Post-Game Talk: GM 4: Canucks def. Flyers - 3-2 in an SO (Pearson, Boeser)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
I don’t have too much confidence in Green for tactics and systems, which I suppose isn’t totally surprising for someone who wasn’t a coach for that long before he got his shot in the NHL. His man management seems pretty good though. I also am not sure what to think about Baumgartner, but I’ve never been comfortable having two relative newbies in the two most important coaching roles. I was willing to give them a chance for a couple of years, but it’s coming time for them to produce a competent team. last year their play in the defensive and neutral zones was pretty awful, and I think it’s pretty damming of their coaching and systems that Gudbranson could look so awful here but immediately look much better in Pittsburgh.

Mostly I actually thought the Canucks played well against what I think will be a pretty good Flyers team. They kept a lot of the shots to the outside and cleaned up the garbage, but the first 15mins of the 3rd was not great. and sometimes they completely breakdown very suddenly and give up a Very high danger chance. Some of that is busted assignments but I don’t think their system is very forgiving if someone makes a mistake with very little support. And frankly you have to expect that even NHLers are going to make mistakes, especially when they’re playing well, NHLers.

Marky is looking like a top 10 goalie. But I’m a bit worried that they may overplay him and Demko will struggle with very inconsistent playing time.

We're not talking about this tendency to suddenly surrender high danger chances enough. It's been happening for greens entire tenure.

Green's goalie management wasn't that great with two proven NHL guys, I'm also concerned about managing marks workload

Nov 1, 2011
Comment on last night - Everett Silvertips fans have to be some of the most hardcore, friendly folks I’ve ever seen. A large contingent of them came to the draft to cheer on their players getting drafted (and went absolutely ape **** whenever they did), and a large contingent was there last night to cheer on former Silvertip Carter Hart. Met some Tips fans who I’d previously met at the draft and they were friendly as all get out an excited to have the Canucks/Seattle rivalry starting up in the next few years.

Just impressed by them as a group.

Go see a Giants game vs the Tips down there. The atmosphere is electric (great as long as you can deal with cow bells).

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
That first goal on Markstrom was weak imo. He was good otherwise though. Not a great effort by the team but it's a good sign when you can have your top players not playing at their best, and still pull out a win. Markstrom can steal games, we're bigger and harder to play against, Hughes is a big upgrade to the D, and eventually guys like Bo and Petey will get going.

At this point I'm still sticking to my - make the playoffs and get brutally swept in the first round- prediction.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Hmmmmmm Ferland sucks when not on the top line, (even then is just ok) what a shocker. If only that could've been predicted beforehand, with like the previous 2 seasons worth of data..

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Hmmmmmm Ferland sucks when not on the top line, (even then is just ok) what a shocker. If only that could've been predicted beforehand, with like the previous 2 seasons worth of data..

Did you think the 'data' showed Ferland sucked during the previous 2 seasons? You might want to find a new data guy.

Ferland has had a slow start coming off of illness, but you can start to see the timing and legs come back. Has been getting marginally better each game. He's a notoriously strong starter and it's unfortunate he had the pre-season setback.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad