Post-Game Talk: GM 4: Canucks def. Flyers - 3-2 in an SO (Pearson, Boeser)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
I'm glad we were patient on Marky. He has turned into a solid starter for us. Wasn't he used to be called the monster before he was drafted? Well he had a monster game today and saved our butts.

Reactions: Regular David Bruce

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Took Markstrom a while to get going.
People thought he was a bust at that time..takes awhile for goaltenders to get steady.
Well late bloomers.

I remember he was touted as the best goalie prospect for a while. Glad he has finally found his game.

Reactions: bh53

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
They played great in the first half - if they were a bit sharper they could have been up 2 or 3. But they could not do much with possession when the Flyers started effectively getting into lanes and transitioning well - that's what AV's Canucks could do so well back at the height of the Sedin era.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Tyler Myers is a good fit for Vancouver.

Agreed. He gives us 2 solid pairings, and with Jamie Benn stabilizing the third pairing our D has looked much more solid.

Usually it's just Edler and Tanev mixed with a whole lot of garbage.

Reactions: bh53

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Team should buy Markstrom dinner for the next week after this one.

Markstrom, Tanev, Pearson, Hughes, Miller were good.

Boeser scored but is a black hole when the puck isn’t on his stick in the offensive zone.

Leivo had a nightmare game handling the puck but does have better hands than that. Feel bad for him tonight.

Pettersson has lost his mojo right now.

Ferland looks like a donkey of a signing. Ugh.

Sutter is just lagging out there.

Virtanen is such a frustrating player.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Why do we keep giving guys that should never be on more than 2 year deals twice as long as that? Every bottom 6 signing has been 4+ years its absolutely insane.

Reactions: Green Blank Stare

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
Canucks need a top 6 winger and a #3 centre upgrade.

Don’t think in house options are good enough. Can’t expect marks to bail them out all the time. Need to win some games 5-4 during the year.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
Top 6 needs to get going, but other than that there isn't that much for me to complain about. Team needs to figure out what to do in their own end as a whole, since their efforts at weakly shoveling it out got them into a ton of trouble tonight. I think Bo and Pearson are doing well enough, especially with their low shooting %s atm, but every chance that line puts on Leivos stick is just thrown in the garbage. I feel like anyone else in that spot would at least get the puck on net

Grip it N RYP it

Apr 20, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Stacks the pads!!!!!! Ahhh yeahhh

ClearExhaustedBuckeyebutterfly-size_restricted.gif

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
that was an okay game. they would have won in regulation without the ref's brainfart. the flyers pushed for the whole third and the d held firm rolling three pairings. not something that happened last year.

great game by benn and pearson. marky very good but not required to be great. good game by leivo who had a bushel of scoring chances he could not finish.

several forwards needing to get in gear but enough are working for now.

pearson emerging as a leader.

pettersson learning.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
This is a much better team than last year. No way we're a lottery team. I expect us to be right there on the bubble all season long.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I think Pettersson just needs to try to force more stuff by himself. I feel like that was the single biggest change he made that let his production drop off last season - deferring more and trying to be a playmaker rather than just flying in and taking one timers and wristers. He can be a one man show if he wants to be - and should be instead of trying to force something across a lane

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
I think Pettersson just needs to try to force more stuff by himself. I feel like that was the single biggest change he made that let his production drop off last season - deferring more and trying to be a playmaker rather than just flying in and taking one timers and wristers. He can be a one man show if he wants to be - and should be instead of trying to force something across a lane

Agreed, he needs to attack and be a bit more chaotic in terms of getting to the next and driving it forward rather than slowing it down. The whole line is playing somewhat confused. It hasn't helped with Boeser killing plays. He's proving to be a slow starter.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well, more or less what I was expecting. They're good enough to hang with decent teams in the early, sloppy days when the season's still rubbing the sleep out of its eyes, largely due to Marky. If you're expecting massive improvement...I've got a bridge to sell you.

+++Marky. Once again, dragged the team kicking and screaming into the W column. The Canucks are so dead without him. On a lighter note, what the hell is that on his mask now? I didn't like the ears but wtf are those beige things on the left? Barbie doll legs?

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser: had some moments but far from the dominant line you'd like to see. Boeser pisses me off sometimes. He looks like he's labouring in his stride, but then you see him really try to skate and you realize how much he floats. Annoying. Pettersson is still head and shoulders the best player on the team. Not worried about him at all, he'll get it going. Miller was Miller. Doing what you want for now...but I'd still rather have the picks.

Leivo - Horvat - Pearson: Dear holy f***ing shit get Leivo further down the lineup. He's a larger, tougher Granlund at this point; playing way too far up because they're hoping he hits levels they inexplicably can't see he doesn't have. Reminds me a lot of Bernier. That's not a good thing. Cap Bo and Pearson I thought both did well tonight. Their line was the most consistently dangerous, imho.

Bottom 6 mishmash was there. Glad Gaudette got a shot at C over Sutter. He and Virtanen is kind of redundant on the same line; two shoot-first, north/south wingers who don't use their linemates aren't going to get a lot done most nights. Like tonight. Ferland and Virtanen both had some moments of physical play. Beagle existed. Meh.

Edler - Myers: cracks showing in Myers' play. Can't skate backwards nearly as well as you'd hope for a guy they threw all this money at. Suspect plays a few times behind his own net; sometimes holds the puck too long and isn't nearly as physical as you'd expect for a guy his size. Nobody has at any point brought these things up during the summer.

Hughes - Tanev: Hughes continues to dazzle, Tanev continues to grind down defensively. A lot to like in this pair...but there's the sense the dam could burst at any moment. Don't see it lasting when the going gets really tough. Still, Hughes is still a treat to watch.

Benn - Stecher: Still the weakest pair. Benn not being as stable as sold, Stecher getting ground down. I've been rooting for him ever since he set foot here, but I just don't think he's good enough to really compensate for his lack of size and strength.

Another day, another game.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I thought Myers was pretty good honestly. I'm very content with his play so far, the only concern is how his game will age. Not super thrilled about how that contract might look in its final years.

Reactions: sting101
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad