OT: Golf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Watching the Masters after putting the clubs away will be so surreal. Nov 12. Cant wait!
So will there be another in April? I assume so but it will be odd to have the Masters Champion for 5 months :laugh:.

Although, I suppose it also gives someone the chance to win 2 Masters in 5 months.

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
I’m curious to see how different that course might play or even look in November. No azaleas, quite a bit colder, especially for the morning tee times. The course will likely play a bit longer I’m guessing, some longer irons into some of those greens will be more difficult. Guys who can hit the ball high will have quite an advantage, like DeChambeau.

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I’m curious to see how different that course might play or even look in November. No azaleas, quite a bit colder, especially for the morning tee times. The course will likely play a bit longer I’m guessing, some longer irons into some of those greens will be more difficult. Guys who can hit the ball high will have quite an advantage, like DeChambeau.
I got to go there once, it's really unbelievable how beautiful and hilly Agusta is in real life, TV just can't show you like actually being there. And the smell of the azaleas and pine trees is unbelievable, man would i ever like to play a round there.

Reactions: Ducky10

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
At Jets 31

Who was your sponsor to get on Augusta... ?

Enns Bro’s. ?

:popcorn:
No, 4 of us had been putting our names in for years on the hope of getting one of our names pulled for tickets to the practice rounds . One of our names got pulled for the Wednesday which was cool because we got to watch the par 3 contest as well. That par 3 9 hole is just as beautiful as the 18 and talk about hilly, wow . We stayed in a golf town called Santee and golfed for a week while we were there, great time.:nod:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
No, 4 of us had been putting our names in for years on the hope of getting one of our names pulled for tickets to the practice rounds . One of our names got pulled for the Wednesday which was cool because we got to watch the par 3 contest as well. That par 3 9 hole is just as beautiful as the 18 and talk about hilly, wow . We stayed in a golf town called Santee and golfed for a week while we were there, great time.:nod:
Thats not quite Lotto Max...

But for a golfer thats like winning a lottery to heaven on earth.

Wow !

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Thats not quite Lotto Max...

But for a golfer thats like winning a lottery to heaven on earth.

Wow !
That's how we felt, absolutely. Another thing we did was wear our golf shoes to help get grip when walking, that place is hilly. :eek: Also got to talk to Jim Nance, really nice guy.

Reactions: Ducky10

Ducky10

Nov 14, 2014
That's how we felt, absolutely. Another thing we did was wear our golf shoes to help get grip when walking, that place is hilly. :eek: Also got to talk to Jim Nance, really nice guy.
I’m not sure what I’ll do when Nance doesn’t do the Masters anymore, although I probably said the same thing when Summerall retired. I still miss Venturi though, he was the original pull no punches commentator.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
ps241 was contemplating retiring from golf but this thread and a “was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour” speech from @John Agar made me reconsider.

Since golf season has ended for most posters on the board And you guys might actually be starving enough for content I thought I would “attempt” to fill the void by sharing my golf journey past present and possibly .........future.

perhaps I can do a post a day to build the back story so I can get Some honest feedback on the plan I have designed and the journey that has begun for ps241 2.0 Spinal tap tour of redemption 2020-21

A simple “like” would indicate you have some interest in micromanaging....ah......check that......giving an opinion and feedback on my plan.

Warning even “one “ like will give me a license to torture you guys with TLDR unsavoury content so think twice before pressing the launch button.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
ps241 was contemplating retiring from golf but this thread and a “was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour” speech from @John Agar made me reconsider.

Since golf season has ended for most posters on the board And you guys might actually be starving enough for content I thought I would “attempt” to fill the void by sharing my golf journey past present and possibly .........future.

perhaps I can do a post a day to build the back story so I can get Some honest feedback on the plan I have designed and the journey that has begun for ps241 2.0 Spinal tap tour of redemption 2020-21

A simple “like” would indicate you have some interest in micromanaging....ah......check that......giving an opinion and feedback on my plan.

Warning even “one “ like will give me a license to torture you guys with TLDR unsavoury content so think twice before pressing the launch button.

I live for pushing buttons...

horshack-9-frames.gif

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Since i started this thread i guess i have to give you a like :laugh: seriously though i think it's great that you want to give golf another go. It can be alot of fun, sometimes. ;)

Reactions: Eyeseeing and ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ok here goes

My dad was a phys-ed teacher and a really good golfer so I grew up in that household. Dad was capable of winning the Saskatchewan teachers golf tournament and did this more than once while rarely picking up a club in July in August (since we went north to my grandpa's isolated fishing camp where there was no golf). Dad retired at 59 and continued golfing up to 200 rounds a year (Arizona and Saskatoon) and routinely shot below his age after his 80th birthday. Dad is 90 this January and happily hung them up when he was 87 when his back kind of limited him. He loved golf and it brought the best out of his terminally sunny disposition although he loved competition.

I began golf in Grade 9 at Holiday Park in Saskatoon with two equally tiny buddies and my history teacher (Fran) who was awesome and huge into the Women's movement in the 7o's but still golfed from the Lady's tees which she took massive heat on from her little golf buddies. We golfed most days after school and as I recall I enjoyed golf in this stage. Once I hit grade 11 I switched to Tennis and loved that sport and was all in on it until I was in my mid 20's.

I picked up golf again in my mid 20's but kind of only a few times a season.

As I entered my 30's I moved allot for work and began golfing a bit more. This consisted of booze fueled twilight rounds at Waskesui Golf course and I had a blast doing this. Once I moved to Alberta the company I joined had guys that were really interested in golf so I picked it up a bit and probably started golfing 6 to 8 times a season. My game was generally around 87 and I was usually a bit pissed off at myself. Think kind of a Sip like curmudgeon attitude but hopefully with his odd charm. I didn't enjoy it but once in a while with the right friends I really loved it. So it was a mixed bag. Looking back my club path was too steep but I had nice full shoulder turn and relaxed swing which buddies use to compliment (it looks like you barely swings at it but it goes far type compliment). I am a very streaky putter and it tends to be the strongest part of my game and when I am hot it allowed me to dip into the 70's.

Once I moved to Winnipeg in 1993 I probably golfed 4-6 times a year from my mid 30's to my late 40's. Often that was scramble style so that isn't good for habits. I was still capable and usually shot in the 70's once a season but probably hit 100 once a season too.

Things changed allot when I had a family later in life. I also bought a cottage property and fell in love with lake life. from 47 to 52 I probably took every second season off and maybe golfed 2 times a year on average.

I think this kind of brought an end to the phase where I was a really pissed off golfer. I didn't like who I was on the golf course and it didn't make sense since most people that knew me said you are a pretty fun guy in life but f*** you are an angry golfer. My expectations were hilariously out of whack with how much effort I was putting in. I hated this part about myself and and often contemplated "firing my golfing self" because of it. It wasn't take my football and go home diaper baby give up but more looking in the mirror and going "it doesn't appear you are enjoying golf".

I had a moment of clarity and did drastically improve my attitude and started just not giving a f***. I was proud of this accomplishment but I still didn't love the game. I had taken the occasional lesson over the years and enjoyed it but I don't think it really changed my swing.

Around this time I started getting invited on these pretty amazing golf trips from Molson Brewery. Although I was hit and miss with Golf these trips were best of times moments for me and I deeply valued them. It was the key account rep from Molson plus the president who both hosted (both amazing hilarious guys) and a bunch of people from my work community who are equally hilarious.

That brings an end to the back story part 1

I know this is probably mind numbing but I think its important for you guys to know my tortured past if you are going to advise in a more 360 degree holistic fashion. I promise if you hang in this is going to get interesting and I think there will be some good back and forth around my plan and any advice from you teachers pet, golf keener types on here :sarcasm:.

I think one more part of the back story is critical to allow you guys to fully be able to advise. The next part will bring you up to date and lay out the more current challenge and how I started to build my plan (that is in the infant stages). I think it will also address the "why" behind my puzzling decision to not throw in the towel on my lifetime tormentor.

TLDR part 1 is over.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Ok here goes

My dad was a phys-ed teacher and a really good golfer so I grew up in that household. Dad was capable of winning the Saskatchewan teachers golf tournament and did this more than once while rarely picking up a club in July in August (since we went north to my grandpa's isolated fishing camp where there was no golf). Dad retired at 59 and continued golfing up to 200 rounds a year (Arizona and Saskatoon) and routinely shot below his age after his 80th birthday. Dad is 90 this January and happily hung them up when he was 87 when his back kind of limited him. He loved golf and it brought the best out of his terminally sunny disposition although he loved competition.

I began golf in Grade 9 at Holiday Park in Saskatoon with two equally tiny buddies and my history teacher (Fran) who was awesome and huge into the Women's movement in the 7o's but still golfed from the Lady's tees which she took massive heat on from her little golf buddies. We golfed most days after school and as I recall I enjoyed golf in this stage. Once I hit grade 11 I switched to Tennis and loved that sport and was all in on it until I was in my mid 20's.

I picked up golf again in my mid 20's but kind of only a few times a season.

As I entered my 30's I moved allot for work and began golfing a bit more. This consisted of booze fueled twilight rounds at Waskesui Golf course and I had a blast doing this. Once I moved to Alberta the company I joined had guys that were really interested in golf so I picked it up a bit and probably started golfing 6 to 8 times a season. My game was generally around 87 and I was usually a bit pissed off at myself. Think kind of a Sip like curmudgeon attitude but hopefully with his odd charm. I didn't enjoy it but once in a while with the right friends I really loved it. So it was a mixed bag. Looking back my club path was too steep but I had nice full shoulder turn and relaxed swing which buddies use to compliment (it looks like you barely swings at it but it goes far type compliment). I am a very streaky putter and it tends to be the strongest part of my game and when I am hot it allowed me to dip into the 70's.

Once I moved to Winnipeg in 1993 I probably golfed 4-6 times a year from my mid 30's to my late 40's. Often that was scramble style so that isn't good for habits. I was still capable and usually shot in the 70's once a season but probably hit 100 once a season too.

Things changed allot when I had a family later in life. I also bought a cottage property and fell in love with lake life. from 47 to 52 I probably took every second season off and maybe golfed 2 times a year on average.

I think this kind of brought an end to the phase where I was a really pissed off golfer. I didn't like who I was on the golf course and it didn't make sense since most people that knew me said you are a pretty fun guy in life but f*** you are an angry golfer. My expectations were hilariously out of whack with how much effort I was putting in. I hated this part about myself and and often contemplated "firing my golfing self" because of it. It wasn't take my football and go home diaper baby give up but more looking in the mirror and going "it doesn't appear you are enjoying golf".

I had a moment of clarity and did drastically improve my attitude and started just not giving a f***. I was proud of this accomplishment but I still didn't love the game. I had taken the occasional lesson over the years and enjoyed it but I don't think it really changed my swing.

Around this time I started getting invited on these pretty amazing golf trips from Molson Brewery. Although I was hit and miss with Golf these trips were best of times moments for me and I deeply valued them. It was the key account rep from Molson plus the president who both hosted (both amazing hilarious guys) and a bunch of people from my work community who are equally hilarious.

That brings an end to the back story part 1

I know this is probably mind numbing but I think its important for you guys to know my tortured past if you are going to advise in a more 360 degree holistic fashion. I promise if you hang in this is going to get interesting and I think there will be some good back and forth around my plan and any advice from you teachers pet, golf keener types on here :sarcasm:.

I think one more part of the back story is critical to allow you guys to fully be able to advise. The next part will bring you up to date and lay out the more current challenge and how I started to build my plan (that is in the infant stages). I think it will also address the "why" behind my puzzling decision to not throw in the towel on my lifetime tormentor.

TLDR part 1 is over.
Good background, i used to get pretty mad playing sometimes and still do once in a while but not for long. Before becoming a member there was a group of us , 20 guys, and we would play every Saturday. We called it the tour because we went all around this province, Morden, Carman , Winkler, Neepawa, Lee river, just all over. They were long drives and we only played once a week so getting pissed off and not talking to anyone would be really dumb so i used that to help me to just go out and have fun. We had 1 guy in that group of 20 that got pissed off all the time and wouldn't even say good shot to the other guys in his group and would literally walk 100 yards ahead of you and go to his ball , not caring about anyone else. It got to the point where no one wanted to be in his group, i told myself then and there don't ever be like that because no one enjoys playing with someone like that. Now i laugh at my bad shots almost as much as i laugh at other guys bad shots. :laugh:

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ok last part of the backstory:

This spans over the last 10 years since I have had kids.

Over the past decade We have been going on these great European trips with Molson every 2 years or so for 7-10 days and about 5 rounds.

The first trip 10 years ago we tired to walk on at the Old course but it didn’t happen. We did however sit and have a drink at the 17th hole and I was blown away. As I watched Foursome after Foursome go by all playing well I decided then and there I needed to golf this course but I needed to show up ready and respect her.

I headed back to Canada and needed a plan for going back ready on the next trip. That following summer I joined Niakwa and worked with Wade and he refined my swing. I took A lesson every week and augmented that with at least 3 range sessions a week for the summer. I also played about 6 times. I was happy with the results and felt good heading back to Scotland in September. I had a good round at Kingsbarn on that trip and was ready for the big day at the Old Course.

My goal was to play Boogie golf but more importantly to enjoy the moment. The first 7 holes I was on pace with both aspects of my plan and then I eagled hole number 8. What made this event better was we all had caddies so there were 8 of us with lots of clapping and cheering. After that I got Really hot and played about 1 under the rest of the way and ended up with a 78. I was thrilled and ended up emailing Wade the next day to thank him for the help and share the moment. I was low man in the 3 foursome’s and it was the most memorable round in my life.

instead of building on that the next season I only golfed a few Times and my game was just ok. The next year as we headed back to Scotland I still kind of mailed it in and didn’t take advantage of my membership. I think I golfed 4 rounds total in 3 years and decided to not join again. After that I only golfed on the trip and Understandably my game faded.

Over the last 6 years my game has gone in the tank and I can’t break 100. I usually lose at least 10 balls a round too. I can’t hit the fairway.

That brought me to this last season where I followed this thread and was thinking of just putting an end to it.

end of Part 2

Enough of the boring back story next thread is where I talk about my decision to try again and what I am currently doing. We will be entering the crowd participation part of my presentation.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Ok last part of the backstory:

This spans over the last 10 years since I have had kids.

Over the past decade We have been going on these great European trips with Molson every 2 years or so for 7-10 days and about 5 rounds.

The first trip 10 years ago we tired to walk on at the Old course but it didn’t happen. We did however sit and have a drink at the 17th hole and I was blown away. As I watched Foursome after Foursome go by all playing well I decided then and there I needed to golf this course but I needed to show up ready and respect her.

I headed back to Canada and needed a plan for going back ready on the next trip. That following summer I joined Niakwa and worked with Wade and he refined my swing. I took A lesson every week and augmented that with at least 3 range sessions a week for the summer. I also played about 6 times. I was happy with the results and felt good heading back to Scotland in September. I had a good round at Kingsbarn on that trip and was ready for the big day at the Old Course.

My goal was to play Boogie golf but more importantly to enjoy the moment. The first 7 holes I was on pace with both aspects of my plan and then I eagled hole number 8. What made this event better was we all had caddies so there were 8 of us with lots of clapping and cheering. After that I got Really hot and played about 1 under the rest of the way and ended up with a 78. I was thrilled and ended up emailing Wade the next day to thank him for the help and share the moment. I was low man in the 3 foursome’s and it was the most memorable round in my life.

instead of building on that the next season I only golfed a few Times and my game was just ok. The next year as we headed back to Scotland I still kind of mailed it in and didn’t take advantage of my membership. I think I golfed 4 rounds total in 3 years and decided to not join again. After that I only golfed on the trip and Understandably my game faded.

Over the last 6 years my game has gone in the tank and I can’t break 100. I usually lose at least 10 balls a round too. I can’t hit the fairway.

That brought me to this last season where I followed this thread and was thinking of just putting an end to it.

end of Part 2

Enough of the boring back story next thread is where I talk about my decision to try again and what I am currently doing. We will be entering the crowd participation part of my presentation.
You obviously didn't watch our group at the Old Course with me hitting the Hotel on 18 off the tee and have it come all the way back to the fairway to help me par 18 and shoot 88 . :laugh: I was super happy about a 88 , if i shot 78 i would have quit golf and been very satisfied. :laugh:

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ok present day.

Last year we were committed as a big group to go to Portugal and Ireland as our euro tour. I decided I should probably not show up cold. I took my son to Long aNd McQade and in the same parking lot was golftec. I was curious so I dropped in to see what they were all about. I chatted with Mike and he said he could help with my problem. This was early March and I booked a swing analysis but then Covid hit and they were shut down.

We subsequently had to cancel our trip so I was off the hook with having to golf again so I decided to take the year off.

fast forward to my having some fun on a post complaining about the 4 or 5 holes I had to golf and contemplating retirement and @John Agar wrote a nice post talking about his Comeback and the message was not lost on me. He also was chatting about iPad and bio feedback that caught my attention.

last piece is I was chatting with a buddy in Calgary about business and he mentioned he was out golfing Banff with his golf coach. I said golf coach? He went on to walk me though his expieocne with Golftec and I decided then and there that the golf gods were trying hard to send me a sign. He couldn’t say enough positive things about what it had done for his game.

I got off the call and immediately rebooked with Mike for a swing analysis.

I went in about 3 weeks ago and I was blown away by the session. The technology is great! First off I was shocked at what I saw with my current swing especially when being shown side by side with a pro?? What had happened over the last 6 years.....seriously WTF? I have gotten older and I am way less flexible true.....but I had literally no turn anymore in my swing and my flight path was too steep and I was all arms and hands. No wonder I couldn’t hit fairway??

Given the recommendation and endorsement from my buddy and what I experienced I was sold and signed up for a package that will take me through the winter and we’ll into the golf season.

After two sessions I now have kind of reset the swing Wade taught me and Mike assures me we are starting from a really good spot. The side by sides display a vastly improved swing. As soon as I started turning my lead shoulder again it caused my club path to reestablish and things started feeling better. My hands are way to active still so I have to unlearn that but I have all winter.

I am just going to move to the advice part next post to break these up.

Last edited:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Ok the reason I am doing this is I really want to golf with my 12 year old son as he grows. The timing is great and I want to start doing father son rounds. I want to golf good enough to enjoy the day. I don’t need to crush the score card but I want to re-establish a cleaner game that lets me enjoy the day.

So:

Golftec is this the right path?

how should I use the tool and what has your experience been (right now I am doing 1 lesson 1 practice session per week.

How do I interstate that with real golf when the season starts?

Next season I want to get access to a quality range Without dropping $3000 on a membership I don’t use? Any advice?

My son would like to try golf. I want to start him with lessons or a camp that is fun. Any ideas.

Other general advice and micro management is welcome.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Ok the reason I am doing this is I really want to golf with my 12 year old son as he grows. The timing is great and I want to start doing father son rounds. I want to golf good enough to enjoy the day. I don’t need to crush the score card but I want to re-establish a cleaner game that lets me enjoy the day.

So:

Golftec is this the right path?

how should I use the tool and what has your experience been (right now I am doing 1 lesson 1 practice session per week.

How do I interstate that with real golf when the season starts?

Next season I want to get access to a quality range Without dropping $3000 on a membership I don’t use? Any advice?

My son would like to try golf. I want to start him with lessons or a camp that is fun. Any ideas.

Other general advice and micro management is welcome.
I've heard good things about Golftec but never used it (I am too poor lol), honestly for your goal it will probably do the job. I'll always say, the most important thing to get better at golf is to practice. You saw it earlier in your life how much it helped and how quickly you can lose it. You seem like you have natural skill, so a few lessons and lots of practice and you'll be fine. If you only golf a few times a year and don't practice, forget about playing well and just try to enjoy the experience with friends.

For your son, I would say take him to the range and just try to make it fun. Try to make little games of it, encourage him when he does well. Take him for dinner after to make sure even if the golf isn't great he's having a good experience. Lessons are good, but before them I would let him just naturally swing at least a few times. See where he's at, sometimes kids (me) don't like the pressure of playing in a camp where the skill-level can vary so much, especially as a new golfer.

As for a quality range without a membership, that's tough. I don't have any great advice there as I have gone the membership route for most of my life. Buckets of balls are so annoyingly expensive.

I enjoy your golf stories and hope you and your son find the love of the game. I've been golfing with my dad and my grandpa since I was 4. I'm 27 now, my dads almost 65 and my grandpa is nearing 90 and still playing! It's a beautiful way to spend time with the people you love. I hope my children will love the game the way I do when I have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad