OT: Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just thought we might have enough golfers in Jets land that we could start a thread , especially when it might be the only sport that can be played for a while. I'm a member and play in and around 100 games a year and this damn game can be so fun but yet so maddening. :laugh:

Reactions: Eyeseeing

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
I am a member of a club in Cabo where I play roughly 150 rounds a year. As I close in on my 69th birthday I find my game declining in distance but still enjoyable. I am a 15 handicapper, up from single digits just 5 years ago. Growing old isn’t for sissies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So far I am happy to say I have been able to safely avoid my tormentor so far this season.

I might have a 9 hole every second Friday afternoon gig this summer still so stay tuned.

I have to golf Europe again next August so “Winter is Coming”. I was going to rebuild the golf swing at golfteck this spring but it looks like that project might wait until the off season now.

Reactions: Jets 31

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I am a member of a club in Cabo where I play roughly 150 rounds a year. As I close in on my 69th birthday I find my game declining in distance but still enjoyable. I am a 15 handicapper, up from single digits just 5 years ago. Growing old isn’t for sissies.

My dad will be celebrating his 90th Birthday this January and he golfed about 200 rounds a year until he was 85. He lost allot of distance over the years but switching to the forward tees bought him at least 15 more good years of scoring. As he hit 80 his favourite thing to do was beat his age. He was always a good golfer even though he use to take July August off every year to go to an isolated lake.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
My dad will be celebrating his 90th Birthday this January and he golfed about 200 rounds a year until he was 85. He lost allot of distance over the years but switching to the forward tees bought him at least 15 more good years of scoring. As he hit 80 his favourite thing to do was beat his age. He was always a good golfer even though he use to take July August off every year to go to an isolated lake.
Sounds like my grandpa! He's I think 88 now, still playing more than I do! Complains about how he can't hit it far I just tell him you're 88 what do you expect! lol.

What a cool sport that you can play it till you're near your death bed.

My game hasn't been as good so far this year but think I found something at the range the other day (we'll see how long that actually lasts lol). Probably have 20 rounds in so far this year. I'm a member at Glendale and play Men's Night, which is a blast. Been playing since I was 3, have gotten as low as a 2 handicap currently sit at a 4.

Now if we could do something about the hurricane like winds this summer that would be greaaaaat.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Sounds like my grandpa! He's I think 88 now, still playing more than I do! Complains about how he can't hit it far I just tell him you're 88 what do you expect! lol.

My game hasn't been as good so far this year but think I found something at the range the other day (we'll see how long that actually lasts lol). Probably have 20 rounds in so far this year. I'm a member at Glendale and play Men's Night, which is a blast. Been playing since I was 3, have gotten as low as a 2 handicap currently sit at a 4.

Now if we could do something about the hurricane like winds this summer that would be greaaaaat.
You are frigging good, if i could ever get in the single digit range i'd be super happy. Course then you would want to get better once you got there. :laugh: I'm at St.Boniface but i played Glendale last year and really enjoyed it. I'm as low as i think i'm going to get, 13 . Yesterday i was even par on the front and then the Monsoon rain came and we had to quit. :(

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
A member of a club in CABO ?? You lucky bastard . :laugh: When are you inviting some of your close Jets fans down. :naughty:

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
You are frigging good, if i could ever get in the single digit range i'd be super happy. Course then you would want to get better once you got there. :laugh: I'm at St.Boniface but i played Glendale last year and really enjoyed it. I'm as low as i think i'm going to get, 13 . Yesterday i was even par on the front and then the Monsoon rain came and we had to quit. :(
Nothing worse than getting rained out in the middle of a great round!

You can always get better! What I try to tell people that want to get better is that, as much more fun it is to play rounds, practice is where you get better. You can hit 50 pitch shots, 50 drives, 100 iron shots, 100 putts in way less time than it takes to play a full round where you're hitting maybe 40-50 shots and 40ish putts.

Glendale is a good course, I'm only 27 so an intermediate member and it is good value in terms of money. I've played St. B before but not for a longgg time.

Reactions: Ducky10 and Jets 31

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Nothing worse than getting rained out in the middle of a great round!

You can always get better! What I try to tell people that want to get better is that, as much more fun it is to play rounds, practice is where you get better. You can hit 50 pitch shots, 50 drives, 100 iron shots, 100 putts in way less time than it takes to play a full round where you're hitting maybe 40-50 shots and 40ish putts.

Glendale is a good course, I'm only 27 so an intermediate member and it is good value in terms of money. I've played St. B before but not for a longgg time.
We unfortunately don't have a range but i totally agree with you about practice, i wish i was more motivated to practice. St.B is a very good course for the money but i think there will be a few courses hurting after this year with no tournaments or weddings , those 2 things bring in alot of money for the clubs. I was a member at Elmhurst with my brother-in-law for a couple of years but he was useless to me because his company paid his dues. Hey it's a beauty day let's go golf, naaaa it's too hot. :help:

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
We unfortunately don't have a range but i totally agree with you about practice, i wish i was more motivated to practice. St.B is a very good course for the money but i think there will be a few courses hurting after this year with no tournaments or weddings , those 2 things bring in alot of money for the clubs. I was a member at Elmhurst with my brother-in-law for a couple of years but he was useless to me because his company paid his dues. Hey it's a beauty day let's go golf, naaaa it's too hot. :help:
Damn, no range is a bummer.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Love to play but seemed like I never got out as much over the last 10 years or so (once I started having kids). This summer I joined a mens league at Kingswood, and it's great to have a regular game. Even just a few games in and I can see myself getting better. Broke 40 which is great for me.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

STUD

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Love to play but seemed like I never got out as much over the last 10 years or so (once I started having kids). This summer I joined a mens league at Kingswood, and it's great to have a regular game. Even just a few games in and I can see myself getting better. Broke 40 which is great for me.
I used to play a lot (for me, 30-40 rounds a year; not a member anywhere) until my daughter was born and then it dropped right off. She's 20 now so it has ramped back up, though the last couple of years I was recovering from being pretty sick so it wasn't very productive. But I don't regret missing any golf to hang out with my kid.

That said my target is to get back to the 30-40 rounds a year, or once or twice a week. Not very good, was around a 12 handicap and can still play that and a bit better but I can hit 100 too if the conditions are right(?) I'll join a club when I retire, which is probably 5-6 years out, depending on how much the parasite requires for university education going forward.

My old job was great in that I was in the country a ton on overnights so I got to play nearly all of the rural courses at least once. Absolutely loved playing Gilbert Plains and would highly recommend though it's a long drive from Winnipeg. Enjoyed it much more than Clear Lake, which is nice in its own right. As it is now I mostly play Mars Sandhills, River Oaks, St. B and Grand Pines. Playing Tuxedo today, first time in 20 years there.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
A member of a club in CABO ?? You lucky bastard . :laugh: When are you inviting some of your close Jets fans down. :naughty:
We already have a few Jets fans where I live. Anyone coming to Cabo please let me know in advance and I would be happy to have you golf with me at one of the best courses in the world, Querencia. It is a beauty!

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Good thread start!

I just picked it up again last summer after having not played for about a decade. My game right now is likely in the 10-15 hcp range, but I'm hoping to improve it over the summer. I'm battling a gnarly snap hook as my driver miss right now, so I'm considering admitting defeat and paying for lessons.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I use to golf 4 times a year from about age 32 to 45. I was approximately a 15 handicap and always seemed to shoot about 87. Since I have had kids I usually golf once a year. A few years back we went to Europe and golfed the Old course at St Andrews. That day there was 12 of us and the groupings included 2 members of the hockey hall of fame (both younger than me) and 2 owners of NHL teams. That day on the old course the golf gods said "Brad we have broken you down so today we will build you back up". I was the low man and shot a 78 and was one under from holes 8 through 18. It was a glorious day in Scotland. As the rounds wound down I asked the younger hall of fame members how it felt to not only be beat by an old man that doesn't golf, but one who was significantly better looking than them. I was fortunate they both had a sense of humor. They may have won 6 cups between them but for that day.....................I was king.

I really should have made that the last round of my life, lit the clubs on fire on a raft that I set loose out onto the Ocean Viking burial style.

Now I usually golf well over 100 and can't hit the fairway anymore with my driver. It doesn't help that I golf once a year.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Good thread start!

I just picked it up again last summer after having not played for about a decade. My game right now is likely in the 10-15 hcp range, but I'm hoping to improve it over the summer. I'm battling a gnarly snap hook as my driver miss right now, so I'm considering admitting defeat and paying for lessons.
Snap hook is not a good miss, I know that feeling lol.

I use to golf 4 times a year from about age 32 to 45. I was approximately a 15 handicap and always seemed to shoot about 87. Since I have had kids I usually golf once a year. A few years back we went to Europe and golfed the Old course at St Andrews. That day there was 12 of us and the groupings included 2 members of the hockey hall of fame (both younger than me) and 2 owners of NHL teams. That day on the old course the golf gods said "Brad we have broken you down so today we will build you back up". I was the low man and shot a 78 and was one under from holes 8 through 18. It was a glorious day in Scotland. As the rounds wound down I asked the younger hall of fame members how it felt to not only be beat by an old man that doesn't golf, but one who was significantly better looking than them. I was fortunate they both had a sense of humor. They may have won 6 cups between them but for that day.....................I was king.

I really should have made that the last round of my life, lit the clubs on fire on a raft that I set loose out onto the Ocean Viking burial style.

Now I usually golf well over 100 and can't hit the fairway anymore with my driver. It doesn't help that I golf once a year.
I...kinda hate you...

That sounds amazing lol.

Reactions: Jets 31 and ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I...kinda hate you...

That sounds amazing lol.

It was way WAY better than I just made it sound. Golfing that coarse was an out of body experience and I would have loved it on a bad day. I golfed Pebble a few years back and just hacked it to death but it was an memory I will never forget.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

I think about doing that pretty often, but usually not because of a good round.;)

That's an absolutely amazing golf experience though! Glad you got to have it, even if it's gonna be hard to top!

I...kinda hate you...

That sounds amazing lol.
It makes it a bit tricky! Especially on narrow holes (where I SHOULD use the driving iron I bought with those holes in mind, but no one ever accused me of being smart), where I might be hitting 3 off the tee because of it. I'm pretty pleased with the rest of my game right now though. Gonna try to make it up to Lake Superior later in the summer for a golf road trip with a labmate, so that is good motivation to not just go out and play with no plan.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
It was way WAY better than I just made it sound. Golfing that coarse was an out of body experience and I would have loved it on a bad day. I golfed Pebble a few years back and just hacked it to death but it was an memory I will never forget.
I don't think I'll ever get onto The Old Course with how restrictive it is, but I'll definitely get up to Pebble one day. It's on the list of courses I want to play....it's a long list lol.

I think about doing that pretty often, but usually not because of a good round.;)

That's an absolutely amazing golf experience though! Glad you got to have it, even if it's gonna be hard to top!

It makes it a bit tricky! Especially on narrow holes (where I SHOULD use the driving iron I bought with those holes in mind, but no one ever accused me of being smart), where I might be hitting 3 off the tee because of it. I'm pretty pleased with the rest of my game right now though. Gonna try to make it up to Lake Superior later in the summer for a golf road trip with a labmate, so that is good motivation to not just go out and play with no plan.
Sounds like a fun trip!

Yeah, not being able to get off the tee makes golf really hard. Playing from the trees or hitting 3 off the tee doesn't lead to scoring opportunities, if I could hit 80% fairways I'd be so much better at golf :banghead:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I played the Old Course in Scotland too, we put our names in for the ballot draw and got pulled. 2 days later i put our names in again just for shits and giggles and we got our names pulled again. :eek: Played Pebble a couple of years ago and it was fantastic, really small greens but what a course. Last year we played Spyglass and man is that a golf course, better than Pebble. We also played Poppy Hills which is more inland than Pebble and Spyglass but it's nice too.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Gawd 15 handicap
I’m in awe

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I don't think I'll ever get onto The Old Course with how restrictive it is, but I'll definitely get up to Pebble one day. It's on the list of courses I want to play....it's a long list lol.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Yeah, not being able to get off the tee makes golf really hard. Playing from the trees or hitting 3 off the tee doesn't lead to scoring opportunities, if I could hit 80% fairways I'd be so much better at golf :banghead:

I played the Old Course in Scotland too, we put our names in for the ballot draw and got pulled. 2 days later i put our names in again just for shits and giggles and we got our names pulled again. :eek: Played Pebble a couple of years ago and it was fantastic, really small greens but what a course. Last year we played Spyglass and man is that a golf course, better than Pebble. We also played Poppy Hills which is more inland than Pebble and Spyglass but it's nice too.

Top of my bucket list at this point of my life would be Augusta. A friend of mine has played it. My game is too shitty to play that course right now. I don’t think I have the contacts to get on but never say never.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Just thought we might have enough golfers in Jets land that we could start a thread , especially when it might be the only sport that can be played for a while. I'm a member and play in and around 100 games a year and this damn game can be so fun but yet so maddening. :laugh:
This is the best thread ever
I play 30-40 rounds.
I’m a member at Mars
I typically average 100
Today 96 and a few beverages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad