OT: Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I've heard good things about Golftec but never used it (I am too poor lol), honestly for your goal it will probably do the job. I'll always say, the most important thing to get better at golf is to practice. You saw it earlier in your life how much it helped and how quickly you can lose it. You seem like you have natural skill, so a few lessons and lots of practice and you'll be fine. If you only golf a few times a year and don't practice, forget about playing well and just try to enjoy the experience with friends.

For your son, I would say take him to the range and just try to make it fun. Try to make little games of it, encourage him when he does well. Take him for dinner after to make sure even if the golf isn't great he's having a good experience. Lessons are good, but before them I would let him just naturally swing at least a few times. See where he's at, sometimes kids (me) don't like the pressure of playing in a camp where the skill-level can vary so much, especially as a new golfer.

As for a quality range without a membership, that's tough. I don't have any great advice there as I have gone the membership route for most of my life. Buckets of balls are so annoyingly expensive.

I enjoy your golf stories and hope you and your son find the love of the game. I've been golfing with my dad and my grandpa since I was 4. I'm 27 now, my dads almost 65 and my grandpa is nearing 90 and still playing! It's a beautiful way to spend time with the people you love. I hope my children will love the game the way I do when I have them.

Great feedback thanks!!

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Ok the reason I am doing this is I really want to golf with my 12 year old son as he grows. The timing is great and I want to start doing father son rounds. I want to golf good enough to enjoy the day. I don’t need to crush the score card but I want to re-establish a cleaner game that lets me enjoy the day.

So:

Golftec is this the right path?

how should I use the tool and what has your experience been (right now I am doing 1 lesson 1 practice session per week.

How do I interstate that with real golf when the season starts?

Next season I want to get access to a quality range Without dropping $3000 on a membership I don’t use? Any advice?

My son would like to try golf. I want to start him with lessons or a camp that is fun. Any ideas.

Other general advice and micro management is welcome.
I have used the St.Vital range on the perimeter but once golf season starts i never go, always golfing. I've had some rounds with our golf pro and he's helped me quite a bit but never done Golftec so i can't help you with any feedback. I've taken my godson golfing a few times and it's been quite enjoyable, he's keen on the game, i wish i started golf at a earlier age, i didn't really start playing until i was about 21 years old. I love being a member and played 112 games this year, some good and some bad. It really is something how you can shoot 80 one day and 90 the very next day, WTH happened overnight? :help: :laugh:

Reactions: ps241

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Ok the reason I am doing this is I really want to golf with my 12 year old son as he grows. The timing is great and I want to start doing father son rounds. I want to golf good enough to enjoy the day. I don’t need to crush the score card but I want to re-establish a cleaner game that lets me enjoy the day.

So:

how should I use the tool and what has your experience been (right now I am doing 1 lesson 1 practice session per week.

Next season I want to get access to a quality range Without dropping $3000 on a membership I don’t use? Any advice?

My son would like to try golf. I want to start him with lessons or a camp that is fun. Any ideas.

Most important question to ask yourself is does your son want to golf? If yes, full steam ahead. If no, it's kind of a non-starter then. 12 is kind of an interesting age in that it's about when boys start (some sooner, some later of course) to express a degree of independence (for girl's we call that the 'dark cloud' era) and he may not be interested in hanging around with you for 4-6 hours a day (4.5 for the round, transport, meal, etc.) when he could be hanging out with his friends or playing sports he enjoys more. How this proceeds is almost entirely out of your hands. Maybe he gets really into it and loves it. Maybe he finds it too aggravating and frustrating, particularly if you're golfing really well and he feels foolish and hopeless? I'm not trying to go all negative here but there are possibilities other than the outcome you want to see.

If he is into it then it should be remarkably easy. I grew up down the street from the Canoe Club and as a junior we had access to everything with an all inclusive membership (best $50 my parents spent each year). I didn't even like golf at the time but my buddies were going golfing so it was do that or hit the tennis ball against the practice wall for 2.5 hours by myself. Being a kid/young adult and golfing makes it easy. You have nothing in your head, no back aches or pains, super flexible and the motion initially is quite easy so kids tend to do quite well. I used to break 40 regularly at the Canoe Club in my early teens in spite of not liking the game. Couldn't for the life of me understand why the old guys were always griping in the lounge. Now I know. Boy, do I know. As a side note I used my parents clubs which were right handed (there was remarkably little difference between men's and women's clubs at the time, so it didn't matter which I grabbed). I am not right handed. I didn't own left handed clubs until my late 20s. Served me well one time golfing on Maui because they were out of left handed rentals, so I had to golf with righties. It wasn't pretty but I honestly don't think the result was all that different from golfing on the other side after having not touched clubs for four months.

Only ranges I've used are Tuxedo (I don't think it was open for most of this year), south perimeter and the one on Plessis (Golf Central). All are ok, all are about the same price. Hackers and Smackers on Elmhurst is still there but I've only used it once (Tuxedo is closer for me). Shooters is seemingly always busy but not anywhere near where I live. As someone else mentioned the price of a bucket isn't cheap any more. But I don't have enough time to justify a membership at this point ( a couple of years from now I'll be golden) so I just accept it for what it is. But then I also don't go like I used to.

The only years I've ever scored well I golfed 2-3 rounds a week and went to the range 2x per week. I used the range time to work on whatever wasn't working on the course immediately proceeding. My wife did NOT enjoy my golf time at that point, perhaps not surprisingly since she doesn't golf.

Wish I could tell you something about golftec, but I'm terrified by the prospect of anyone tinkering with my game. I'm quite confident many of my mechanics would make a pro shudder, notably my inability to keep my feet planted on the tee box far too often. But when it works, it works. Consistency is my greatest nemesis and my errors tend to be primarily related to popping my head to watch my shot or dropping my back shoulder.

Totally off topic I want to relate a story about my 3 wood. I've been playing Cobra woods for some time and my driver is great when my mechanics are on (2013 is the year it came out, bought it for under $100 in 2015). But I really sort of despise my 3 wood and my hybrid. I didn't play much this year (12 rounds) but I couldn't make my 3 wood work at all, all year. Last round of the year at Bridges I brought out my old Callaway 3 wood, probably about a 2007 era club. Head size isn't different that current 3 wood but lacks the weighting adjustability. I remembered that I really hit that club well back when I was playing more and I thought I'd give it a shot. I hit that thing beautifully all day long. Hole 3 at Bridges I routinely struggle with because I hate my Cobra 3, it's too short to the water to hit driver and too long to hit driver. But that day I dropped it ideally where it should have been. Every time I hit that club it was perfect. The moral of the story is that the most important distance in golf is the length of space between your ears. I loved that club, I trusted that club and I can still hit that club. The Cobra is for the most part a vastly superior club. Except in my hands because I don't trust it.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Most important question to ask yourself is does your son want to golf? If yes, full steam ahead. If no, it's kind of a non-starter then. 12 is kind of an interesting age in that it's about when boys start (some sooner, some later of course) to express a degree of independence (for girl's we call that the 'dark cloud' era) and he may not be interested in hanging around with you for 4-6 hours a day (4.5 for the round, transport, meal, etc.) when he could be hanging out with his friends or playing sports he enjoys more. How this proceeds is almost entirely out of your hands. Maybe he gets really into it and loves it. Maybe he finds it too aggravating and frustrating, particularly if you're golfing really well and he feels foolish and hopeless? I'm not trying to go all negative here but there are possibilities other than the outcome you want to see.

If he is into it then it should be remarkably easy. I grew up down the street from the Canoe Club and as a junior we had access to everything with an all inclusive membership (best $50 my parents spent each year). I didn't even like golf at the time but my buddies were going golfing so it was do that or hit the tennis ball against the practice wall for 2.5 hours by myself. Being a kid/young adult and golfing makes it easy. You have nothing in your head, no back aches or pains, super flexible and the motion initially is quite easy so kids tend to do quite well. I used to break 40 regularly at the Canoe Club in my early teens in spite of not liking the game. Couldn't for the life of me understand why the old guys were always griping in the lounge. Now I know. Boy, do I know. As a side note I used my parents clubs which were right handed (there was remarkably little difference between men's and women's clubs at the time, so it didn't matter which I grabbed). I am not right handed. I didn't own left handed clubs until my late 20s. Served me well one time golfing on Maui because they were out of left handed rentals, so I had to golf with righties. It wasn't pretty but I honestly don't think the result was all that different from golfing on the other side after having not touched clubs for four months.

Only ranges I've used are Tuxedo (I don't think it was open for most of this year), south perimeter and the one on Plessis (Golf Central). All are ok, all are about the same price. Hackers and Smackers on Elmhurst is still there but I've only used it once (Tuxedo is closer for me). Shooters is seemingly always busy but not anywhere near where I live. As someone else mentioned the price of a bucket isn't cheap any more. But I don't have enough time to justify a membership at this point ( a couple of years from now I'll be golden) so I just accept it for what it is. But then I also don't go like I used to.

The only years I've ever scored well I golfed 2-3 rounds a week and went to the range 2x per week. I used the range time to work on whatever wasn't working on the course immediately proceeding. My wife did NOT enjoy my golf time at that point, perhaps not surprisingly since she doesn't golf.

Wish I could tell you something about golftec, but I'm terrified by the prospect of anyone tinkering with my game. I'm quite confident many of my mechanics would make a pro shudder, notably my inability to keep my feet planted on the tee box far too often. But when it works, it works. Consistency is my greatest nemesis and my errors tend to be primarily related to popping my head to watch my shot or dropping my back shoulder.

Totally off topic I want to relate a story about my 3 wood. I've been playing Cobra woods for some time and my driver is great when my mechanics are on (2013 is the year it came out, bought it for under $100 in 2015). But I really sort of despise my 3 wood and my hybrid. I didn't play much this year (12 rounds) but I couldn't make my 3 wood work at all, all year. Last round of the year at Bridges I brought out my old Callaway 3 wood, probably about a 2007 era club. Head size isn't different that current 3 wood but lacks the weighting adjustability. I remembered that I really hit that club well back when I was playing more and I thought I'd give it a shot. I hit that thing beautifully all day long. Hole 3 at Bridges I routinely struggle with because I hate my Cobra 3, it's too short to the water to hit driver and too long to hit driver. But that day I dropped it ideally where it should have been. Every time I hit that club it was perfect. The moral of the story is that the most important distance in golf is the length of space between your ears. I loved that club, I trusted that club and I can still hit that club. The Cobra is for the most part a vastly superior club. Except in my hands because I don't trust it.

Great post love it. Good question on my primary motivation and potential flaws.

I didn’t want to go too OT on background so I left out a few parts. My son wants to try golfing. When I say it’s my primary reason that is accurate but I have baked in the notion he may have his dads love of golf or lack thereof :laugh:. Also I get he will want to spend less time with me so it’s more of a long game want. One other thing is allot of my sons hockey buddies are starting to take up golf. I could see a fit there for him for sure.

second motivation is my semi annual euro golf trips. I love them but want show up more prepared.

Third is all my old buddies like to golf and that would be a chance to do that together. They keep asking me to join them.

Forth I could use the walking as I age. Not kidding about this part I would love the low impact exercise and it’s close to the primary reason for the pursuit.

Reactions: Jets 31

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Ok present day.

Last year we were committed as a big group to go to Portugal and Ireland as our euro tour. I decided I should probably not show up cold. I took my son to Long aNd McQade and in the same parking lot was golftec. I was curious so I dropped in to see what they were all about. I chatted with Mike and he said he could help with my problem. This was early March and I booked a swing analysis but then Covid hit and they were shut down.

We subsequently had to cancel our trip so I was off the hook with having to golf again so I decided to take the year off.

fast forward to my having some fun on a post complaining about the 4 or 5 holes I had to golf and contemplating retirement and @John Agar wrote a nice post talking about his Comeback and the message was not lost on me. He also was chatting about iPad and bio feedback that caught my attention.

last piece is I was chatting with a buddy in Calgary about business and he mentioned he was out golfing Banff with his golf coach. I said golf coach? He went on to walk me though his expieocne with Golftec and I decided then and there that the golf gods were trying hard to send me a sign. He couldn’t say enough positive things about what it had done for his game.

I got off the call and immediately rebooked with Mike for a swing analysis.

I went in about 3 weeks ago and I was blown away by the session. The technology is great! First off I was shocked at what I saw with my current swing especially when being shown side by side with a pro?? What had happened over the last 6 years.....seriously WTF? I have gotten older and I am way less flexible true.....but I had literally no turn anymore in my swing and my flight path was too steep and I was all arms and hands. No wonder I couldn’t hit fairway??

Given the recommendation and endorsement from my buddy and what I experienced I was sold and signed up for a package that will take me through the winter and we’ll into the golf season.

After two sessions I now have kind of reset the swing Wade taught me and Mike assures me we are starting from a really good spot. The side by sides display a vastly improved swing. As soon as I started turning my lead shoulder again it caused my club path to reestablish and things started feeling better. My hands are way to active still so I have to unlearn that but I have all winter.

I am just going to move to the advice part next post to break these up.

I kind of wondered if you had made the plunge into Golftec...

I have had My swing analysis done at Golftec and even though this summer of golf was an amazing journey with passable results from My practice with the bio-feed back technology...

It's amazing what you miss... little details, refinements... Golftec exposed those pretty quick...

I have just really started, but I have signed up for 10 lessons with practice time every week until the end of April...

So twice a month a lesson, followed up with a practice session and weeks in between just with practice and use of the technology to self monitor....

Along with Golftec I have committed to 50 minutes a day of a brisk, elevated treadmill walk... as well as every 2nd day a yoga and strength training regimen along the lines of this vid'...

I ordered the simple equipment to do these exercises...

:golfnana:

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba

So:

I have already given My two cents on Golftec...

Re: your Son...

Southwood for an Associate Membership is $800... gives you access to the range, including the pitching greens etc. (also up to 7 rounds of golf at Southwood for 70 each) ....

You must use a few hundred dollars of service in the clubhouse... easy peasy ... a few get togethers drinking beer in the clubhouse took care of this no problem... food is great there...

Southwood has Junior rates, so enquire about those. I know they had a day camp for kids, because I kept seeing them all together with one of the pro's week to week....

There were great suggestions from the other posters here... keep it fun for sure, absolute must...

Get your son a series of lessons with a patient, enthusiastic young pro... ask around...

Get your son the relatively cheap bio-feedback equipment to practice on his own ie. A Zepp, Android or Ipad, a tripod, and a golf glove to fit the 3D sensor onto...

https://www.amazon.com/Zepp-Golf-3D-Swing-Analyzer/dp/B01CL9802W

https://www.amazon.ca/Vstyle-Adjust...074S1PCMM&qid=1604350090&s=electronics&sr=1-1

For good measure get a Tour Striker ball... teaches how to stay connected...

https://www.amazon.ca/Tour-Striker-Smart-Ball/dp/B00II5RSR2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1WSRM6K6KFQYI&dchild=1&keywords=tour+striker+smart+ball&qid=1604350176&sprefix=tour+str,aps,244&sr=8-1

Here is Justin Rose using the Tour Striker in his practice...

Dad can setup his own profile on the Zepp so you can both use it and the Tour Striker...

Oh... and pay the freight on some 9 hole rounds out at Blumberg next summer for your son and a friend to go alone... cheap and forgiving environment...

:popcorn:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Golf is such a mental game , i had the same issue with my 3 wood. I have the Taylormade M1's , and last year i had no confidence in it and stopped hitting it. At the beginning of this season i said screw it and you are hitting this dummy, hit it pretty good all year. :dunce: :laugh:

Reactions: John Agar

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I kind of wondered if you had made the plunge into Golftec...

I have had My swing analysis done at Golftec and even though this summer of golf was an amazing journey with passable results from My practice with the bio-feed back technology...

It's amazing what you miss... little details, refinements... Golftec exposed those pretty quick...

I have just really started, but I have signed up for 10 lessons with practice time every week until the end of April...

So twice a month a lesson, followed up with a practice session and weeks in between just with practice and use of the technology to self monitor....

Along with Golftec I have committed to 50 minutes a day of a brisk, elevated treadmill walk... as well as every 2nd day a yoga and strength training regimen along the lines of this vid'...

I ordered the simple equipment to do these exercises...

:golfnana:

I have already given My two cents on Golftec...

Re: your Son...

Southwood for an Associate Membership is $800... gives you access to the range, including the pitching greens etc. (also up to 7 rounds of golf at Southwood for 70 each) ....

You must use a few hundred dollars of service in the clubhouse... easy peasy ... a few get togethers drinking beer in the clubhouse took care of this no problem... food is great there...

Southwood has Junior rates, so enquire about those. I know they had a day camp for kids, because I kept seeing them all together with one of the pro's week to week....

There were great suggestions from the other posters here... keep it fun for sure, absolute must...

Get your son a series of lessons with a patient, enthusiastic young pro... ask around...

Get your son the relatively cheap bio-feedback equipment to practice on his own ie. A Zepp, Android or Ipad, a tripod, and a golf glove to fit the 3D sensor onto...

https://www.amazon.com/Zepp-Golf-3D-Swing-Analyzer/dp/B01CL9802W

https://www.amazon.ca/Vstyle-Adjust...074S1PCMM&qid=1604350090&s=electronics&sr=1-1

For good measure get a Tour Striker ball... teaches how to stay connected...

https://www.amazon.ca/Tour-Striker-Smart-Ball/dp/B00II5RSR2/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1WSRM6K6KFQYI&dchild=1&keywords=tour+striker+smart+ball&qid=1604350176&sprefix=tour+str,aps,244&sr=8-1

Here is Justin Rose using the Tour Striker in his practice...

Dad can setup his own profile on the Zepp so you can both use it and the Tour Striker...

Oh... and pay the freight on some 9 hole rounds out at Blumberg next summer for your son and a friend to go alone... cheap and forgiving environment...

:popcorn:

excellent posts John. Lots to digest!!

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thank you for the Great feedback and advise boys. I realize that was a highly self indulgent set of posts so your patience is appreciated.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
So just for shits and giggles i entered Bel Acres Masters pool, first place is 4 free green fees and power carts . The pool is free to enter, here's my winning team, Rory Mcllroy , Tommy Fleetwood , Justin Rose, Jason Day and Jordan Spieth . :nod:

Reactions: ps241 and Eyeseeing

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
So just for shits and giggles i entered Bel Acres Masters pool, first place is 4 free green fees and power carts . The pool is free to enter, here's my winning team, Rory Mcllroy , Tommy Fleetwood , Justin Rose, Jason Day and Jordan Spieth . :nod:

Going to look into that.
Makes it even more interesting

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Going to look into that.
Makes it even more interesting
Totally, i'm a member at St.B so i don't really need the green fees but it does get you out playing somewhere else which is nice. But if i wasn't a member it's a pretty good prize, second place gets you 2 green fees with carts.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Had My 2nd lesson at Golftec tonight... then learned how to use the practice room/system and practice...

This really fired Me up this session...

Used Dustin Johnson as a model tonight for taking the club away and changing the the face angle so it stays in line with the ball...

Also extending... keeping the lead arm as straight as possible, thus shorting the back swing...

Also now shallowing the club more coming down...

bb0b2f107a3a66c257886143c90546e5.gif

Ball flight is now lower and pattern tighter down the center line...

Lots of work to do clearing the hips much more and hands ahead of ball at impact with a more passive release... to achieve consistent longer distance...

Pumped...

giphy.gif

P.S... that's Dustin Johnson hitting the ball in the first gif... not Me... if you were confused..

:laugh:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Had My 2nd lesson at Golftec tonight... then learned how to use the practice room/system and practice...

Used Dustin Johnson as a model tonight for taking the club away and changing the the face angle so it stays in line with the ball...

Also extending... keeping the lead arm as straight as possible, thus shorting the back swing...

Lots of work to do clearing the hips much more and hands ahead of ball at impact with a more passive release... to achieve consistent longer distance...

Pumped...

giphy.gif

P.S... that's Dustin Johnson hitting the ball in the first gif... not Me... if you were confused..

I have only had two lessons two practices and have made some drastic positive change.

How do I politely and positively say this. My legacy challenge coming out of the dark ages of my golf journey currently is active hands. My club head flight path is corrected now but my club face angle at contact is all over the place because of my previous bad habits. I can’t stop my hands from trying too hard to steer the ball.

It was funny because my coach was getting frustrated and I wasn’t and that is a huge reversal. I know I can train my hands to be more passive but it could take months.

I am pleased I corrected most of the big things right away. The rest will come.

Did you bring up DJ in the split screen for your practice session or was this in your coached session?

Last edited:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Pumped...

giphy.gif

Man it's amazing how Dustin's swing looks so much like mine.............

Reactions: John Agar and ps241

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I have only had two lessons two practices and have made some drastic positive change.

How do I politely and positively say this. My legacy challenge coming out of the dark ages of my golf journey currently is active hands. My club head flight path is corrected now but my club face angle at contact is all over the place because of my previous bad habits. I can’t stop my hands from trying too hard to steer the ball.

It was funny because my coach was getting frustrated and I wasn’t and that is a huge reversal. I know I can train my hands to be more passive but it could take months.

I am pleased I corrected most of the big things right away. The rest will come.

Did you bring up DJ in the split screen for your practice session or was this in your coached session?

In the coached... in order to show the good and take note of the changes needed...

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
In the coached... in order to show the good and take note of the changes needed...

I find the side by side incredibly valuable to display changes needed but more importantly to display the things I am doing right. It’s a pretty big confidence booster to see most of the fundamentals are in place with the lagging indicator being results so far.

It allows me to trust the process, trust my fundamentals, BE PATIENT, and not over correct.

Reactions: John Agar

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Nice. I just ordered a new (well, demo) Mavrik hybrid. Well above my skill level. Lol.
As of this past Friday i'm mortgage free, made bigger payments to pay it off sooner , the wife says i should look at buying myself new clubs. :eek: Ok , maybe i'll do that, if you say so . :laugh:

Reactions: Eyeseeing

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
As of this past Friday i'm mortgage free, made bigger payments to pay it off sooner , the wife says i should look at buying myself new clubs. :eek: Ok , maybe i'll do that, if you say so . :laugh:

I think a lifestyle dividend would be a nice way to celebrate your awesome achievement.

Is there a reason you want new clubs?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

Do it. Don't second guess, take full advantage of this opportunity. Are you thinking full new set, or just irons or woods?

Also, congrats on paying off the mortgage! That's an awesome accomplishment.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think a lifestyle dividend would be a nice way to celebrate your awesome achievement.

Is there a reason you want new clubs?
Well i have the Taylormade M1's so they are getting old and i'm playing over 100 games a year so they are getting a little beat up. We also have always gone on a winter trip and that's not happening this year again, we were going to Scotland at the beginning of last April :( , so i have to treat myself. :laugh: I've been eyeing the Taylormade M CGB's

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Do it. Don't second guess, take full advantage of this opportunity. Are you thinking full new set, or just irons or woods?

Also, congrats on paying off the mortgage! That's an awesome accomplishment.
Thanks, i would buy everything, go hard or go home :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad