OT: Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Grips are a big part of getting fitted and if you buy “off the rack” clubs, they will have standard grips. Grips aren’t rocket science, it’s really about hand size first and then how firm or soft it is. The standard grip on your Cobra 3w is funny, probably something to do with adjusting to the club.

Absolutely. I just keep bringing up the 3 wood because it's the anomaly in everything I do. I hadn't played it in years, the grip size is technically wrong for me, it's super old tech (2006 model year). I even keep calling it a Cobra when it's a Callaway (I've only bought Cobra woods for the last ten years). It's a frickin' unicorn.

I completely agree with everything you're saying about getting fitted. I agree that lessons are critical for most people (not me, I'm too screwed up to fix). Practice is hugely important and ignored by everyone. But the 3 wood just keeps reminding me that golf is played between your ears more than anywhere else. It shouldn't play as well as it does, but it does.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Oddly enough I have a much easier time lightening or loosening my grip on standard size grips than on mid or oversized grips. My hands are on the small side of average, so that's probably got something to do with it.

I've been toying around with the idea of a golf simulator recently. Anybody own one? The range of prices is pretty wide, from maybe something to spend my bonus on to I'm not selling my car and dipping into savings for that.

Reactions: Ducky10

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Absolutely. I just keep bringing up the 3 wood because it's the anomaly in everything I do. I hadn't played it in years, the grip size is technically wrong for me, it's super old tech (2006 model year). I even keep calling it a Cobra when it's a Callaway (I've only bought Cobra woods for the last ten years). It's a frickin' unicorn.

I completely agree with everything you're saying about getting fitted. I agree that lessons are critical for most people (not me, I'm too screwed up to fix). Practice is hugely important and ignored by everyone. But the 3 wood just keeps reminding me that golf is played between your ears more than anywhere else. It shouldn't play as well as it does, but it does.
Agreed on lessons vs practice. Feedback and some instruction is good but teaching is often too cookie cutter and doesn’t address individuals enough.

I’ve never taken a formal lesson but I’ve bent the ear of many a good player and asked them things about the swing, sometimes they’ve offered advice. I don’t think enough people truly try to learn how the golf swing is supposed to work and practice the key elements. When I was young I used to pour over all the tips sections in Golf Digest and Golf magazine, as well as reading books by guys like Nicklaus. I’d take the things that appealed to me and made sense in my head felt natural. Ones that didn’t fee right or were overly technical, I’d disregard.

After many years away from the game I recently began to play again and it was amazing how things fell back into place after awhile. The key was definitely practice and regaining some muscle memory. I clawed my way back to a 5 handicap, only 2 away from my younger days. The far bigger challenge was teaching my 14 year old son how to play properly. He’s very athletic and I recalled from my youth that it’s critically important to let young players be athletic and not inundate them with technical thoughts. What was hard was remembering all those little, critical fundamentals that all good golf swings need to have and being able to convey them to him. I had the best golf year of my life playing and practicing with him and in only his second year of playing he’s a 14 handicap and has the ability to get into single digits next year. Unfortunately he seems to have inherited his putting ability from his old man so it might be harder than expected :laugh:.

Anyway, bit of a tangent there, just wanted to express my agreement with your practice comment.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Golf is definitely a mental game, you have confidence in that 3 wood so you hit it good. A couple of years ago i lost confidence in my 3 wood and stopped hitting it, this year i said screw it right from the start of the year and low and behold i started hitting it good. Confidence is huge in this goofy game we love to play.

Reactions: Ducky10 and buggs

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Agreed on lessons vs practice. Feedback and some instruction is good but teaching is often too cookie cutter and doesn’t address individuals enough.

I’ve never taken a formal lesson but I’ve bent the ear of many a good player and asked them things about the swing, sometimes they’ve offered advice. I don’t think enough people truly try to learn how the golf swing is supposed to work and practice the key elements. When I was young I used to pour over all the tips sections in Golf Digest and Golf magazine, as well as reading books by guys like Nicklaus. I’d take the things that appealed to me and made sense in my head felt natural. Ones that didn’t fee right or were overly technical, I’d disregard.

After many years away from the game I recently began to play again and it was amazing how things fell back into place after awhile. The key was definitely practice and regaining some muscle memory. I clawed my way back to a 5 handicap, only 2 away from my younger days. The far bigger challenge was teaching my 14 year old son how to play properly. He’s very athletic and I recalled from my youth that it’s critically important to let young players be athletic and not inundate them with technical thoughts. What was hard was remembering all those little, critical fundamentals that all good golf swings need to have and being able to convey them to him. I had the best golf year of my life playing and practicing with him and in only his second year of playing he’s a 14 handicap and has the ability to get into single digits next year. Unfortunately he seems to have inherited his putting ability from his old man so it might be harder than expected :laugh:.

Anyway, bit of a tangent there, just wanted to express my agreement with your practice comment.
5 handicap ? I wish, got down to a 12 for a while this year but ended at a 14 . One thing i noticed this year with the new handicap system is my handicap moved around alot more than before and a few times this year i was 2 shots lower from our back tees than our middle tees. Playing over 100 games a year probably made it move around more too though.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
If you are a righty'... #pronatedrighthand...

Then... right palm slap on ball at impact... with left arm slightly ahead of the ball and left wrist ahead of the ball at impact angled forwards towards the turf...

Simple... :laugh:
Even better...I'm a lefty.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Well no Golftec for a while... damn Covid...

Just treadmill and my yoga/strength training...

Sigh... :oops:

Oh and the Masters starts tomorrow... :thumbu:

Something to watch on the treadmill...

Reactions: Jets 31

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well no Golftec for a while... damn Covid...

Just treadmill and my yoga/strength training...

Sigh... :oops:

Oh and the Masters starts tomorrow... :thumbu:

Something to watch on the treadmill...

Two lessons In and they are shutting me down :(

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Truth. Always fun to go to Hawaii and golf as lefties are real novelties.

The slowpitch team I used to play for had 7 lefties on it, I still golf with most of those guys. Throws people for a loop as we usually aren't that concentrated in one place.

Don't recall the exact stats but it's something like 25-30% in Canada for LH golfers but only 2% Stateside.

Reactions: Ducky10

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

The slowpitch team I used to play for had 7 lefties on it, I still golf with most of those guys. Throws people for a loop as we usually aren't that concentrated in one place.

Don't recall the exact stats but it's something like 25-30% in Canada for LH golfers but only 2% Stateside.

I feel like I'm starting to see more lefties here. Buy yeah, the huge majority are righties. And every single one of us lefties inevitably gets compared to Phil Mickelson....

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014

My kid is a lefty....sigh. Teaching him to to play is hard enough without him hitting the wrong way :eek:.

Reactions: Jets 31

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
124818012_10124094779251124_1364530277804185870_o.jpg
124818893_10124094779136354_6058946713393594453_o.jpg

124659215_10124094779116394_334504976756038491_o.jpg

Note I threw a couple old wedges in the bag recently. Will go back to the SM7s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad