Gold Cup 2019:

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
dgbwxx7d6gfhwskmstv5.jpg

Just a couple weeks away! Hoping for big things from Canada!

Reactions: Tuggy

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Chucky is hurt and I think Vela turned down the call up
Interesting, why did he turn it down? He quit the team for good or another reason? I think there's a break of at least 2 weeks in MLS play this year.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Tournament is largely meaningless without a Confed Cup spot on the line, there is some pressure I guess for the US to perform under the new manager and first real test of games post WC failure. Listening to the El Tri podcast on ESPNFC this isn’t being taken too seriously by Mexico. Also teams like Costa Rica still relying on the bulk of their 2014 squad, they must be one of the oldest squads in the world

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Interesting, why did he turn it down? He quit the team for good or another reason? I think there's a break of at least 2 weeks in MLS play this year.

He said he wanted to focus on his family and his club team which I'm not buying. I think he's always he had issues with the Mexican federation.

Reactions: Pouchkine

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Tournament is largely meaningless without a Confed Cup spot on the line, there is some pressure I guess for the US to perform under the new manager and first real test of games post WC failure. Listening to the El Tri podcast on ESPNFC this isn’t being taken too seriously by Mexico. Also teams like Costa Rica still relying on the bulk of their 2014 squad, they must be one of the oldest squads in the world
This crap tournament would be taken more seriously if it was every 4 years like every real Continental Competition.

Just a big cash grab for the corrupt Concacaf people.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
This crap tournament would be taken more seriously if it was every 4 years like every real Continental Competition.

Just a big cash grab for the corrupt Concacaf people.
The Copa America is going through a period from 2015 to 2020 which will have 4 tournaments in that timeframe.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
He said he wanted to focus on his family and his club team which I'm not buying. I think he's always he had issues with the Mexican federation.
Exactly he looks like a primadonna.

The MLS is having a 2 weeks+ break and the regular season don't matter much.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The Copa America is going through a period from 2015 to 2020 which will have 4 tournaments in that timeframe.
You should not count the joke Centenary one though. That was another Concacaf Corruption cash grab.

I think now it will be every 4 years?

2020-2024 so starting next year they will do the right thing with the Copa America.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
You should not count the joke Centenary one though. That was another Concacaf Corruption cash grab.

Copa America schedule from 2015-

Only one of those was the hundredth anniversary tournament.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

2020-2024 so starting next year they will do the right thing with the Copa America.
What was the excuse for doing back to back in 2019 and 2020, and should we consider it a joke until they do get back on a 4 year rotation, for however long it lasts this time?

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
What was the excuse for doing back to back in 2019 and 2020, and should we consider it a joke until they do get back on a 4 year rotation, for however long it lasts this time?
It's somewhat of a joke yes for sure. Not as bad as the Gold Cup but it's sure ain't the Euro.

In 2001-2004 they started doing it every 3 years which was better than every 2 years.

Now starting next year every 4 years. It's clear they want to give Messi every chance to win something before he retires and make as much money as possible at the same time.

At least the Copa is not always in Brazil...

Last edited:

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Doing away with Confed Cup definitely lowers the stakes a bit. Couple that with top guys out for Mexico as well as Brooks and Yedlin for the USMNT - you get a little shine off this tournament. Regardless, these games do have meaning for FIFA rankings which is important for seeding come World Cup time. That factor, new blood for the USMNT and a nice bet on them at +140 to win the thing will give me enough of a rooting interest :)

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Davies and David looked good for Canada earlier today.

Mexico scores vs Cuba in under 2 minutes here.

Rose Bowl the venue and maybe 5-6K attended the earlier while the stadium looks pretty close to the 60K capacity now for the Mexico game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->