OT: Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I wonder if Golf town has any of those nice golf swings in stock now, last time i was there they were all sold out. :laugh:

Reactions: ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Well i have the Taylormade M1's so they are getting old and i'm playing over 100 games a year so they are getting a little beat up. We also have always gone on a winter trip and that's not happening this year again, we were going to Scotland at the beginning of last April :( , so i have to treat myself. :laugh: I've been eyeing the Taylormade M CGB's

Seems like the perfect time for an upgrade.

Reactions: Jets 31

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I wonder if Golf town has any of those nice golf swings in stock now, last time i was there they were all sold out. :laugh:

I had to go to our Golf Galaxy like 5 times to hit in the simulator hoping I'd eventually hit at least one good shot with each of the irons/shafts I was trying :laugh:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Well i have the Taylormade M1's so they are getting old and i'm playing over 100 games a year so they are getting a little beat up. We also have always gone on a winter trip and that's not happening this year again, we were going to Scotland at the beginning of last April :( , so i have to treat myself. :laugh: I've been eyeing the Taylormade M CGB's
Don’t sleep on the Mizuno JX 919 CB’s. I bought the forged set but went with CB’s in the 4 and 5. What a great set of irons and I was a Taylormade guy before.
You’re getting fitted I trust?

What are you thinking for driver/woods? I went Sim after trying the Maverick, Speedzone and the G410. Just love the way the Sim sets up and how much easier it was to shape the ball. Fairway woods are great as well.

Getting new wedges as well?

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Don’t sleep on the Mizuno JX 919 CB’s. I bought the forged set but went with CB’s in the 4 and 5. What a great set of irons and I was a Taylormade guy before.
You’re getting fitted I trust?

What are you thinking for driver/woods? I went Sim after trying the Maverick, Speedzone and the G410. Just love the way the Sim sets up and how much easier it was to shape the ball. Fairway woods are great as well.

Getting new wedges as well?
The Sim driver by Taylormade is what i was looking at too , i'm a Taylormade guy but i'm not married to them. Those Mizuno irons are very nice too and will give those a try as well, what do you like better the forged or the cavity backs? I always had offset irons until the M1's because offset were supposedly easier to hit , i hit the M1's better than and offset irons i had before, go figure. :laugh: I actually have old wedges and would get new ones as well , i would lean towards Clevelands .

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I had to go to our Golf Galaxy like 5 times to hit in the simulator hoping I'd eventually hit at least one good shot with each of the irons/shafts I was trying :laugh:
At our golf course they had a draw for Tiger's exact set of Titleist irons and they got a 7 iron as a demo to hit. I've never seen irons so small, the face is barely bigger than the ball :laugh: so our pro says give it a try, i said forget it, no way i would come close to hitting the ball. But i said fine, give me the damn thing, first swing right down the middle 165 yards:laugh: never came close to hitting another one:laugh:. Apparently Tiger is pretty good. :laugh:

Reactions: TheUnseenHand

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
The Sim driver by Taylormade is what i was looking at too , i'm a Taylormade guy but i'm not married to them. Those Mizuno irons are very nice too and will give those a try as well, what do you like better the forged or the cavity backs? I always had offset irons until the M1's because offset were supposedly easier to hit , i hit the M1's better than and offset irons i had before, go figure. :laugh: I actually have old wedges and would get new ones as well , i would lean towards Clevelands .
I like both the CB’s and the forged but for different reasons. The reason I went with a mixed set is the distance and forgiveness is much more important in the 4 and 5, while workability and feel is more important in the 6 thru PW. Having said that, the 4 and 5 CB’s have a tremendous amount of feel and I’ve heard that is consistent throughout the set. On the flip side, the 919 forged are very forgiving for a forged iron. If you hit your irons a little further than average, I favour forged in your scoring clubs at the very least. Extra distance and forgiveness is always good once you get into the longer irons. Quite a few tour pros use similar mixed sets and there are quite a few that even use CB’s entirely.

How they set up is really key to me, the Mizuno’s have a great look over the ball, which my Taylormade’s also had. Probably a big reason I liked them.

Can’t go wrong with Cleveland wedges, I’ve had a number of them over the years, as well as Vokey’s. I favoured the Mizuno’s again this year though, they just have such a great feel......and no I do not work for Mizuno :laugh:.

Lots of great clubs out there though, golf technology has come such and incredibly long way. Fit is most important, then feel. Brand is completely secondary.
Enjoy shopping!

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I like both the CB’s and the forged but for different reasons. The reason I went with a mixed set is the distance and forgiveness is much more important in the 4 and 5, while workability and feel is more important in the 6 thru PW. Having said that, the 4 and 5 CB’s have a tremendous amount of feel and I’ve heard that is consistent throughout the set. On the flip side, the 919 forged are very forgiving for a forged iron. If you hit your irons a little further than average, I favour forged in your scoring clubs at the very least. Extra distance and forgiveness is always good once you get into the longer irons. Quite a few tour pros use similar mixed sets and there are quite a few that even use CB’s entirely.

How they set up is really key to me, the Mizuno’s have a great look over the ball, which my Taylormade’s also had. Probably a big reason I liked them.

Can’t go wrong with Cleveland wedges, I’ve had a number of them over the years, as well as Vokey’s. I favoured the Mizuno’s again this year though, they just have such a great feel......and no I do not work for Mizuno :laugh:.

Lots of great clubs out there though, golf technology has come such and incredibly long way. Fit is most important, then feel. Brand is completely secondary.
Enjoy shopping!
Good thing i have 5 months to figure it out. :laugh: On a side note holey hell it's nice out, we should be golfing. :( Could be worse though, we could be having a blizzard right now like those poor bastards from Saskatchewan. :laugh: Thanks for the info about your clubs by the way. :thumbu:

Reactions: Ducky10

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
Good thing i have 5 months to figure it out. :laugh: On a side note holey hell it's nice out, we should be golfing. :( Could be worse though, we could be having a blizzard right now like those poor bastards from Saskatchewan. :laugh: Thanks for the info about your clubs by the way. :thumbu:
Honest to god this past Tuesday could have been the nicest golf day of the year! 20 degrees and literally zero wind!

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I love my murdered out SM7's

123864493_10124059821132474_4850261140703043046_o.jpg

123623657_10124059825478764_17443704123336926_o.jpg

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
For anyone who has lost an iron or club from a set I found a company in Costa Mesa that specializes in hard to find older clubs.
My friend has a 2008 Cleveland Launcher Hibore set.
He lost his 8 iron in Palm Springs about 2 years ago.
He loves his clubs but was frustrated it was missing the 8
I lost my P from my 2008 Adam’s A3 OS set
So I found both at Ironfinder.com.
I figured I’d buy my buddy the 8 to complete his set for his 70th birthday which is November 11th.
So I ordered both but FedEx lost the shipment for 2 weeks.
I got a call Thursday and they found my shipment..
But my club fell out of the box “somewhere”
The good news is his made it , so I’m happy to give it to him as a special present.
504FB4FD-DA4A-42BC-8B27-4DC1E1928B8E.jpeg

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I love my murdered out SM7's

123864493_10124059821132474_4850261140703043046_o.jpg

123623657_10124059825478764_17443704123336926_o.jpg
Uh, murdered out? Have we reached that point? Glad to see your clubs are the correct hand though.

Nice Vokey's. I'm kind of a Titleist guy, at least for my wedges and irons. My wedges are old though so I keep thinking about getting new ones. And those are awfully pretty, I might look into those.

I got new irons in 2018. I was really humming and hawing about getting them at the time but decided to go for it so I have pretty new AP1s. The set came with a P and a W wedge (Wedge Wedge?) and I still have a pair of the old wedges. I don't have any issues with them so I just never got around to buying new ones.

For the woods I primarily hit Cobra and have for quite some time. But I never buy the newest so my driver was new to me in 2015 but it was a 2013 model. I've had a couple of Cobra 3 woods but haven't been satisfied with them, so at the end of season I went back to my Callaway X 3 wood and hit it brilliantly. Yeah, how sad is it that I'm hitting a 2006 club better than newer stuff? That's what precipitated me buying the new Mavrik hybrid because I wasn't liking my Cobra hybrid at all, and that was in its second iteration as well. Btw, I paid more for that hybrid than I've ever paid for a driver. Although since my standard birthday/Christmas gift is Golftown gift cards, it only cost me $29 on my credit card and I still have $250 worth of cards lying around. I'm thinking new driver at some point but not sure what it should be? I might wait another year and hope Callaway comes out with something new so the Mavrik drops substantially in price. I do still like my Cobra driver but like to be consistent in wood manufacture in the bag.

@Jets 31 congrats on the end of the mortgage anchor. Jeez, if my wife gave me the greenlight I'd be all in on new stuff.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Uh, murdered out? Have we reached that point? Glad to see your clubs are the correct hand though.

Nice Vokey's. I'm kind of a Titleist guy, at least for my wedges and irons. My wedges are old though so I keep thinking about getting new ones. And those are awfully pretty, I might look into those.

I got new irons in 2018. I was really humming and hawing about getting them at the time but decided to go for it so I have pretty new AP1s. The set came with a P and a W wedge (Wedge Wedge?) and I still have a pair of the old wedges. I don't have any issues with them so I just never got around to buying new ones.

For the woods I primarily hit Cobra and have for quite some time. But I never buy the newest so my driver was new to me in 2015 but it was a 2013 model. I've had a couple of Cobra 3 woods but haven't been satisfied with them, so at the end of season I went back to my Callaway X 3 wood and hit it brilliantly. Yeah, how sad is it that I'm hitting a 2006 club better than newer stuff? That's what precipitated me buying the new Mavrik hybrid because I wasn't liking my Cobra hybrid at all, and that was in its second iteration as well. Btw, I paid more for that hybrid than I've ever paid for a driver. Although since my standard birthday/Christmas gift is Golftown gift cards, it only cost me $29 on my credit card and I still have $250 worth of cards lying around. I'm thinking new driver at some point but not sure what it should be? I might wait another year and hope Callaway comes out with something new so the Mavrik drops substantially in price. I do still like my Cobra driver but like to be consistent in wood manufacture in the bag.

@Jets 31 congrats on the end of the mortgage anchor. Jeez, if my wife gave me the greenlight I'd be all in on new stuff.
Those black T200's and T100's irons are nice but they have to come down in price, 2100 bucks. :eek: Plus i wonder how long it would take to scratch them all up especially with my all over the golf course game. :laugh: The driver is 750 bucks. :eek:

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
One thing i did was regrip all my clubs with a midsize grip at the beginning of this past golf year. I really like that way better than the standard grip.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I suppose we have. The first time I ever heard the term "murdered out" was when a buddy of mine saw these wedges and said it was a sweet murdered out set. I had to look it up. Then I heard Peter Finch use it a few times I think during his build my bag series.

Reactions: Jets 31 and buggs

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
One thing i did was regrip all my clubs with a midsize grip at the beginning of this past golf year. I really like that way better than the standard grip.
I did that with my Taylormade’s a few years back. When I got fitted for my Mizuno’s this spring, the pro at my club said I should really be using standard grips. My draw came back.

What made you change? How is your ball flight?

One thing I did notice with the midsize was that I didn’t grip the club quite so tightly, which I’m still adjusting too with the standards.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I did that with my Taylormade’s a few years back. When I got fitted for my Mizuno’s this spring, the pro at my club said I should really be using standard grips. My draw came back.

What made you change? How is your ball flight?

One thing I did notice with the midsize was that I didn’t grip the club quite so tightly, which I’m still adjusting too with the standards.
That's exactly what happened to me, i grip the club too hard and i think it's definitely helped to not do it as much. I like the feel too but if my pro told me not to on a new set i wouldn't do it either. I hit it high and when i hit it right i have a little draw. I had the worst slice for a long time and i finally got rid of it, now my miss is a hook but i would rather have that then a slice any day. Those slices go absolutely nowhere and always hit trees and bounce farther in the bush. :laugh:

Reactions: Ducky10

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
When I got my new irons I just went with the standard grips. Had a hook a lot more frequently than I ever did with my old clubs. Got talking to a guy at golftown (I really should learn his name, he's super helpful and informative) and he asked about my grips. On my old irons I had pretty much the largest grips you can get (my hands are kinda big), standard sized on new. He said that's your likely answer. Got the clubs re-gripped and haven't hooked a ball since.

But...just to sow confusion... I got all my clubs re-done with the same grips. What didn't get done was the Cobra 3 wood I keep rambling on about and I hit so well late this year. Standard grips on that one. o_O

Reactions: Jets 31 and ps241

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
My advice for anyone buying new clubs:

Please, please dear God, go and try a whole bunch out. Don't buy what's on sale, don't buy what looks cool. Hit them first. A good set of irons that you like can last years. I've had my AP2's going on 10 years now and I have no intentions on replacing them. When I got my last driver I hit just about everything Golf Town had to offer; different shafts, different heads etc. Find what feels right, it's a long term investment if you buy the right thing.

So many of my friends I see buy clubs online without ever trying them and then a few weeks later they're trying to sell them lol.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Please, please dear God, go and try a whole bunch out. Don't buy what's on sale, don't buy what looks cool. Hit them first. A good set of irons that you like can last years. I've had my AP2's going on 10 years now and I have no intentions on replacing them. When I got my last driver I hit just about everything Golf Town had to offer; different shafts, different heads etc. Find what feels right, it's a long term investment if you buy the right thing.

So many of my friends I see buy clubs online without ever trying them and then a few weeks later they're trying to sell them lol.

Prior to buying irons in 2018 the last set I bought was in 1999 (out of the Asssiniboine GC). Pretty good run. My new set is probably as close as I can come to fit and feel with the old set (but about 10-15 yards longer per club). I expect them to last me until the stiff shafts are no longer suitable to my game, but hopefully that's not anytime soon.

I do have to confess though I'm THAT guy when it comes to woods it would seem. Or at least anything but driver, though I limit myself there by only buying older drivers. So I'm only foolish really with two clubs out of the bag. LOL. On the plus side I've gone back to the 3 wood I hit well, even though it's 14 years old. But I'm sure, absolutely sure the new (demo) hybrid I bought is the one. :laugh: The only consolation I can offer is that I'm too dang stubborn to turn around and sell the club if I don't like it.

Of note you can't hit anything at Golftown at the moment, hopefully that will change if we can get the Covid numbers back down (not holding my breath). I did go in last week looking to hit hybrids but no joy.

So I certainly support your suggestion wholeheartedly, other than the "don't buy what's on sale" aspect. This is Winnipeg, everything goes on sale. Between now and next season you'll encounter the demo event (on now), Black Friday, Christmas, Boxing Day and any early season events they have that I don't recall. Almost everything will be on sale at some point, unless you're playing top end, brand new gear. Of course that's Golftown. If you're supporting your own club proshop or Caddy Shed or someone else, so be it, they may not do the sale schtick and it's worth supporting your local supplier of choice. I'm too cheap and not a member anywhere so I can be classic Winnipeg.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014

And I’ll add, don’t do something because someone else does.....especially a tour pro!

Its funny, for all the gimmicky crap people buy and stupid training aids they buy, paying more attention and getting clubs properly fitted and matched to your swing will shave the most strokes off your game next to good lessons.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
When I got my new irons I just went with the standard grips. Had a hook a lot more frequently than I ever did with my old clubs. Got talking to a guy at golftown (I really should learn his name, he's super helpful and informative) and he asked about my grips. On my old irons I had pretty much the largest grips you can get (my hands are kinda big), standard sized on new. He said that's your likely answer. Got the clubs re-gripped and haven't hooked a ball since.

But...just to sow confusion... I got all my clubs re-done with the same grips. What didn't get done was the Cobra 3 wood I keep rambling on about and I hit so well late this year. Standard grips on that one. o_O
Grips are a big part of getting fitted and if you buy “off the rack” clubs, they will have standard grips. Grips aren’t rocket science, it’s really about hand size first and then how firm or soft it is. The standard grip on your Cobra 3w is funny, probably something to do with adjusting to the club.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
So I certainly support your suggestion wholeheartedly, other than the "don't buy what's on sale" aspect. This is Winnipeg, everything goes on sale. Between now and next season you'll encounter the demo event (on now), Black Friday, Christmas, Boxing Day and any early season events they have that I don't recall. Almost everything will be on sale at some point, unless you're playing top end, brand new gear. Of course that's Golftown. If you're supporting your own club proshop or Caddy Shed or someone else, so be it, they may not do the sale schtick and it's worth supporting your local supplier of choice. I'm too cheap and not a member anywhere so I can be classic Winnipeg.
That's fair. I more mean don't buy because it's on sale. If you find something you like, and you want to wait until it comes on sale, nothing wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->