Post-Game Talk: GM 4: Canucks def. Flyers - 3-2 in an SO (Pearson, Boeser)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddawg1950

Jul 2, 2010
Pender Island, BC Palm Desert, CA
Well, ugly two points. But that's two points taken from a very good hockey team.

And Quinn Hughes is making progress. I mean that in the most complimentary way. As good as this kid was at the end of last year, he has shown improvement already. Kid really is going to be something.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
marky getting way too much credit here. the team and defence controlled most of the play in front if him. he made the saves he is supposed to make.

would like to have seen more pushback but the team played well defensively in the third.

Reactions: alternate

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
marky getting way too much credit here. the team and defence controlled most of the play in front if him. he made the saves he is supposed to make.

would like to have seen more pushback but the team played well defensively in the third.

We were outshot 17-2 and were completely dominated. What in the hell were you watching? Markstrom made like 4, 5 alarm saves that period. We’d be 1-3 right now without him, full stop.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver

I don't entirely agree. The D in front of him has been like, an order of magnitude stronger than it was last year, which has helped a ton with keeping a lot of those chances low danger, but he still makes exceptional key saves every period that keep his team in it. He's been extremely sharp.

Reactions: geebaan

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Great first two periods, terrible third. Seems like we sat back and Philly finally woke up

Canucko

Sep 6, 2019
But Markstrom was brought in by Gillis, so really he’s not that good. The defense Bennings brought in though, they’re the bees knees.

Funny that the only person bringing up Gilles and/or Benning is you. Maybe take note.

Reactions: Nomobo

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Not all shots are equal. We were really outplayed in the first part of the 3rd though.
Yeah, one thing thats been nice to see, both in the kings game and this one, is that the D has been a lot better with making some of those chances lower danger shots that glance off Markstroms pad around the side of the net. A number of those would have been defensive breakdowns in the past. Still a lot to be desired, but I'm more worried about our offense than our defense atm which is a little shocking?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Uh...what? They were outshot by...how much? Without Markstrom, they lose 5-2, 6-2. Something like that. What game did you watch, man?

i think we lose without a goalie who stops all the shots an nhl goalie is supposed to stop but that was a game i was sure the canucks would win before the penalty because the flyers were not getting second and third opportunities and their good scoring chances were still top of the slot.

what are the game stealing saves he made in the third? there was maybe one cross ice play.

he was very good but not great. because he did not need to be great.

Reactions: Nomobo

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Certainly the worst aspect of our D atm is getting the puck out of our own zone, but its more of a systematic issue than anything. They just need to play a little more composed and take an extra look before blindly throwing passes onto the opposing teams tape

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I have only liked Pettersson's game in one game against edmonton.

Just don't like it right now. He is chasing the game.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

What on earth were you watching?

Markstrom was absolutely outstanding tonight and had to be as the team was caved in in the second half of the game.

Reactions: geebaan and clunk

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I thought the team collapsed decently around Marky and Myers especially broke up some good cross-ice chances and generally moved the puck with some authority out of the zone. Generally the biggest problem was the forwards and defense were out of sync and they kept handing the puck back to the Flyers. Gotta give some credit to them, they owned the middle of the ice.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
2-3 point blank saves in the 3rd - one on a Flyer trailing the play who had a pass tipped back to him stands out - and one of the saves of the season so far on Voracek in the first.

That whole 3rd period was a fire drill defensively.

ok. a save in the third so memorable you can't recall who shot it and a save in the first. got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad