Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
41025p9iata11.gif

Underrated movie imo...the Beatles scene is hilarious

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
LeBrun: Q&A with Flyers GM Chuck Fletcher on advice from his...

How would you characterize the way your team looks these days?

Yeah, it’s been a significant change from last year. This year, we have dominated puck possession, we have the puck a lot, that’s the way AV likes to play. We’re playing with more pace, we have better puck support, we have a better structure in the neutral zone so we’re able to turn pucks over and counter quickly. We still have a long way to go but so far, I think we’re a team that is usually dictating the pace of play and getting our share of chances. As our young players continue to mature and everybody continues to recognize what the coaches are asking of them, I think we should only get better.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fletcher has done what was asked of him, build a competitive team for his new coach.
Kept Scott happy without mortgaging the future.

Only bad deal was Braun for 2nd and 3rd, but that was an insurance policy, Myers was an unknown, as we've seen, even talented prospects can struggle, and injuries happen. The #41 hurt, but Fletcher redeemed himself on draft day (nailing York and Brink).

Niskanen, great move. Still a first pair D-man, great stabilizing influence, at the cost of a 3rd pair D-man and some money.

Hayes, paid market price (including the NMC, every top FA got one), he's exactly as advertised, not an offensive force, but a solid all around 2C who plays defense, a top PK guy, can play on the PP. He fits what AV wants (and AV lobbied for him).
ES TOI: Hayes 15:07, Giroux 15:05, Couts 14:42. 3 minutes a night on STs, Giroux and Couts 4 minutes. Has taken a big load off Couts.

Pitlick looked like a "fail," but the past few games is resembling the guy who was a solid 4RW the last two years. Since the cost was Simmonds/Hartman, who are both overpaid with their new teams after hitting FA, no problems here. Low cost depth.

Andreoff, Werenski are good NHL depth that can be stashed in LHV as needed, Bigras, Prosser, Wotherspoon are LHV depth but not much else.
None cost more than Scott's money.

The most impressive thing about Fletcher is his willingness to promote prospects, and demote them (how much is Fletcher, how much is AV despite his reputation for burying young players). The LHV shuffle has given a lot of prospects a taste of the NHL, and provides motivation, everyone there knows that if you work hard and produce you have a chance to be promoted.

Sometimes it's better to be competent than brilliant.

A couple years ago, when Jersey sneaked into the playoffs after Shero traded a bunch of 2nd and 3rd rd picks, I had to listen to people here tell me he was smarter than Hextall. That didn't last long.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
The neutral zone defense has been my favorite thing to watch this season. Each of the games they've gotten legitimately beat in they played poor NZ defense. Ghost and Myers especially are so aggressive and enjoyable to watch in the NZ. Anyone catch Myers at the faceoff dots with 40 seconds left in the offensive zone. Hakstol might've lashed himself 12 times last night thinking about it. I loved it

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The only move you can legit hate over the past year is not drafting Cole Caufield. Hayes is overpay but last 2 weeks he is scoring and he has helped PK. Say B- move over 7 years but B for this year especially with Patrick unavailable. Niskonen for Gudas A+. Pitlick for Hartman A+. Braun for 2,3 is slight overpay (thinking only 2) but you have to say PK is way betterB or B-. Elliott resign A. Love resigning Provy and TK long term A+.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thinking we needed to add a RD = bad
Braun trade = bad
Hayes contract = bad
Hartman for Simmonds = bad
Signing Stewart = bad
Keeping Hagg = bad
Keeping Twarynski and Bunnaman out of camp = bad
Playing musical chairs with the roster spots and delaying the inevitable correct decisions = bad

And it hasn't even been a full year. Let’s not pretend he hasn’t made mistakes.

Also, imagine thinking the team being high in the standings means the coach isn't dumb. :laugh:

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Thinking we needed to add a RD - new HC wanted balanced pairs.
Braun trade = overpayment but worked, Braun is our best defensive defenseman
Hayes contract = market rate (including NMC), knowing Patrick was out, absolutely necessary or write off the season
Hartman for Simmonds = meh, Simmonds is having a little bounce back so far, but 23 ES/11 PP pace isn't worth $5M.
Signing Stewart = irrelevant, only played b/c LHV players went belly up and Pitlick had a slow start after his wrist injury
Keeping Hagg = good, with Morin down, no depth, playing better under Yeo.
Keeping Twarynski and Bunnaman out of camp = good, giving kids a shot at the roster after a good TC helps motivate prospects at LHV
Playing musical chairs with the roster spots and delaying the inevitable correct decisions = good, Farabee was brought up right after the road trip from Hell, Frost needed the AHL time and hasn't exactly tore up the NHL since he was promoted. Neither player was rushed.

Niskanen for Gudas and $1M = great move, traded a 3rd pair D-man with 1 year left for a 1st pair D-man with 2 years left
Hartman for Pitlick = draw, Hartman is a decent 3RW in Minnesota for 2yr/$3.8M - Pitlick cheaper and better fit at 4RW
Resigning Raffl, Laughton - key moves to solidify the bottom six
Extending Provorov and TK - franchise changing moves

Also, imagine thinking the team being high in the standings means the coach isn't dumb.

Right, because the GM screwed up trying to improve an 86 point team, and the HC only has them on a 106 point pace.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Thinking we needed to add a RD = bad
Braun trade = bad
Hayes contract = bad
Hartman for Simmonds = bad
Signing Stewart = bad
Keeping Hagg = bad
Keeping Twarynski and Bunnaman out of camp = bad
Playing musical chairs with the roster spots and delaying the inevitable correct decisions = bad

And it hasn't even been a full year. Let’s not pretend he hasn’t made mistakes.

Also, imagine thinking the team being high in the standings means the coach isn't dumb. :laugh:

Braun trade isn't bad we agree to disgaree.
Hayes contract yeah I wasn't in favor of it but minus Hayes we are really weak at c.
Simmons trade on Hextall for not trading earlier. Not Fletch. net Pitlick and 4 for wayne is best you can get. If you think you have gotten a top 40 pick for Wayne that was wishful thinking.
Hagg legit 6th cheap d-man but we will permanently agree to disagree on that one.
Twar/Bunny necessary evil for giving Frost/Farabee time in minors. Plan the whole time sure seems to play in minors first after coming from ohl. Twar I am comfortable on 4th line in future. Bunny had a good camp but lousy real games. It happens.
Stewart signing ok that is fugly.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If Braun is re-signed it'll be a short-term deal at reasonable money. It's not like he has a lot of leverage, and his future is on the 3rd pair unless Myers fails to develop, in which case we'll need to resign Braun to buy time to develop young defensemen and probably trade for a RHD.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
The meltdown when Braun is re-signed....

I don't see it even if they had interest. We won't have much cap space to play with after we re-sign our RFA's, so unless he wants less than $1 million, he is probably gone. Other teams may extend him a better offer than we can manage.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I don't see it even if they had interest. We won't have much cap space to play with after we re-sign our RFA's, so unless he wants less than $1 million, he is probably gone. Other teams may extend him a better offer than we can manage.
Silly man.

Ghost makes 4.5 million....there is your money.

Provy Nisky
Sanheim Braun
Hagg Myers
Friedman

Get ready for it...

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Fletch has been a total mixed bag, which I think was all you can expect. He's your standard proactive GM, makes moves when he feels they're necessary, wins some, loses some. Interested to see what comes next.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers aren't rebuilding anymore, they don't need to "win" deals, they need to make the right deals (that improve the team).
As long as Fletcher doesn't go trading 1st rd picks and top prospects at the TDL for rentals, I'm happy.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Pretty much. He's not moving the needle much in either direction.

Not to dwell on the negatives, but I just don't know how you give a player a $50 million dollar contract and he's not even a PP regular less than a month into the contract. Like you really didn't have the foresight to see that that would be a possibility? And that includes Farabee not getting special teams work and obviously Patrick. That's not a good allocation of resources imo.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne

Not to dwell on the negatives, but I just don't know how you give a player a $50 million dollar contract and he's not even a PP regular less than a month into the contract. Like you really didn't have the foresight to see that that would be a possibility? And that includes Farabee not getting special teams work and obviously Patrick. That's not a good allocation of resources imo.

Well, I think I'm alright with that. They already had the guns for a PP, they really needed center depth at 5v5 and shorthanded. Hayes has been, eh, alright for those two things. Obviously, you want a bit more for the pricetag.

Where he'll really come in handy is if--God forbid--we endure an injury to someone important, particularly Giroux or Couturier. At some point in the next 7 years (he won't last that long), Hayes will be called upon to step up in a big way and in all situations, and we'll see then how he performs.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hayes is exactly as advertised, he's on track for 35-40 ES points and another 10 between PP and PK.
He's a top PK guy and his line is stepping up now that he has forwards suited to his style of play (big jump with Laughton at LW).
Hayes ain't gonna wow you, but he's solidified the center spot with Patrick out, and can move to RW next year if Patrick returns.
This flexibility helps in roster building.

The JVR contract is more troubling, it's not that JVR can't play, it's just that right now it's hard finding a center to pair him with, Frost is too inexperienced, a bad fit with Hayes, and they're lined up for the privilege of pairing with Couts at LW.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018

I just can't see this team with a group down the middle of Coots, Frost, Laughton, Raffl competing. He obviously knew of Patricks situation to be so proactive on Hayes. Hayes has helped on the PK big time. As has Braun. Biggest turn around on this team has been the PK. IMO.

Too much $$$ on Hayes by 3/4-1 million. But basically market on a UFA. A 2nd too much for Braun.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

It was not a great allocation of resources but everyone has bosses. I wouldn’t doubt Comcast wanted a playoff birth no matter what this season. So waste cap space or trade away assets? Bring back the team with a couple of unknown rookies as the only additions wasn’t going to bring fan interest back. Even with the additions and hot start, the team is drawing luke warm attention in Philly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad