GM Chuck Fletcher v4

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
the point is, common sense needs to be made here. Myers shouldn't be gifted anything until he has proven he can play at a high level for a lengthy period of time. there is nothing wrong with having him 3RHD next year. it annoys me seeing people put him in the top 4 over a proven vet like Niskanen. Myers is simply not good enough yet. someday? perhaps. next season? highly unlikely.

we all make the mistake of putting too much on these kids. i've been guilty of it too. we have a history of putting young players in roles that they are clearly unprepared for.
When Myers stepped in last year, at first he looked like arguably the team's best defenseman (granted, on a terrible team defense). But ultimately, he didn't accomplish a hell of a lot despite some eye-popping displays of athleticism and defensive tools.

His game in the NHL is probably going to be defensively oriented. So let him grow into that role on the 3rd pair. Thrusting him immediately into a top 4 role would be a mistake, IMO. If he can show he deserves it on a consistent basis, they'll give him the minutes, as a player with his defensive tools is very valuable.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
I would love to see Myers show in training camp that he is a top 4 D and pair him with Sanheim. A Sanheim/Myers pairing could be amazing to watch for many seasons. If not at the start of the season then by mid-season.

If Niskanen isn't paired with Provy to start the season I would be surprised. That'll be the pairing that will play the hardest minutes I would guess.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
we all make the mistake of putting too much on these kids. i've been guilty of it too. we have a history of putting young players in roles that they are clearly unprepared for.

If you look at even top players, most struggle as rookies and emerge in their 2nd or 3rd seasons.
Especially younger players who haven't had 3 years of college or a couple AHL seasons.

Thomas had a nice season for St Louis, but he was also sheltered:
26 ES points, 7 PP points, 11:39 at ES, 1:16 a night on PP2.
In the playoffs 21g 1-4 5 ES, 1 PP assist, 13:07 total.

Dunn played 17:14 (15:09 ES) as a 21 year old rookie, with 15 ES points
Dunn played 17:27 (15:18 ES) as a 2nd year player, with 27 ES points

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Haha was it you

Maaaaaaaybeeeeee

qYO9wm0.gif

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Fans do the same thing when a fan favorite is traded. Its not the new players fault.
Also very dumb.

Kinda like how I disagreed with booing MacDonald when his name was announced on opening night. Boo when he screws up on ice but there’s no reason to try to make players feel bad for things they can’t control.

We bash players all the time for sucking, and that’s fine, but going out of your way to bring it to their attention is just too much, in my opinion.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Also very dumb.

Kinda like how I disagreed with booing MacDonald when his name was announced on opening night. Boo when he screws up on ice but there’s no reason to try to make players feel bad for things they can’t control.

We bash players all the time for sucking, and that’s fine, but going out of your way to bring it to their attention is just too much, in my opinion.

Opening night was pretty rough, but I fully endorsed booing him every single other game of the season lol

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Opening night was pretty rough, but I fully endorsed booing him every single other game of the season lol
I'm not someone who feels bad about shitting on people when I feel they deserve it, but I just can't blame MacDonald for anything that happened when he was here.

He sucks on the ice and he shouldn't have played even 1/10 of the games he played here, but it's really not his fault and I hold no grudges against him.

He didn't offer himself that contract.
He didn't decide to play poorly.
He didn't overuse himself.
He didn't force himself into the lineup where he didn't belong.
He wasn't lazy.
He wasn't a bad teammate.
He wasn't a distraction.

I don't blame him.
I blame Holmgren, Hakstol, and Hextall.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
I'm not someone who feels bad about ****ting on people when I feel they deserve it, but I just can't blame MacDonald for anything that happened when he was here.

He sucks on the ice and he shouldn't have played even 1/10 of the games he played here, but it's really not his fault and I hold no grudges against him.

He didn't offer himself that contract.
He didn't decide to play poorly.
He didn't overuse himself.
He didn't force himself into the lineup where he didn't belong.
He wasn't lazy.
He wasn't a bad teammate.
He wasn't a distraction.

I don't blame him.
I blame Holmgren, Hakstol, and Hextall.

Hak's emotional intelligence will be a case study for centuries

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
AMac was never as bad as some uninformed people keep proclaiming.

He was a generic 3rd pair defenseman who was overused because we traded our whole defense (Kimmo, Coburn, Streit, L Schenn, Grossman) and added other mediocre defensemen, MDZ, Schultz, Manning.

He had a similar career to Nick Schultz, but Schultz came here on a low cost contract to be a 3rd pair defenseman so expectations were limited, AMac was grossly overpaid and fans blamed him for Holmgren's folly.

Guy had 27.5 career GAR, including 17.3 as a Flyer, which is well above replacement.

Reactions: LorneMalvo

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
How Flyers fan feel about the comment of Hayes he said at one friend. I came here just if i m overpaid

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
How Flyers fan feel about the comment of Hayes he said at one friend. I came here just if i m overpaid

It's reported from a guy who acts like a former fan that developed a grudge against the team. The report has already been contradicted. And Hayes wasn't exactly given much overpayment; If all it takes is 400k-600k to get him to go someplace he opposes, then he probably wasn't very opposed.

In other news, I guess we have a few years of having outsiders come here to ask about Serevalli's idiotic rambling to look forward to. We have our new Panotch.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
It's reported from a guy who acts like a former fan that developed a grudge against the team. The report has already been contradicted. And Hayes wasn't exactly given much overpayment; If all it takes is 400k-600k to get him to go someplace he opposes, then he probably wasn't very opposed.

In other news, I guess we have a few years of having outsiders come here to ask about Serevalli's idiotic rambling to look forward to. We have our new Panotch.
Ok good to know

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Duh, of course it costs more to get a player to go to a team that hasn't won a playoff round (and was lucky to do so in 2011-12) in seven years relative to serious SC contenders. That's the cost of free agency. We weren't getting the Duchene discount.

But given what Zuc, Lee, Nelson, et al, garnered, Hayes was the market rate.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad