Post-Game Talk: GM 4: Canucks @ Sharks - Bye, Bye AV

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
I take it you don't comprehend why that would be? Maybe it was because he wants the net, and he was getting split duty with Schneider. He didn't want to force Schneider out of town if there was a way to swing moving him to Florida, but the South East dream is dead. Make him the starter again by trading Schneider, and that problem goes away.

That's a lot of maybes.

On the other hand here's what we do know:

-Luongo asked to be traded
-after a season where he started 56 of the team's 87 games he was quoted as saying "it's time to move on"
-his family doesn't live in Vancouver with him
-he's currently selling his Vancouver residence

You may disagree, but this situation strikes me as one that's a lot more complicated than Luongo simply wanting to be starter. I also think a lot more highly of him than to think he'd go through all this crap just to avoid competing for the starter's job.

Britton

Nov 28, 2008
Agreed.

Our playoff history:

2009 - 2nd round exit
2010 - 2nd round exit
2011 - SCF exit
2012 - 1st round exit
2013 - 1st round exit

The trend here shows this team is a 1st/2nd round at best team, that had one lucky run. I believe that everything that could go right did go right for us in 2011, but we have lost too many of the key pieces that made us successful in 2011 and now coupled with natural regression this core will never get back to that level.

By that logic pretty much every team is a "1st/2nd round at best team". Only two teams in that same time frame have made it to the Conference Finals more than once. Chicago, and San Jose and San Jose got hammered both times.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
By that logic pretty much every team is a "1st/2nd round at best team". Only two teams in that same time frame have made it to the Conference Finals more than once. Chicago, and San Jose and San Jose got hammered both times.

Exactly.

The standard being described here is so out of line.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
wow so much fail here.

umm.. that's not what he said. He said Schneider has no playoff experience not that Lu's had more experience. no one is argueing that.

actually most analysis did have us as the favorites. No one predicted that SJS will blow us out 4-0.

Ebbett was playing wing for first 2 games. That's not Schroeder's position.

Bieska-Edler is a terrible pairing have you not been watching!??! They were over played. I lost count how many mistake Edler and Bieska made. They certainly don't deserved to play more min than Garrison-Hamhuis. What offensive?? They combined for 1 point with a goal by Edler in the last game. Im not even going to count Bieska's Torres goal.

WE DID NOT LOSE DUE TO PUCK LUCK. SJS outchanced us easily.

The only 'fail' is that you haven't calmed down yet about the series. Get over it.

I saw about as many analysts picking SJS in 6 or 7 as I did Canucks in 6 or 7. They were only separated by a couple points, it's not like the Canucks won the PT this year. This should have been an even matchup with neither team as the favorite. I don't know what media you were watching before the series.

You're arguing a pretty minor point. I don't think Cherry was completely unaware that Schneider had played in the playoffs before, he was saying he didn't have any experience. A couple games isn't really anything compared to Luongo's playoff career. That minor detail doesn't take away from his point about playoff experience.

Get over your Ebbett fixation, he was a pretty minor factor in this series. Even teams like Pittsburgh have cheap, cap savings guys like Tanner Glass.

Offensive potential is obviously what I'm talking about, not how many points actually got put up. He put his best two defensive players together in Hamhuis-Garrison with Hamhuis bringing the sandpaper, and put his best two offensive D-men together with Bieksa bringing the sandpaper.

On the last point, try reading for comprehension. I didn't say they lost due to luck, I said that none of the luck went their way and they could have come out with a 2-2 series tie if a couple things went their way.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
The only 'fail' is that you haven't calmed down yet about the series. Get over it.

I saw about as many analysts picking SJS in 6 or 7 as I did Canucks in 6 or 7. They were only separated by a couple points, it's not like the Canucks won the PT this year. This should have been an even matchup with neither team as the favorite. I don't know what media you were watching before the series.

You're arguing a pretty minor point. I don't think Cherry was completely unaware that Schneider had played in the playoffs before, he was saying he didn't have any experience. A couple games isn't really anything compared to Luongo's playoff career. That minor detail doesn't take away from his point about playoff experience.

Get over your Ebbett fixation, he was a pretty minor factor in this series. Even teams like Pittsburgh have cheap, cap savings guys like Tanner Glass.

Offensive potential is obviously what I'm talking about, not how many points actually got put up. He put his best two defensive players together in Hamhuis-Garrison with Hamhuis bringing the sandpaper, and put his best two offensive D-men together with Bieksa bringing the sandpaper.

On the last point, try reading for comprehension. I didn't say they lost due to luck, I said that none of the luck went their way and they could have come out with a 2-2 series tie if a couple things went their way.

TSN/Sportsnet maybe a little biased but either way most of them had it as a close series not a swept.

Never argued about who has better playoff experience. I just pointed out that Cherry didn't know Schneider played playoffs before. He fact, he played more games in the playoffs than Lu last year. looks like you need some reading comprehension.

Ebbett should of never been on the ice. No sane coach would put him out there. Our 4th line made an impact when he was finally off of there and you need 4 line to play in the playoffs. Cant have them play 3 min a game to tire out the rest of your line.

Again Bieska/Edler was a complete mess. They did not play good and he kept playing them together. Who cares about about potential or in theory... Results are not there and AV keep trying to make Bieska/Edler work until down 0-3 in the series. I am pretty sure you are the only person in these forum defending AV's decision to put Bieska/Edler together for 3 straight games.

on last point.. you did say series could of been 2-2 if puck luck went out way... which i disagree with since we didn't create enough scoring chance vs what SJS created to even out the puck luck theory. i am not sure what i am looking at here??... either way you are wrong. Series won't be tied if a few puck luck went our way. By that logic you can justify almost every lost by the Canucks.

Last edited:

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Exactly.

The standard being described here is so out of line.

True on the surface. The problem with this team is the manner in which they've exited the playoffs in each of those seasons. Wheels falling off in the Chicago/Boston series (although injuries hammered them against Boston), and utter embarrassments against LA and San Jose.

The loser of the Blues/Kings series can hold their collective head up high. Can the Canucks do the same?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
True on the surface. The problem with this team is the manner in which they've exited the playoffs in each of those seasons. Wheels falling off in the Chicago/Boston series (although injuries hammered them against Boston), and utter embarrassments against LA and San Jose.

The loser of the Blues/Kings series can hold their collective head up high. Can the Canucks do the same?

After 4 games

STL 1.75 goals per game
LA 1.75 goals per game

People around here are going mental over our lack scoring (2.0 gpg)

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
After 4 games

STL 1.75 goals per game
LA 1.75 goals per game

People around here are going mental over our lack scoring (2.0 gpg)

Which is a saw off. The Canucks had a playoff-worst 1.75 goal differential. If the Canucks could have won any of those 4 games, I wouldn't have cared how they did it.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

No, they can't. They were worse offensively and defensively. Nothing positive came out the series. That said, if the Blues bow out, one could aptly apply the moniker of them being a 1st round team because that's when the exited. That's the argument here. Reducing a series or an opponent to simply when you team exits the playoffs. Not the quality of the games they played.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Which is a saw off. The Canucks had a playoff-worst 1.75 goal differential. If the Canucks could have won any of those 4 games, I wouldn't have cared how they did it.

Bet the loser disagrees. Besides which if 1.75 GF/g is acceptable does that mean the canucks should be looking to upgrade in goal because that must be the problem. If LA wins the next game STL will have choked on 4 straight losses.

Last edited:

Finkle is Einhorn

Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
No, they can't. They were worse offensively and defensively. Nothing positive came out the series. That said, if the Blues bow out, one could aptly apply the moniker of them being a 1st round team because that's when the exited. That's the argument here. Reducing a series or an opponent to simply when you team exits the playoffs. Not the quality of the games they played.

Agreed.

Bet the loser disagrees. Besides which if 1.75 GF/g is acceptable does that mean the canucks should be looking to upgrade in goal because that must be the problem. If LA wins the next game STL will have choked on 4 straight losses.

Why do the goalies take the brunt of that 1.75 goal differential? The defensive system is as big of a mess as the offensive one is.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
On TSN they're showing the Top 10 Playoff Rants at Refs inspired by crappy calls. I came in at no. 8...was this list inspired by the call on Sedin yesterday?

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Still can't believe we lost to those ****ing goons in '11 and these milk hotdogs this year.

Hopefully we can win a Cup before I die...I'm 20 so hopefully they can do it by 2053.

I really wanted this core to do it. They really deserve it but alas, it was not meant to be. Instead, we are again stuck with the "what ifs?" I don't like what ifs. For the core, 2014 is there last shot. New coach, I think. Hopefully Guy Boucher. I really like the guy's pedigree and hockey philosophy. MG needs to make this team more like the 2011 team. New 3rd line centre, better 4th line. Stability on the blue-line and most of all, our PP and PK needs to be better.

That won't match the 2011 team but damn close. That team had the best record in the NHL, the most GF, the least GA. Not even the Hawks team today have done that. No team before 1977 had done that. It was fun to watch hockey games. Hell, it was fun to watch hockey games when it seemed all of our games were 4-3 or 5-4 and it looked like our team actually gave a **** when we were down 1 or 2 goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad