Post-Game Talk: GM 4: Canucks @ Sharks - Bye, Bye AV

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
Holy cow these Team 1040 guys think they're the dictators of Canucks opinions with their little disconnect button as soon as they don't like something someone says. I don't know how people can tolerate listening to these guys on a consistent basis. I like to tune in to hear some opinions in the playoffs but that's about all I can take.

Those disconnect button traits are pretty annoying....however, that one guy was so plastered he couldnt speak.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Dude I'm sorry to say this but I wouldn't be surprised if that number was similar for the majority of ref's in the league. Honestly, I think we might get more calls with a new coach who comes in and makes a lot of noise about discipline.

The last couple regular seasons, we've been near even in terms of power plays vs. being shorthanded.

We were -5 in 5 playoff games last year, and -6 in 24 playoff games the year before. That stat about Sutherland is just ridiculous.

digger18

Feb 23, 2009
Williams Lake B.C.
I agreed with that last caller in so many ways.....Anyone who plays and beats Vancouver comes out of the series with nothing less than a dust off, feeling healthy and fresh as can be....ready to move onto the next series without even needing an ice pack....Maybe thats why whoever beats us has gone on to the cup so often. Nobody pays a physical price at all to beat the Canucks.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I felt like an old friend just died. These Canucks should be gutted. They are done. If we keep this current core it will be too late. You can no longer resuscitate them. Big changes need to be made.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Oh lawd. That shift @ 2:37 by San Jose :shakehead. Wingels pulled a Kesler cartwheel at center ice and Pavelski grabbed Bieksa's stick and fell into the corner.

Before this series started I said I would cheer for San Jose if they beat us, but after watching Couture, Thornton, Wingels, Burish and Pavelski dive all over the ice I just can't do it.

We shouldn't be upset at the diving by SJ. It's the refs that chose to make those calls. Yes, it suck that the calls went 24-10 for the series, but that's on the refs, not on SJ for trying.

StringerBell

We shouldn't be upset at the diving by SJ. It's the refs that chose to make those calls. Yes, it suck that the calls went 24-10 for the series, but that's on the refs, not on SJ for trying.

You can be mad at whatever you like. I get upset seeing our players dive, I don't see why I can't be upset seeing our opponents do it more.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Excuses. At the end of the day, those guys - especially Roy - just have to find a way to put some points on the board.

Unfortunately, it is not quite that simple. When you put players in a position to fail, it's difficult to criticize them when they do precisely that. Higgins being forced into a defensive exclusive role will inevitably limit his offense. Roy is the same. If AV had a brain, he would have left Higgins/Kesler/Roy together the moment he show them mesh and left well enough alone.

yoss

May 25, 2011
Just the biggest kick in the balls way to end it. On so many levels.

I will say this though; they fought hard, especially in the 3rd. They went down fighting. So I can respect that. Tough last 2 calls, Schneids looked out of sorts. Heartbreak ending but it's familiar territory really to Nuck fans.

We'll see what happens next year, should be interesting. I assume change of some sort is coming.

WestleySnipez

Christmas came early
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver. Duh.
So who is getting moved/let go in the offseason in your guys' opinions?

My take:
Roy probably won't be offered a resigning, nor will he probably want to come back after this "playoff run."

Raymond either is released or signs for around 1.25 mil and stays as a 3rd line winger. I know he had 22 points this season, but he hasn't been the same player since his 25 goal season.

Booth and Ballard are dealt for late round picks to other divisions. Ballard was overshadowed by Alberts at the end, Booth should be kept on IMO, but Gillis will most likely deal him. He has been injury prone, and hasn't been able to make an impact with us.

Loungo is dealt to a team like Minnesota or Phoenix. Smith's rumored 7 for 8 is absolutely ridiculous, Louie would be a better goaltender for less money, and Backstrom may retire.

A 3rd line center is brought on board, either through trade or via FA, and we can lose Ebbett. Gordon or Hecht maybe worth while in FA.

Right handed defenseman who can be an actual 6th defenseman is acquired, or Corrado makes the team next season. This is pretty important, because as good of a job as Alberts did, he's not good enough to be a full-time d-man.

Then lastly, if we have enough cap space, sign better 4th line wingers (MAYBE TORRES?) I know he is more of a 3rd liner, but it would be better than Pinnizotto, Sestito, or Ebbett, plus we could rotate him around with Raymond and Hansen.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
You can be mad at whatever you like. I get upset seeing our players dive, I don't see why I can't be upset seeing our opponents do it more.

But you still cheer for this team. Not an NHL fan, but a VAN fan, right? So if you cheer for this team knowing that they dive, I'm not sure why seeing them dive should stop you from cheering for them (as per your original intention).

Anything above that should actually be directed to the refs, because it's really not team-centric. But hey, I'm just clarifying the difference in your position. Doesn't mean that you can't hate on everything SJ. Feel free.

Last edited:

Towel-Power

GoCanucksGo
Apr 1, 2007
HomeoftheClassless
Also, Canucks got pretty average ratings. CBC definitely made the right choice going with Montreal and Ottawa. Even Philly and the Pens series on TSN last year got higher ratings than the Canucks did on TSN this year. Kind of surprised. You can say it's because we went down 3-0 but game 1 was low as well and our game 3 against LA last year had a million more viewers but that was on CBC.
LA-STL on CBC this year got as high of ratings as the Canucks did. Weird.

Montreal vs. Ottawa (CBC/RDS)
Game 1, 5/2: 1.9 million (CBC) + 1.2 million (RDS) = 3.1 million
Game 2, 5/3: 1.8 million (CBC) + 1.2 million (RDS) = 3 million
Game 3, 5/5: 2.3 million (CBC) + 1.3 million (RDS) = 3.6 million

Boston vs. Toronto (CBC)
Game 1, 5/1: 2.6 million
Game 2, 5/4: 3.2 million

Vancouver vs. San Jose (TSN)
Game 1, 5/1: 1.25 million
Game 2, 5/3: 1.3 million
Game 3, 5/5: 1.1 million

St. Louis vs. Los Angeles (CBC)
Game 1, 4/30: 1.3 million*
Game 2, 5/2: 822, 000
Game 3, 5/4: 1.1 million

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.com/

Really the least of our worries but interesting nonetheless.

TTOMO

Aug 30, 2011
Port Moody, BC
We scored 8 goals this series, islanders scored 6 in one game

Eight goals in this series, eight goals in the LA series, eight goals in the Finals.

Never again, Canucks. I don't want to see another series with only eight goals ever again.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Eight goals in this series, eight goals in the LA series, eight goals in the Finals.

Never again, Canucks. I don't want to see another series with only eight goals ever again.

at least it took less games to get to 8 this time.

2011 - 7 games
2012 - 5 games
2013 - 4 games

oh look we are improving!

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Also, Canucks got pretty average ratings. CBC definitely made the right choice going with Montreal and Ottawa. Even Philly and the Pens series on TSN last year got higher ratings than the Canucks did on TSN this year. Kind of surprised. You can say it's because we went down 3-0 but game 1 was low as well and our game 3 against LA last year had a million more viewers but that was on CBC.

Boston vs. Toronto (CBC)

It's the style of play for the most part. The system AV has them playing is boring as it has ever been. It was like that for most of the season and nothing changed in the playoffs. When the teams fans can barely stay tuned in how can they expect non fans to. Too many other series going on that were playoff quality.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna

Boston vs. Toronto (CBC)

Pretty much a no brainer that Montreal-Ottawa and Toronto-Boston would do well in the ratings. Eastern time zone starts, compelling match-ups with the high octane offense east, long drought in Toronto's case. Canucks games were starting at 10 PM eastern time. I'm sure more western fans were catching the 4 PM games than eastern fans were staying up for the boring, defensive chess match western games that mostly started around 10 PM.

Towel-Power

GoCanucksGo
Apr 1, 2007
HomeoftheClassless
Pretty much a no brainer that Montreal-Ottawa and Toronto-Boston would do well in the ratings. Eastern time zone starts, compelling match-ups with the high octane offense east, long drought in Toronto's case. Canucks games were starting at 10 PM eastern time. I'm sure more western fans were catching the 4 PM games than eastern fans were staying up for the boring, defensive chess match western games that mostly started around 10 PM.

Even then, Canucks ratings were down 50% from the series vs the Kings last year.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Even then, Canucks ratings were down 50% from the series vs the Kings last year.

Last year the Canucks were coming off a Finals appearance and had high expectations leading in with their President's trophy win. This year, they finished third, played pretty uninspired hockey for large stretches, generally had a rough time in games vs playoff teams, and went in as an under-the-radar team. Expectations were much lower. Special teams were terrible all season, and they were middle of the pack offensively.

While I felt going in that we would win in 6, I also wasn't going to be shocked if we lost the series. I'm shocked though with the way it went down. Two blown late leads in the 3rd, and the worst part is it was predictable. In game two, I considered the 2-1 goal to be the one that would at least get the Canucks to OT, and of course that's what happened. I had no confidence in their 3-2 lead last night either. The PK was just terrible this series, incompetent one-sided refs or not, they needed to kill more penalties.

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Canucks don't have a rivalry with San Jose, they aren't a big name team and they don't have any big stars. It wasn't really a very exciting match up.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Not that we deserved to win this series but the officiating here was ridiculous even by modern NHL game management standards. The raw stats scream WTF.

PP minus PK time:
SJS 20:40
STL 8:11
MIN 8:05
OTT 6:22
NYR 5:54
NYI 4:25
ANA 4:11
TOR 3:25
BOS -3:25
DET -4:11
PIT -4:25
WSH -5:54
MTL -6:22
CHI -8:05
LAK -8:11
VAN -20:40

Why not just put in writing that come playoffs Nucks must spend close to 10% of game time in the box over and above the opposition and be done with it?

hockeywoot

Oct 29, 2010
China
On the bright side, rather than delaying the inevitable, another early exit will hopefully speed up some much needed changes.

No, the team doesn't need to be blown up.
The hyperbole is strong with this thread.

Some adjustments must be made though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad