Pre-Game Talk: GM 16: Pavel Bure Night - Canucks vs. Leafs - Nov 2 - 4:00PM PST - CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
No problem. The one thing I'd love to see the Canucks announce tommorow, is that we will be able to see Bure and Linden play on the line for one more time if/when they schedule an alumni game during the Heritage Classic Festivities next year. It will be the 20th anniversary of the 1994 Stanley Cup Run, so they could and should, IMO, tie in a reunion of sorts during that week.

That would be great, and yes, the club should be working hard to make that happen.

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Luongo-Moustache-4-300x198.jpg

Lu has serious goalie swag. His helmets are always gorgeous.

daaaamn, thats sick

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
So much nostalgia that it's almost overkill for me. Right now I'm wearing my Bure '94 Stanley Cup jersey and playing NHL '94 on my SNES. I might have to watch Goldeneye later...

BB6

Feb 14, 2012
Canada
Lost some respect for Linden after hearing that news.

I think Linden has earned the benefit of the doubt, we don't know the whole story involving anything from now or then, if he's choosing not to come because he is busy or not, its Linden... he's allowed and doesn't have to answer to us, he gave us everything while playing for the Canucks, that's enough for me.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
So much nostalgia that it's almost overkill for me. Right now I'm wearing my Bure '94 Stanley Cup jersey and playing NHL '94 on my SNES. I might have to watch Goldeneye later...

Maybe play a game of goldeneye (n64 version obvs.)? :naughty:
I love that game.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC
Why isn't Linden going to be there? He probably lives a block away from the arena for God's sakes.

This is exactly what I'm wondering. Just didn't say anything because I didn't want to stir the pot. Makes no sense.

Really disappointing...

EDIT: Nevermind, just read all the responses on the matter. It's still odd that he wouldn't have cleared his schedule way in advance for this. I seem to remember him giving a video message at another ceremony too, whether it was Naslund's jersey retirement or whatever. Maybe I'm wrong. As Mr. Canucklehead said, it seems Trevor has totally distanced himself from hockey.

Hal 9000*

Anyone who was an actual grown-up in the 90's cannot be surprised that Linden declined. Vancouver wasn't big enough for both players and Linden was punted out of town over Bure. A short video of congrats from Linden will have to do (and people should be happy with that). Of course Smyl will be there, he is still connected with the team.

If they've scheduled only 20 minutes, I guess they'll say that's because of TV schedules…wink wink.

Chubros

Dec 9, 2011
I am not going but even if I were the fact I am a leaf fan doesn't mean I can't come and pay my respects to one of the most electrifying players to ever lace them up. He might have been a Canuck but he was a hell of a hockey player, any hockey fan regardless of team should recognize and respect that. This being said, Canucks fans have equal chance to buy tickets to this game. The Leafs are almost never in Vancouver so expecting people to give up that chance is a bit insane.

Not expecting, just encouraging. I know it's unrealistic, but want to point out that it's simply the right thing to do. It's a special night for Canucks fans but little more than a run of the mill visit for the Leafs. In fact, most Leafs fans probably don't quite get what Pavel meant to this city.

Wouldn't Leafs fans want the same on, say, Wendel Clark night? Make the good karma move. Scalp those tickets, Leafs fans. You'll make a profit and can buy yourself an extra couple of beers the next time the Leafs roll through town.

Kirk Mclean

Jan 30, 2013
Vancouver
Just win this game, and I don't care what happens the rest of the season. I absolutely hate the Leafs and everything about Toronto.

pinecone

Jun 30, 2013
Anyone who was an actual grown-up in the 90's cannot be surprised that Linden declined. Vancouver wasn't big enough for both players and Linden was punted out of town over Bure. A short video of congrats from Linden will have to do (and people should be happy with that). Of course Smyl will be there, he is still connected with the team.

If they've scheduled only 20 minutes, I guess they'll say that's because of TV schedules…wink wink.

Talk about revisionist history. Linden was punted out of town to make way for Messier and Keenan it had nothing to do with Bure. He was asked to give up the C to messier and they thought he might be sour about it so they got rid of him.

Hal 9000*

Talk about revisionist history. Linden was punted out of town to make way for Messier and Keenan it had nothing to do with Bure. He was asked to give up the C to messier and they thought he might be sour about it so they got rid of him.

They brought in Messier for Bure, they brought in Keenan to clean house - meaning Linden and anyone else in his camp. The entire culture of the Canucks was changed to showcase Bure as the superstar of the team - Linden obviously had to go.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I'm so stoked for this game. It's been a long time coming for Bure! Heard the ceremony will be around 20 minutes because of CBC which I guess is good so it won't drag on but I think Linden's and Nazzy's was double that and if there is one ceremony I wouldn't mind being longer it's Bures.

Hope we can win this one for him.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
They brought in Messier for Bure, they brought in Keenan to clean house - meaning Linden and anyone else in his camp. The entire culture of the Canucks was changed to showcase Bure as the superstar of the team - Linden obviously had to go.

Bure was the superstar of the team already. Linden was shunted aside for Messier, no one else. It's not like they put the C on Bure's jersey.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation

Actually, Linden was all smiles at first and gave up the C willingly to Messier. But Keenan and Linden absolutely despised each other, and it came to a head rather quickly. Bure always was the superstar of the team; anyone with eyes knew that. But they brought in Messier for Messier after Quinn and co. missed out of signing Gretzky, and Keenan came along, nipping at his heels. Gretzky wanted to come here to play with Bure, not Messier, but the folks in charge buggered that up.

FYI.

And also: please kill the Leafs. I'm not ready to lose to them yet.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Are you serious everyone knew Bure was the superstar of the team since November 1991...

Hal 9000*

Are you serious everyone knew Bure was the superstar of the team since November 1991...

Of course he was a superstar, I'm not saying he wasn't simply that there wasn't room for the both of them. At the time, although Bure was the human highlight reel, the team was still Linden's and the city loved Linden. Linden, as mentioned earlier tried to play ball after the Messier signing, but the dye was already cast.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
10 goals in honour of bure. It's the only way. Oh, one flying elbow as well. :handclap: jk jk.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Of course he was a superstar, I'm not saying he wasn't simply that there wasn't room for the both of them. At the time, although Bure was the human highlight reel, the team was still Linden's and the city loved Linden. Linden, as mentioned earlier tried to play ball after the Messier signing, but the dye was already cast.

Who is this messier person? I've never heard of him.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I think a decline in Linden's game lead to him getting dealt more than anything to be honest, not to mention the generous offer from NYI of McCabe and Bertuzzi. Trev was a shadow of his old self by he time 1998 was around.

Hal 9000*

I think a decline in Linden's game lead to him getting dealt more than anything to be honest, not to mention the generous offer from NYI of McCabe and Bertuzzi. Trev was a shadow of his old self by he time 1998 was around.

I think Messier and Keenan were brought in as a last ditch attempt to make Bure happy - but never did…and Linden was a goner before Keenan's plane ever landed in Vancouver

Whatever, if you guy's want be believe that Linden has a really really pressing schedule and just can't make it…go ahead and believe.

Betamax*

I think Messier and Keenan were brought in as a last ditch attempt to make Bure happy - but never did…and Linden was a goner before Keenan's plane ever landed in Vancouver

Whatever, if you guy's want be believe that Linden has a really really pressing schedule and just can't make it…go ahead and believe.

The original plan was to bring in Gretzky to make Bure "happy" but the reports or rumors were that the Canucks woke Gretzky in the middle of the night to get him to sign on the dotted line when they had a verbal agreement because they were afraid he was just using them as leverage and that ticked Gretzky off enough that he decided not to sign with the Canucks.

I think things would have been a lot different if Gretzky rather than Messier was brought here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad