Gold Cup 2019:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Bermuda should have scored at least two already :eek: These guys are mostly playing in the lower levels of English footbal/low level Euro league but they have some pace to them. Nakhi Wells is the only player I heard of before

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Having watched some of both, I'd say the Euro U21 is a higher level than the Gold Cup all in all just because beyond the top team(s) in CONCACAF the drop-off is so extreme.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Has he lost any games he was expected to win or even draw?

Give the guy some time. If nothing else, he can’t possibly be worse than Floro.

He's beaten who he's supposed to beat (everyone except Mexico) and he's lost to everyone he's supposed to lose to (Mexico)

They should easily beat Cuba Sunday to move on in 2nd place in the group and play Costa Rica or Haiti (likely Costa Rica). If it's Costa Rica they "should" lose that game, but they've got an outside shot. If it's Haiti they should win, but it's not a gimme. Either way, how they look in that game is likely the first big indication.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
He's beaten who he's supposed to beat (everyone except Mexico) and he's lost to everyone he's supposed to lose to (Mexico)

They should easily beat Cuba Sunday to move on in 2nd place in the group and play Costa Rica or Haiti (likely Costa Rica). If it's Costa Rica they "should" lose that game, but they've got an outside shot. If it's Haiti they should win, but it's not a gimme. Either way, how they look in that game is likely the first big indication.

Yeah, I'd be very surprised if they lost to Cuba on Sunday. Nothing is a gimmie, but 2nd place should be assured.

Like you said, it will likely be Costa Rica, and Canada would be a slight underdog in that matchup I think. It would easily be Herdman's biggest win thus far.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
We get it, you don't like the tournament... Starting to sound like a broken record.
Is there one top team at the moment in the tournament?

Mexico have their B- team.
USA have been horrible for 2 years and apart from Pulisic there's nothing there.
Costa Rica have a decent team but were much better 5-6 years ago.

So this year the reality is it's a weak field.

I would love to see CostaRica-Canada QF. With a good starting XI I would bet on Canada.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Is there one top team at the moment in the tournament?

No there is not a top tier team in CONCACAF in general imo. If you are looking for that watch a different tournament.

This year the field is very open which I find entertaining. I enjoy watching Canada have a chance and I also enjoy seeing smaller Island nations represent their teams in what is likely the pinnacle for their international careers.

If you are watching the Gold Cup for world beaters you have come to the wrong place, stop being so naive.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Mexico when having their best team is a top team, not in World Cup winner material but a team that can regularly get out of the group stage is a solid team.

This year they don't have their top players.

Costa Rica had an excellent team 5-6 years ago.

USA had better teams before.

So I stand by my comment, this year tournament has a weak field and an upset is possible.

I watch some games, if they are interesting I watch if not I do other things. So far I have watched more Gold Cup than Copa America this year.

After having watched, played and refereed so many games I have a good capacity to rapidly sense if a game will be fun to watch or not. I skipped World Cup games last summer also when they were dull. Euro 2016 had a ton of awful games. Many games were boring in the Women World Cup this year so far although I tried to watch most of them. Let's hope better games in the knockout stages.

One thing I prefer in the Gold Cup this year is no VAR.

I'm not partial to any competition.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

This is probably the best chance we've had to knock off Costa Rica in quite some time. Most of their top players are way past prime. No Keylor Navas. Barely squeaked past Bermuda in their last match. I would be pretty disappointed if we didn't at least take them to extra time.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Re: the quality of tournament yes there's still a massive disparity, but at least it now feels like a legitimate continental tournament. Not the half-assed Gold Cup of years back where Mexico would send their B team and you'd have CONMEBOL and AFC teams filling out the rest of the field.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Re: the quality of tournament yes there's still a massive disparity, but at least it now feels like a legitimate continental tournament. Not the half-assed Gold Cup of years back where Mexico would send their B team and you'd have CONMEBOL and AFC teams filling out the rest of the field.
Next step will be every 4 years with different host country-countries. Everyone would have their A team in this scenario.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.

Actually, Canada has a pretty good record against Costa Rica. Honduras, on the other hand...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad