Post-Game Talk: GM 4: Canucks def. Flyers - 3-2 in an SO (Pearson, Boeser)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I have only liked Pettersson's game in one game against edmonton.

Just don't like it right now. He is chasing the game.
I don't think he's playing as well as he or anyone else wants him to atm, but I'm not worried. I'll stew about any other aspect or player on the team but he's someone I have 100% confidence in to figure it out and work through the extra attention.

Certainly the worst aspect of our D atm is getting the puck out of our own zone, but its more of a systematic issue than anything. They just need to play a little more composed and take an extra look before blindly throwing passes onto the opposing teams tape

Yeah...and that's kinda the issue. Crumbling under pressure is something the Canucks' D has been so prone to for so long it barely even registers with me now. All this money spent on new faces but the same old problem remains. Because after all the movement the Canucks still only have two guys who can steady a pairing in their own end; Edler and Tanev. When they go down, and they will, the fun will really begin.

Reactions: I am toxic

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
What on earth were you watching?

Markstrom was absolutely outstanding tonight and had to be as the team was caved in in the second half of the game.
Caved in for half the game is complete hyberbole, lol. They got outplayed for first 10 minutes of the third, rest of the game was fairly even. Plus they were leading in the game, what did you call it again when the Canucks "caved in" Calgary in the third? Score effect?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Wow... Markström mvp so far.

Got out shot by a Philly team that has bounced all over the world and escape with 2 points.

Our top 6 looks flat so far. Not able to maintain any kind of possession 50n5 in the oZone.

Caved in for half the game is complete hyberbole, lol. They got outplayed for first 10 minutes of the third, rest of the game was fairly even. Plus they were leading in the game, what did you call it again when the Canucks "caved in" Calgary in the third? Score effect?

Its not hyperbole. We got outplayed hard. Outshot and out chanced 2:1.

YouNeedToBeInformed

Sep 23, 2019
Pettersson looks lost 5 on 5. Nobody smart enough to play a quick possession game with him. Boeser is more like a third complimentary trigger guy on a line.

That's not to say pettersson isn't a big part of his struggles, he needs to be so much better as well

Last edited:

Numba9

Oct 3, 2011
New Westminster, BC
Wow... Markström mvp so far.

Got out shot by a Philly team that has bounced all over the world and escape with 2 points.

Our top 6 looks flat so far. Not able to maintain any kind of possession 50n5 in the oZone.
They played 1 game in 8 days since their opener. Not sure I get all the fatigue excuses especially this early in the year.

Reactions: Red

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Very disjointed effort. Got very good goal tending some bounces and 2 undeserved points. So-called offensive players have got to be. Lot better.

Good

Pearson - MVP at the moment. Best at just about every facet of the game.

Miller - another solid effort. The one thing holding his line together.

Markstrom - he is a top end NHL goalie right now and the only reason the team is presently competitive. Goal tending falls off only lightly and we are in enormous trouble. Made some real good stops in this game.

Edler - has to be huge deep in his end to make up for all the turnovers and missed assignments

Tanev - not perfect but instrumental in sorting things out in his end

Myers - Moved people off the puck and boxed out well around the net. Continues to show the speed to support the play

Bad

Stecher - having a miserable start to the season. Must get his legs moving and start jumping on the play. Right now just reacting to the play and often not doing that very well. Taken off the puck far too much. Would replace him with Biega if Biega was still around

Levio - in a position to take advantage of opportunities and can't. Just butchers the play. When the opposition begins moving the puck around quickly in his end he is just lost and flailing.

Sutter - not moving his feet and making big defensive gaffes. Might have been hurt by that shot b/c in the late going he was very bad.

Virtanen - when do you give up? He is caught so out of position in his end so often and can't get the puck out when the chance comes. Has so little anticipation. Makes one or two zero impact rushes a game and is otherwise useless.

Gaudette - not ready to play center in the NHL. Probably better off in Utica.

Others

Boeser - little better and got to net some but his skating must improve. Trying to stick handle in traffic while moving so slowly isn't going to work.

Horvat - another so-so effort. Had chances and did nothing with them. Still looks sluggish and is not off to a good start.

Pettersson - might easily call him bad. Way too much going down and getting up. Nice shoot out goal but 5 on 5 he was easily pushed out of the lay and wasn't much of a threat at all.

Schaller - one of his better games. Tailed off in the third but did a decent job, overall, of forechecking and moving the play thru the neutral zone.

Hughes - even though you think there will be times when he hurts you defensively not really the case so far. Not as good offensively but some of that could be blamed on others who could do nothing with the offense he was providing.

Ferland - thought he made some nice little passes but, up to this point, just not making himself a factor.

Funny but right now it is the new players that are carrying much of the load while the so called offensive leaders struggle.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Felt really frustrated with Leivo and Ferland all game -- Leivo in particular. He's really hurting that line right now. Bo and Pearson look so good, but whenever they give the puck to Leivo the play dies instantly.

He's like the Anti-Kassian, who has absolutely NO brain for the game, can't seem to himself into position before the puck comes to him, but has deceptively sweet hands and good finish. Leivo is the opposite. Always manages to be at the right place at the right time, sees the play developing and thinks the game at the right speed -- and has hands of stone. I swear if you could combine them, mad-scientist-style in a lab, you'd have another Sidney Crosby -- or a BCHL player, if it only combined their worst traits instead of their best. haha

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
They played 1 game in 8 days since their opener. Not sure I get all the fatigue excuses especially this early in the year.

Ok. You dont believe jet lag plays a factor here and I do. Fair enough.

Where we cant disagree on is the shot and scoring chance numbers. Those are just stats.

If Markström doesnt play like a top5 goalie we dont get a single point tonight.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Well, I’m a happy camper tonight - good guys got the win, even if they tried to give it away in the third. First and second were solid, if uneven, but that third period was atrocious.

Pearson should have been one of the three stars. Just a very complete game from him, and that’s not even touching the goal and shootout goal. His line with Horvat and Leivo definitely generated the most offensive opportunities tonight - the Flyers team defense was extremely stifling.

On the blueline, thought Myers had a strong game, as did Edler. Tanev had some nice plays and some bad ones, while Hughes was quiet but steady. Stecher and Benn had some tough shifts.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Bottom 6 mishmash was there. Glad Gaudette got a shot at C over Sutter. He and Virtanen is kind of redundant on the same line; two shoot-first, north/south wingers who don't use their linemates aren't going to get a lot done most nights. Like tonight. Ferland and Virtanen both had some moments of physical play. Beagle existed. Meh.

Edler - Myers: cracks showing in Myers' play. Can't skate backwards nearly as well as you'd hope for a guy they threw all this money at. Suspect plays a few times behind his own net; sometimes holds the puck too long and isn't nearly as physical as you'd expect for a guy his size. Nobody has at any point brought these things up during the summer.

Benn - Stecher: Still the weakest pair. Benn not being as stable as sold, Stecher getting ground down. I've been rooting for him ever since he set foot here, but I just don't think he's good enough to really compensate for his lack of size and strength.
I actually kind of like how Gaudette and Virtanen play together. They both got some bite to their game, but Jake is mega-strong while Gaudette has more playmaking ability and skill. The 4th line played decent, you gotta give credit to Schaller and Beagle, they had more possession in the offensive zone than usual and Schaller had a big block shot. I especially liked it when Schaller supported the defence for break-outs in the 1st and 2nd, if he does that they usually have successful zone exits.

Myers wasn't that bad. He's not flawless, but he broke up a potential breakaway between him and Edler. He broke up a cross-ice bad that looked labeled if he didn't interrupt the pass. Sometimes he needs to just slap the puck instead of handling it deep in the d-zone, like Edler. Edler gels well with Myers, he's playing like he did with Ehrhoff.

We need to solve the 3rd pairing. They are often out there when we are hemmed in our own zone and it's a sign that Biega might have been a better option than Stecher. Benn isn't awful, but he's a step too slow most of the time and that doesn't help the break-out. His physicality is welcoming and I would rather upgrade on the 5'10 defenceman.

I don't want to say Ferland is in a rough spot because he had time with the top line, but he displays some skill, some physicality. Maybe he can swap roles with Leivo, he could mesh well with Bo like Pearson has.

Reactions: mossey3535

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
From the opening game of the season, this Canucks blueline is seriously vulnerable to a tough forecheck. Teams are looking at the film, and must see it. I don't know if the d-men are too slow to move it; if the wingers are losing battles along the wall; or what it is. But clearly they've got to sort it out.

Let's face it. Without a bunch of goalposts and some 10 bell saves from Markstrom, this game is over in the first half of the third period. And Green has got to something about that Stecher-Benn Combo. They're just getting buried in terms of zone possession.

But I guess the breaks even out in the end.....they probably deserved a better fate in Edmonton, and probably deserved the 'L' tonight, but the hockey Gods smiled on them for a change.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
According to naturalstattrick the scoring chances were even at 18 a piece, 8-3 Canucks in the first, 6-7 Flyers in the second, and 4-8 Flyers in the third. High danger scoring chances were in the Canucks favour 6-5. 3-1 Canucks in the first, 2-2 in the second and 1-2 Flyers in the third

Philadelphia Flyers @ Vancouver Canucks, 2019-10-12

I don’t have too much confidence in Green for tactics and systems, which I suppose isn’t totally surprising for someone who wasn’t a coach for that long before he got his shot in the NHL. His man management seems pretty good though. I also am not sure what to think about Baumgartner, but I’ve never been comfortable having two relative newbies in the two most important coaching roles. I was willing to give them a chance for a couple of years, but it’s coming time for them to produce a competent team. last year their play in the defensive and neutral zones was pretty awful, and I think it’s pretty damming of their coaching and systems that Gudbranson could look so awful here but immediately look much better in Pittsburgh.

Mostly I actually thought the Canucks played well against what I think will be a pretty good Flyers team. They kept a lot of the shots to the outside and cleaned up the garbage, but the first 15mins of the 3rd was not great. and sometimes they completely breakdown very suddenly and give up a Very high danger chance. Some of that is busted assignments but I don’t think their system is very forgiving if someone makes a mistake with very little support. And frankly you have to expect that even NHLers are going to make mistakes, especially when they’re playing well, NHLers.

Pearson Hughes and Myers have performed quite a bit above expectations for me.

Gaudette, Sutter and Ferland has nearly 100% offensive zone starts with no defensive zone starts and got absolutely caved in. That can’t happen if you expect to win more often than not.

Marky is looking like a top 10 goalie. But I’m a bit worried that they may overplay him and Demko will struggle with very inconsistent playing time.

Virtanen I thought looked useful for most of the game, put in some good shifts in the offensive zone bit missed his guy a couple of times on defence.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Ain't so undefeated now are you Flyers?

Leivo needs to be let out of the top six role. I'd love to see Gaudette (or dare I say Virtanen) in that top six role with Horvat and Pearson.

Leivo hasn't been awful but it's just...not fun watching him out there. Say what you will about Goldobin and Baertschi and the rest but they could finish on occasion. Here it just seems like a fish out of water.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
What I find strange is, why is no one trying to feed Pettersson for his one timer when he's in position? Not even on the PP. He needs some help to get going and nobody is helping him out right now. Regarding the PP, they need to get some rotation and movement in there. They're way too static out there. At the very least they need to change their angles and depth in their own position.

Mr Plow

Apr 15, 2016
I didn't watch the whole game but I'm surprised that Virtanen is getting ripped a bit. I thought he was very strong in the parts that I watched (mostly the second period).

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Caldercanucks

Sep 12, 2019
Very disjointed effort. Got very good goal tending some bounces and 2 undeserved points. So-called offensive players have got to be. Lot better.

Good

Pearson - MVP at the moment. Best at just about every facet of the game.

Miller - another solid effort. The one thing holding his line together.

Markstrom - he is a top end NHL goalie right now and the only reason the team is presently competitive. Goal tending falls off only lightly and we are in enormous trouble. Made some real good stops in this game.

Edler - has to be huge deep in his end to make up for all the turnovers and missed assignments

Tanev - not perfect but instrumental in sorting things out in his end

Myers - Moved people off the puck and boxed out well around the net. Continues to show the speed to support the play

Bad

Stecher - having a miserable start to the season. Must get his legs moving and start jumping on the play. Right now just reacting to the play and often not doing that very well. Taken off the puck far too much. Would replace him with Biega if Biega was still around

Levio - in a position to take advantage of opportunities and can't. Just butchers the play. When the opposition begins moving the puck around quickly in his end he is just lost and flailing.

Sutter - not moving his feet and making big defensive gaffes. Might have been hurt by that shot b/c in the late going he was very bad.

Virtanen - when do you give up? He is caught so out of position in his end so often and can't get the puck out when the chance comes. Has so little anticipation. Makes one or two zero impact rushes a game and is otherwise useless.

Gaudette - not ready to play center in the NHL. Probably better off in Utica.

Others

Boeser - little better and got to net some but his skating must improve. Trying to stick handle in traffic while moving so slowly isn't going to work.

Horvat - another so-so effort. Had chances and did nothing with them. Still looks sluggish and is not off to a good start.

Pettersson - might easily call him bad. Way too much going down and getting up. Nice shoot out goal but 5 on 5 he was easily pushed out of the lay and wasn't much of a threat at all.

Schaller - one of his better games. Tailed off in the third but did a decent job, overall, of forechecking and moving the play thru the neutral zone.

Hughes - even though you think there will be times when he hurts you defensively not really the case so far. Not as good offensively but some of that could be blamed on others who could do nothing with the offense he was providing.

Ferland - thought he made some nice little passes but, up to this point, just not making himself a factor.

Funny but right now it is the new players that are carrying much of the load while the so called offensive leaders struggle.
Hughes has 3 points in 4 as a rookie, how is that how many points did you expect?

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
I give everyone until game 10 before I start ragging on them. The league has the book on Petey now. He will learn to adapt.

agree. the entire league saw what happened last year when he dominated. scoring left and right especially on the powerplay. now teams are keying him on and petey doesnt have that space anymore. boeser will need to step it up now so the pressure is off petey for a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad