Post-Game Talk: GM 4: Canucks def. Flyers - 3-2 in an SO (Pearson, Boeser)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
A tight checking game where the third period was really entertaining. Both goalies played well and could really notice the upgrades on forward depth this game.

Good:
Markstrom, great timely saves that kept us in it. Loved the pad stack on the final penalty shot :)
Pearson, was in the middle of the play almost every shift. Unlucky not to have a multiple point night.
Myers, when he has time to get set in the defensive zone, he's a tank out there - an element that's been missing on our blue line for a long time.

Not so good:
Ferland, a step behind the play, results in many lost battles. That said, smart little passes when he had possession. Still injured?
Stecher, slow processing the play; collapsing too early and ceding the blueline regularly as a result

Others:
Petterson, he's getting close to figuring it out. Noticeably stronger than last year, but not enough to power his way past checks. Saw him have success when he plays a bit more of a lateral game with short passes to open up some space. That will require some patience on his part.
Horvat, always has been a slow starter, should hit a hot streak in November if history is any indicator.
OT: Niskanen was a difference maker out there. Game is subtle but very smart. Stecher should take notes.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Caved in for half the game is complete hyberbole, lol. They got outplayed for first 10 minutes of the third, rest of the game was fairly even. Plus they were leading in the game, what did you call it again when the Canucks "caved in" Calgary in the third? Score effect?

Bingo.

The Canucks were clearly outplaying the Flyers before score effects kicked in in the 3rd period. It was a carbon copy of the Flames game, this time with Vancouver sitting back in a prevent defense. It took a blown penalty call late to get the Flyers a point and erase the Canucks regulation time victory.

The biggest takeaway this season is the new additions to the team. Pearson, Myers, Hughes and Miller have done a lot of the heavy lifting to carry the guys that are under performing. This improved depth is very noticeable and the team should be better because of it. These guys absolutely do 'move the needle'.

Time for the big 3 to get going. Won't get very far in this league if you're best players aren't performing.

Good to see Markstrom and Ian Clark carry over their work from last season. Marky was a bit of a question mark heading into the season, and he's answered a lot of those questions. Playoff teams virtually always get good to great goaltending - and it appears the Canucks could be in that boat this season. Bodes well for a potential playoff appearance.

Reactions: Nomobo and sting101

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Could Goblin or MacEwen be any worse on Bo's wing than Leivo?

Or even Pearson-Horvat-Virtanen. I think Jake has played pretty well. Set up Horvat early in the game for that one timer but Horvat just couldn’t get all of it. I think our top 6 needs more speed too.

OR call up Baertschi and do Pearson-Horvat-Baertschi

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Feeling pretty good about the team right now. They’re at .500 without EP, Horvat, and Boeser playing at a high level yet.
The new guys along with Markstrom and Edler have really been carrying the team.
Once the young stars get going the team should be in great shape.

Reactions: Numba9 and Love

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Comment on last night - Everett Silvertips fans have to be some of the most hardcore, friendly folks I’ve ever seen. A large contingent of them came to the draft to cheer on their players getting drafted (and went absolutely ape shit whenever they did), and a large contingent was there last night to cheer on former Silvertip Carter Hart. Met some Tips fans who I’d previously met at the draft and they were friendly as all get out an excited to have the Canucks/Seattle rivalry starting up in the next few years.

Just impressed by them as a group.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
We had friends over.. the most crown royal I've drank in about 10 yrs. So the game was fuzzy.

So the game starts... I liked the way we were playing. Then we score and we cheer. Then they tied it but didn't care cuz pizza arrived.
We checked in on the Yankee game came back and we were winning 2-1.. right on! Well played boys!
Yada yada... OT starts.. that was awesome. The the SO... Victory!.
much fun was had.

Perfect game boys!

On to the next one...

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Baertschi back on Bo’s wing would be a good fit. I don’t think Leivo has been all that bad - he’s fumbled some opportunities and gets exposed defensively - but he does good spade work along the boards and has chipped in offensively so far. I think he’s definitely a guy who needs to keep looking over his shoulder, though - if he has a string of quiet (or worse) games, he could take a seat.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Gotta echo what you guys are saying ^^^ The team was sitting back keeping things in front and outside. Cannot let the tempo and pace be set for sustained portions like the start of the 3rd though

Our top scorers have been mediocre at best. . Definitely need to have more guys playing in better form though in the top6. Pettersson Horvat and Boeser gotta find ways to be more dangerous 5v5. Not a good start for any of them

New Guys - You can see Ferland getting incrementally better as he gets into shape from the lost pre season and Jordie Benn has asserted himself the best i have seen in the last couple. Myers Pearson and Miller have been carrying this team through the early parts of this season. Pearson has been in particular a really pleasant suprise. Hughes is a game changing talent but it will be interesting to see how he adjusts to tighter games like last night and the length of the schedule coming from College. Teams are also gonna start going out of their ways to finish checks on him.

Incumbants - Tanev has been much better the last couple games which is huge, Markstrom really has become a very good NHL starter which puts us in the mix almost every game from the net. Edlers skating is worrysome we'll see how it goes but it is imperitive that Hughes and Benn be able to lighten his load over the long haul. Would like to see Leivo and Virtanen be alternated through Horvats line. Neither have been great but Jakes speed could create a bit more as long as he's not being an idiot with his puck management. Not a fan of Schaller at all but he has been reliable and keeping up the last couple games. Still believe both Roussel and Motte would be better when healthy. We need to have more speed in the lineup.

The group is still gelling and needs to be a lot crisper with the transition out of the zone under tight pressure. Both Calgary and the Flyers badly exposed this weakness at this time. Would think it will improve as familiarity grows and some players who are having slow starts get rolling

Last edited:

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Ranking the new guys so far:
1. Miller
He’s been the complete package. Just hustles all over the place. Still not sold on the trade but I’m really sold on the player.
2. Myers
Probably the most pleasant surprise so far. Love how he gets his shots on net and plays physical. Edler is probably our most under appreciated player as he makes lots of people look great.
3. Ferland
Good hustle and hitting. Not doing much offensively yet. Hopefully it’s just getting back up to speed.
4. Benn
He and Stecher struggling a bit early. Have to see if that improves.
I didn’t rank Hughes yet but it looks like he and Tanev may really complement each other. Hughes as the stay at home guy and Tanev as our offensive driver. Or did I get that backwards? ;)

On another note how cool was it to see Bieksa back in town doing a post game interview.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Where can I see shots per period stat? You'd think it would be easy to find.. NHL.com doesn't even have that unless I'm missing something

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Well, I’m a happy camper tonight - good guys got the win, even if they tried to give it away in the third. First and second were solid, if uneven, but that third period was atrocious.

Pearson should have been one of the three stars. Just a very complete game from him, and that’s not even touching the goal and shootout goal. His line with Horvat and Leivo definitely generated the most offensive opportunities tonight - the Flyers team defense was extremely stifling.

On the blueline, thought Myers had a strong game, as did Edler. Tanev had some nice plays and some bad ones, while Hughes was quiet but steady. Stecher and Benn had some tough shifts.
Yes Pearson was easily the best forward. Nice start and finish to last year.

Wanted to touch on the highlighted. The additions of Braun and Niskanen plus the growth in Provorov and Sanheim has elevated the Flyer defense to collectively one of the better ones in the NHL. Used to be the Flyers could score but couldn't defend or have reliable goaltending. Not anymore. Also having AV and Yeo and Therrien as assistants should make them a very well coached and disciplined squad which was evident last night. They will be very good this year if healthy. Front office of the Flyers has made some very astute hires to oversee the club

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Baertschi back on Bo’s wing would be a good fit. I don’t think Leivo has been all that bad - he’s fumbled some opportunities and gets exposed defensively - but he does good spade work along the boards and has chipped in offensively so far. I think he’s definitely a guy who needs to keep looking over his shoulder, though - if he has a string of quiet (or worse) games, he could take a seat.

yep, he's grinding and also getting good scoring chances that others are not. i will be patient with him fumbling them if he can continue to make them happen.

Dr Good Vibes

Jan 18, 2010
Canucks had some real ups and downs last night.

Team defence was actually pretty good. Markstrom played great. Unfortunately, EP and Boeser both look really off their games. Quinn Hughes is an animal. Tanev is an OFD. Feels like anything could happen with this team. What are they? I’m not sure they even know yet.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Ok. You dont believe jet lag plays a factor here and I do. Fair enough.

Yes. From experience of similar travel timelines there is little doubt they aren’t 10p%. They must be feeling the effects of jet lag. It was a pretty silly thing for the league to do to be honest. Send them overseas, come back for a game and then send them cross continent.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Think the team is still finding its identity, but liked most of their game last night. Fell asleep for the beginning of the third, but did even the play out and came away with the 2 points.

Marky is playing very good. With that said, don't think he had to make a save on a rebound all night. Of course part of that is because of how well Marky is playing, swallowing up pucks or directing them into the corners. Made some good saves, but really only that cross crease save was outstanding, and even it was a play a good goalie would have anticipated.

Defenceman is better as a unit. Keeping things to the outside, letting Markstrom see most of the shots, not letting the puck go cross ice often, and clearing rebounds. Giving up some zone time, but mostly outside the danger areas.

Thought Horvat's line was clearly the best forward group. Lots of possession below the faceoff dots, and a couple 2 on 1s. Leivo is not playing bad, winning some puck battles and contributing to possession, just not able to get his shot going. Both also has another level.

Think it's time to break up Petey and Boeser for a bit. They both seem to want to defer to each other, or go for the highlight reel. Everytime they try to go cross ice to each other and it's intercepted or tipped, Geeen needs to give them a gasser.

Miller has been great. Even in Boeser's goal, JT didn't get a point, but it doesn't happen without him winning the puck in the corner and getting it back to Tanev.

I'd like to see Pearson-Horvat-Boeser and see what happens. As long as Pearson doesn't stop shooting cuz he feels the need to get the puck to Brock.

Not sure who I put with Petterson and Miller. Give auditions to Leivo, Ferland and Virtanen and see if anything clicks. Go with Petey and Brock after a PK, but get both of them looking for their own offense first rather than trying to set each other up.

And Hughes has been a pleasant surprise. We all knew about his skating, passing and vision. But his decision making has been better than I expected. I thought he'd need some time to figure out what works vs NHLers and this would result in some bad turnovers. But he's taking the plays that are there, and making safe plays when they are the right play.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Flyers are twice the team, since I saw them last season...Players that impressed me this game Pearson,Hughes (he seems to get better with every single game,doesnt he..?)..Markstrom,and Virtanen (didnt have many scoring opportunities ,but really utilized his size and speed).

Also,Boeser looks like he's starting to come around.

Thought that the 3rd line (Ferland,Gaudette,Sutter) had a quiet game..Sutter looked like he was labouring a bit.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Gotta echo what you guys are saying ^^^ The team was sitting back keeping things in front and outside. Cannot let the tempo and pace be set for sustained portions like the start of the 3rd though

Our top scorers have been mediocre at best. . Definitely need to have more guys playing in better form though in the top6. Pettersson Horvat and Boeser gotta find ways to be more dangerous 5v5. Not a good start for any of them

New Guys - You can see Ferland getting incrementally better as he gets into shape from the lost pre season and Jordie Benn has asserted himself the best i have seen in the last couple. Myers Pearson and Miller have been carrying this team through the early parts of this season. Pearson has been in particular a really pleasant suprise. Hughes is a game changing talent but it will be interesting to see how he adjusts to tighter games like last night and the length of the schedule coming from College. Teams are also gonna start going out of their ways to finish checks on him.

Incumbants - Tanev has been much better the last couple games which is huge, Markstrom really has become a very good NHL starter which puts us in the mix almost every game from the net. Edlers skating is worrysome we'll see how it goes but it is imperitive that Hughes and Benn be able to lighten his load over the long haul. Would like to see Leivo and Virtanen be alternated through Horvats line. Neither have been great but Jakes speed could create a bit more as long as he's not being an idiot with his puck management. Not a fan of Schaller at all but he has been reliable and keeping up the last couple games. Still believe both Roussel and Motte would be better when healthy. We need to have more speed in the lineup.

The group is still gelling and needs to be a lot crisper with the transition out of the zone under tight pressure. Both Calgary and the Flyers badly exposed this weakness at this time. Would think it will improve as familiarity grows and some players who are having slow starts get rolling
Their transition game last night was heads and shoulders better than their game against LA.

With Loui out of the line up, (almost everyone is playing like real hockey players.

Not used to that.

Last edited:

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Ranking the new guys so far:
1. Miller
He’s been the complete package. Just hustles all over the place. Still not sold on the trade but I’m really sold on the player.
2. Myers
Probably the most pleasant surprise so far. Love how he gets his shots on net and plays physical. Edler is probably our most under appreciated player as he makes lots of people look great.
3. Ferland
Good hustle and hitting. Not doing much offensively yet. Hopefully it’s just getting back up to speed.
4. Benn
He and Stecher struggling a bit early. Have to see if that improves.
I didn’t rank Hughes yet but it looks like he and Tanev may really complement each other. Hughes as the stay at home guy and Tanev as our offensive driver. Or did I get that backwards? ;)

On another note how cool was it to see Bieksa back in town doing a post game interview.

You can add Pearson to this list as well. He has been solid.

PecaFan

Nov 16, 2002
Ottawa (Go 'Nucks)
Where can I see shots per period stat? You'd think it would be easy to find.. NHL.com doesn't even have that unless I'm missing something

During the game, the NHL gives you links to this: Game Summary
and this: Event Summary

Then for some silly reason they disappear, and you have to have to have a bookmark, and change the game number manually at the end (game 0073 right now).

carrotshirt

Jan 1, 2009
Think we can sustain our Too-many-men/game average over the season? 82 such penalties would be a record, I’m sure.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Feeling pretty good about the team right now. They’re at .500 without EP, Horvat, and Boeser playing at a high level yet.
The new guys along with Markstrom and Edler have really been carrying the team.
Once the young stars get going the team should be in great shape.

Yep and we’re 2-0 with Miller on the top line and Gaudette on the roster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->