Pre-Game Talk: GM 16: Pavel Bure Night - Canucks vs. Leafs - Nov 2 - 4:00PM PST - CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Leaf fan coming in peace, Leaf fans won't boo. Even when we play Montreal and they honour one of their greats nobody boos. Now when the game starts thats a whole new story but when honouring a former player we never boo. You guys may hate our guts but we're not disrespectful to a team's past. The chances of us actually clapping and joining in the standing ovation are more likely than anyone booing. Bure was a hell of a player and was a great Canuck player what is there to boo about?

SashaSemin28

My Krasnaya Mashina
Mar 11, 2013
Darwen, England.
Bure night really should have been Vancouver/Florida, it's also the 10th home game for Vancouver of the season which would have been a nice addon, hope you guys kill Toronto tomorrow :)

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
Leaf fan coming in peace, Leaf fans won't boo. Even when we play Montreal and they honour one of their greats nobody boos. Now when the game starts thats a whole new story but when honouring a former player we never boo. You guys may hate our guts but we're not disrespectful to a team's past. The chances of us actually clapping and joining in the standing ovation are more likely than anyone booing. Bure was a hell of a player and was a great Canuck player what is there to boo about?

I've seen Leaf fans at Sens games. They leave the class at home. They go to boo the Sens, cheering the Leafs is a mere afterthought. They won't be retiring Alfie's jersey at a Sens vs Leafs game, not a chance.

But this is in Vancouver, nowhere near Ontario, and I expect most of the fans will enjoy Bure's moment and then will cheer the Leafs during the game. Booing will be a mere afterthought.

I hope we all enjoy it right up until the Canucks win.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I've seen Leaf fans at Sens games. They leave the class at home. They go to boo the Sens, cheering the Leafs is a mere afterthought. They won't be retiring Alfie's jersey at a Sens vs Leafs game, not a chance.

But this is in Vancouver, nowhere near Ontario, and I expect most of the fans will enjoy Bure's moment and then will cheer the Leafs during the game. Booing will be a mere afterthought.

I hope we all enjoy it right up until the Canucks win.

You can't compare Alfie and Bure. Alfredsson is absolutely hated here, I won't defend Alfie or the Sens, booing Alfie in his own building was hilarious I love my fellow Leaf fans for booing the crap out of him, I can't stand him. You guys may hate our guts but the hatred that we have for the Sens is at a level that will never be matched with the Canucks..just won't happen. Bure was a hell of a player and did great things for you guys. Anyway good luck Saturday should be a great game.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Will be a good game, and I dont understand some of our fanbase perception that the leafs are still an awful team. The pregame thread against the oilers a few weeks back had people more concerned then this one.

I hope we win, but the leafs can beat us, lets not be delusional were that good, maybe if we were playing buffalo i would feel this was a sure win. I dont like how they play but they do have more then enough fire power and are getting good enough goal tending. If bolland somehow manages to shut down the sedins it could be a long night for us.

And hopefully raymond does not score for the impending meltdown and overreaction that will ensue.

The last time I felt our fan base was to over confident was heading into playoffs against the sharks, and I hope this game does not take a similar tone and I hope we win.

Last edited:

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
Even when we play Montreal and they honour one of their greats nobody boos.

You can't compare Alfie and Bure. Alfredsson is absolutely hated here, I won't defend Alfie or the Sens, booing Alfie in his own building was hilarious I love my fellow Leaf fans for booing the crap out of him, I can't stand him. You guys may hate our guts but the hatred that we have for the Sens is at a level that will never be matched with the Canucks..just won't happen. Bure was a hell of a player and did great things for you guys. Anyway good luck Saturday should be a great game.

I've never understood the level of vitriol reserved for Alfredsson, you guys hate him more than the Habs! The HABS!!! Alfie's a great hockey player, a good sport, a gentleman and an outstanding citizen. I find it hard to fathom how he'd leapfrog the years of history between original 6 teams to become the biggest target of Leaf fans' ire. Oh, Toronto... :shakehead

RTN

Be Kind, Rewind
Aug 28, 2008
Don't like 4pm starts for home games. Late start for Eastern teams is part of our home ice advantage. Now our guys have to change their pre game schedules.

Also don't get why they'd make this game Bure's night. When the Leaves visit its always a fun atmosphere. Seems like a strange choice to me, but there's probably behind the scene reasons I don't know about. Woulda thought either Dallas, Calgary or I guess Florida would have been more relevant choices.

On the ice, I wonder if its time to send Archibald down and give someone else a look. Jensen might be a possibility after he's played a couple of games, but I'd like to see Gillis and Torts get a look at a few guys. Welsh on the other hand, imo has earned a spot in the top 12 until either we get completely healthy, or his play begins to slip.

A lot of people thought the Florida game would be Bure's night, so the season ticket holders bought up the extra tickets before they were released to the general public. Essentially, the owners got a free sell out against a weak team and were able to move it to another Saturday. Not sure why they choose Toronto specifically, maybe for more exposure nationally?

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
What a shame the ownership drove Bure out of town. What an electrifying, exciting player. I hope we will see someone like that wearing Canuck colours again.

It sucks that the start is early for the people in Vancouver, but as a guy who is forced to live in NB with a small kid, it is awesome he will get to see the cerimony. I watched the double overtime Calgary game with him two days ago (didnt tell him how it ended either) and he literally jumped off the couch when Bure got that breakaway.

As for the game tomorrow, I see it being closer than I would like: a shootout finish. Could go either way. Maybe a skate to stick from Kassian for the winner?

bobbyflex

Feb 26, 2010
Toronto, ON
I've never understood the level of vitriol reserved for Alfredsson, you guys hate him more than the Habs! The HABS!!! Alfie's a great hockey player, a good sport, a gentleman and an outstanding citizen. I find it hard to fathom how he'd leapfrog the years of history between original 6 teams to become the biggest target of Leaf fans' ire. Oh, Toronto... :shakehead

if you dont understand then maybe you shouldn't comment on it :nod:

Chairman Maouth

Retired Staff
Apr 29, 2009
Comox Valley
If Torts is indeed the great motivator that he is alleged to be, the crap effort against the Wings shouldn't extend to this game. If it does I will be concerned.

J Canuck

Mar 19, 2013
the couch
if you dont understand then maybe you shouldn't comment on it :nod:

Alcohol? A pack of blue jerseys at your back? Mob mentality? Maybe I do understand.

Don't take me for a leaf hater though. I used to, kind of, but when they finally made the playoffs I was pretty happy for them and their fans. You guys were overdue for some playoff action.

StringerBell

Can we just put the GDT up on the main boards a day and a half early? I want to talk about Bure, not read Leafs fans talk about how much they hate Alfredsson :laugh:

I have a funny feeling this will be the most insufferable GDT of the year, win or lose.

The Missing Piece

What's Left?
Sep 19, 2012

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Can't believe Burrows' numbers against Toronto. 15 points in 10 games? Hopefully this game is just what the doctor ordered to get him going offensively.

Jtabo

Sep 16, 2010
Greater Toronto Area
Even as a leaf fan, Bure was my absolute favourite player growing up. He was simply a treat to watch. If I were to be at that game I'd be cheering the loudest. The only people who would boo Bure are the D and goalies he embarassed throughout his career.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

Is there really any evidence that Alfie is a "gentleman"?

He explicitly gave up during the playoffs last year and I don't get the sense anybody in the Sens dressing room was too sad to see him leave.

As for the "hate". It really only manifests itself as booing. And frankly, we only boo him because it is a fun thing to do.

On the topic of Bure and Saturday afternoon, I can't imagine why any Leaf fans would boo him. The man is a legend who all hockey fans remember fondly.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto

It has a lot to do with the playoff history. We haven't played the Habs in the playoffs since the 70's. The rivalry with Montreal is there and will always be there. But we HATE the Sens, we hate the Habs as well but we HATE Ottawa. Sorry I'm using caps to make the difference noticed lol. Alfredsson hitting Tucker from behind and not getting a penalty and then scoring the overtime winner in game 4 or 5 I believe in the playoffs back in 01 or 02 started it all. Also mocking Sundin with the whole stick incident didn't go over well. He's a clown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad