Gold Cup 2019:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The Cavallini thing might be a bit of a stretch, but Arfield definitely can play in the PL and not look terrible.
I didn't say he'd be good in every league. ;)

Scoring 24 goals in 58 games in Mexico is pretty good.

Look at Raul Jimenez. Scored 8 goals in 43 games in his last season in Mexico. Goes to Wolves and puts in 17 goals in 44 games this year. Similar ages too.

Arfield was in the PL the year before last and looked good, IMO. He leaves and Burnley barely avoids relegation. Ps. I know he wasn't a regular lol

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Predictably easy match last night.

Haiti/Costa Rica play tonight, so we'll know our knockout opponent soon enough.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Christine picked Beckie to take it. No complaints. She's the captain.

Beckie looks devastated. :(

EDIT: Wrong thread lol

Last edited:

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
Predictably easy match last night.

Haiti/Costa Rica play tonight, so we'll know our knockout opponent soon enough.

Haiti goes up 2-1 in the 81st. Wasn’t expecting this.

A bit torn now. Canada should be strongly favoured against Haiti and they’d be our preferred opponents, but man does Costa Rica look vulnerable. Either way I like our chances.

Reactions: Tuggy and Pouchkine

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Haiti goes up 2-1 in the 81st. Wasn’t expecting this.

A bit torn now. Canada should be strongly favoured against Haiti and they’d be our preferred opponents, but man does Costa Rica look vulnerable. Either way I like our chances.

strongly? Not at all. slightly? Maybe.

This Haiti side is better than Jamaican side we lost 2 years ago. They just beat Costa Rica and finished 1st in a convincing victory. We are not on Costa Ricas level yet.

What im worried is Herdman underestimating them or overcoaching trying to play some mindgames. One mistake and its in the back of the net watch out for Nazon, Etienne Jr and Pierrot who was on the bench today. Commentator said their LB was suspended.

Either way it should be entertaining as hell.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
strongly? Not at all. slightly? Maybe.

This Haiti side is better than Jamaican side we lost 2 years ago. They just beat Costa Rica and finished 1st in a convincing victory. We are not on Costa Ricas level yet.

What im worried is Herdman underestimating them or overcoaching trying to play some mindgames. One mistake and its in the back of the net watch out for Nazon, Etienne Jr and Pierrot who was on the bench today. Commentator said their LB was suspended.

Either way it should be entertaining as hell.
Doesn't Haiti have a few players we basically rejected?

Costa Rica, IMO, still dominated the game. They just pulled a Canadian Women's Team game and didn't shoot the damn ball, where-as every time Haiti got close they fired it at net.

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Our Women team are terrible and lack talent and basic skills, technical and tactical. We lost to a very average Sweden team that should easily be beaten by Germany.

Haïti-Canada I'm looking forward to this match a lot, I can see a superb game finishing 3-2 for Canada maybe in OT.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
It has been interesting watching the smaller teams play who I never get to watch. It’s not the best football in the world but I believe it’s the right thing (I think) more experience in continental competition hopefully will increase opportunities for these nations and players (sponsorships, transfer offers, more money to put into grass roots, ect)

All sounds nice but then I think hell San Marino has been playing Germany, England, Spain and Italy every cycle and I haven’t seen any improvement with them. Who knows.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I just want to see more positive play from Canada. Win or lose they should be playing their best players and setting up in a positive way. Davies and David should both be starting and Davies should not be playing fullback.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Doesn't Haiti have a few players we basically rejected?

Costa Rica, IMO, still dominated the game. They just pulled a Canadian Women's Team game and didn't shoot the damn ball, where-as every time Haiti got close they fired it at net.

There is no point in dominating if you can't finish it. They were fast and technical. Think of Italy in the 80s-90s-2000s.

The 1st half was ALL Costa Rica, the 2nd one not so much. You just knew they were gonna lose. Then coach brought Campbell out for a defender and you knew they were going for the tie. 2 shots on target against 6....

I just checked and they have 2 Canadian players who dont seem to be starters neither. Their starting CF and LB were suspended/resting.

All I'm saying is a team who can beat Costa Rica and go 3-0 can beat anyone and I don't like our chances...

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I just want to see more positive play from Canada. Win or lose they should be playing their best players and setting up in a positive way. Davies and David should both be starting and Davies should not be playing fullback.
Davies is a very good full back. And we lose so much if we don't put him there. Not having being able to play Hoilett is bad for us.

I guess you could throw Hoilett on outside mid if you want

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
There is no point in dominating if you can't finish it. They were fast and technical. Think of Italy in the 80s-90s-2000s.

The 1st half was ALL Costa Rica, the 2nd one not so much. You just knew they were gonna lose. Then coach brought Campbell out for a defender and you knew they were going for the tie. 2 shots on target against 6....

I just checked and they have 2 Canadian players who dont seem to be starters neither. Their starting CF and LB were suspended/resting.

All I'm saying is a team who can beat Costa Rica and go 3-0 can beat anyone and I don't like our chances...
I did fall asleep in the last 25 mintues or so, so I do concede that maybe they cashed and burned.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I'm really looking forward to Saturday, huge opportunity for Canada and then Costa v Mexico should be a good one.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017

The first part makes sense the second part I don't understand at all.

Yes Haiti could certainly win but there is zero reason to think that they are likely to win. They are clearly the 2nd best team in the game, not by a lot but they have done nothing to show that they are better than Canada.

I think it should be a good competitive game but don't understand why you would not like Canada's chances outside of you putting way too much importance to the Costa Rica game that Haiti played.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
The first part makes sense the second part I don't understand at all.

Yes Haiti could certainly win but there is zero reason to think that they are likely to win. They are clearly the 2nd best team in the game, not by a lot but they have done nothing to show that they are better than Canada.

I think it should be a good competitive game but don't understand why you would not like Canada's chances outside of you putting way too much importance to the Costa Rica game that Haiti played.

Yes maybe it's exactly that. Putting too much importance into last night's game. I'm just thinking we've got a pretty damn shaky backline and if you look at their goals/chances it came from counter attacks. Think of Jamaica 2 years ago.. possession is overrated in futbol. As for going 3-0 it's a mental boost.

Maybe I'm over thinking or wrong intuition

Concacaf is tricky you underestimate and you lose just trying to be careful.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Jamaica finally score after missing at least 3 sitters in the opening 10 minutes. I don’t think Curacao have gotten out of their half

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Curacao get a last minute goal after a fantastic long range strike. Jamaica only have themselves to blame

Jamaica are through regardless but now can finish 2nd if El Salvador win later tonight. Curacao is hoping for a Honduras win who are already eliminated

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad