who's a lefty started him out using his clubs since the kid shots left in hockey :huh::confused:. Thanks for the ideas guys!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Hey Gang

Man, I've been meaning to catch up with this thread and contribute some things to your posts about playing with your son. I have a very similar story to yours and need to find some time to contribute to what you posted.

For now, as far as clubs go, I would highly recommend looking at a ladies set. 12 is such a tweener age for clubs, kids are often too big for most junior sets (which are very limited anyway and typically very overpriced), yet they aren't big/strong enough yet for men's clubs. Additionally, a set at 12 is only going to last so long given how quickly boys grow at that stage. I bought my son a ladies set when he was 12, it was his first set. Everything about them was perfect, length, shaft flex and grip sizes. I know there is a stigma around a young boy playing with a ladies set, but it really makes perfect sense when you think about the physiological factors. Fortunately these days women's sets come in many more style options than pink or teal green. Which makes it far less obvious that they are "ladies" clubs.

I got my son, now 14, a used set of men's clubs this Spring and I really think two years of playing with properly sized and weighted clubs made a huge difference in his swing. He swings properly and is now strong enough for men's flex shafts. Not developing bad habits by having to compensate for poorly fit clubs was the key.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Man, I've been meaning to catch up with this thread and contribute some things to your posts about playing with your son. I have a very similar story to yours and need to find some time to contribute to what you posted.

For now, as far as clubs go, I would highly recommend looking at a ladies set. 12 is such a tweener age for clubs, kids are often too big for most junior sets (which are very limited anyway and typically very overpriced), yet they aren't big/strong enough yet for men's clubs. Additionally, a set at 12 is only going to last so long given how quickly boys grow at that stage. I bought my son a ladies set when he was 12, it was his first set. Everything about them was perfect, length, shaft flex and grip sizes. I know there is a stigma around a young boy playing with a ladies set, but it really makes perfect sense when you think about the physiological factors. Fortunately these days women's sets come in many more style options than pink or teal green. Which makes it far less obvious that they are "ladies" clubs.

I got my son, now 14, a used set of men's clubs this Spring and I really think two years of playing with properly sized and weighted clubs made a huge difference in his swing. He swings properly and is now strong enough for men's flex shafts. Not developing bad habits by having to compensate for poorly fit clubs was the key.

This is a really excellent point. I keep saying I used my parents clubs when I was a kid at the Canoe Club but it really sort of transitioned from using my mom's (ladies) to my dad's over a couple of years just as Ducky10 describes. In grade 7 I was about 5'2" and weak like a kitten. By grade 9 I was up to 5'11" and still skinny as all get out, so not much strength but I transitioned to my dad's clubs because they were longer and my mom's clubs felt too short. There were no kids clubs back in the day.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hey Gang

Here's one site that sells in Canada... new and used...

Kids New Golf Clubs at GlobalGolf.ca

Here's another one...

Pre-Owned Junior Clubs Right Hand – Golf Stuff

And Ducky10's idea of a women's set is a great idea (just make sure he doesn't know that and they can't be identified as such by some punk friend - peers at that age can be brutal)

:popcorn:

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I too used a women's set as a kid for a couple years. That's a good way to go about it for a few years, then if he takes interest transition him into men's clubs around 14/15 depending on how big/strong he is.

Good points about stigma though, unfortunately there still is the psychological component of using women's clubs as a boy. As long as they aren't obviously women's it shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: Ducky10

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I too used a women's set as a kid for a couple years. That's a good way to go about it for a few years, then if he takes interest transition him into men's clubs around 14/15 depending on how big/strong he is.

Good points about stigma though, unfortunately there still is the psychological component of using women's clubs as a boy. As long as they aren't obviously women's it shouldn't be a problem.
Bubba uses a pink driver so that helps. :laugh:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Man i miss golf and it's only been 2 months . :banghead: We at least always go somewhere during the winter and golf , gives you a break from winter and lets you golf 4 or 5 games , not this year. :(

Reactions: Ducky10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad