Pre-Game Talk: GM 16: Pavel Bure Night - Canucks vs. Leafs - Nov 2 - 4:00PM PST - CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
leaf fan my whole life but by god is this one of my favourite jerseys of all time.
New van jersey is upsetting compared to this masterpiece.

Even the home ones were spectacular.

141.jpg

I have a soft spot for this one too.

496.jpg

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
They were wondering on 1040 today if Pavel was going to shed any tears.

Personally, I don't see it in him.

Also, I think when they lift his #10 to the rafters it will be with the current logo and colour scheme. Too bad if they do because he never wore those colours. Seems a little disingenuous to me.

He got pretty emotional when they announced they were retiring it at a game last season.

Tanevian*

From what I've read in the papers,I think they are scheduling for a 3:45PM fans be in their seats to a 4:25PM puck drop. I think there's a chance the puck drop will be delayed until 4:30PM or longer.

They should make it 3 hours long just to ******* the CBC and the start time.

Tanevian*

Leaf fan coming in peace, Leaf fans won't boo. Even when we play Montreal and they honour one of their greats nobody boos. Now when the game starts thats a whole new story but when honouring a former player we never boo. You guys may hate our guts but we're not disrespectful to a team's past. The chances of us actually clapping and joining in the standing ovation are more likely than anyone booing. Bure was a hell of a player and was a great Canuck player what is there to boo about?

I think the concern, which I assume is unwarranted, is a Go Leafs Go chant. Early start may curtail the number of drunk fans.

Betamax*

I think the concern, which I assume is unwarranted, is a Go Leafs Go chant. Early start may curtail the number of drunk fans.

One theory being floated around is that since Leafs tickets are highly sought after, many Canucks Season Ticket Holders put it up for resale on the secondary market (to help subsidize the overall costs of paying for the entire package) and by putting a special event like a number retirement ceremony, it will test their loyalty as a "fan" and perhaps dissuade them from selling their tickets for this special game.

I still think we'll see a strong "Leafs Nation" presence. It's been estimated to be about 1/3 in the Alberta Cities during their roadtrip ... if it's ~20% here, that would still be pretty good.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Why isn't Linden going to be there? He probably lives a block away from the arena for God's sakes.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Why isn't Linden going to be there? He probably lives a block away from the arena for God's sakes.

There was scuttlebutt back in the day that Linden and Bure weren't big fans of each other. Both players angrily denied it back then - I think Linden joked that he and Bure had talked about skating to center ice and having a big hug the next time one of them scored a goal. Could be that there's something to it.

OTOH, Linden has distanced himself pretty far from the hockey world since retiring. Seems quite content to keep it that way, too. But he's still shown up for Canucks for Kids Telethons, etc., so who knows.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
There was scuttlebutt back in the day that Linden and Bure weren't big fans of each other. Both players angrily denied it back then - I think Linden joked that he and Bure had talked about skating to center ice and having a big hug the next time one of them scored a goal. Could be that there's something to it.

OTOH, Linden has distanced himself pretty far from the hockey world since retiring. Seems quite content to keep it that way, too. But he's still shown up for Canucks for Kids Telethons, etc., so who knows.

Word is that Linden has an out of town commitment, but will appear in a video message.

Betamax*

I think this is an interesting side story.

I mean there are legitimate reasons why Linden would miss the event (outside of not getting along with Bure these days), i.e. "scheduling conflict" ... but if Linden does respect and approve of Bure's number being retired, I think they should have at least have him do a pre-taped video congratulating him like what Ken Griffey's Jr.'s son did when he couldn't make his number retirement ceremony by the Mariners due to his NCAA Football commitments and what Bertuzzi did when he couldn't physically attend Naslund's number retirement ceremony.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012

Thanks. Hopefully he has some sort of message via video (like Bertuzzi did w/Naslund).

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
I think this is an interesting side story.

I mean there are legitimate reasons why Linden would miss the event (outside of not getting along with Bure these days), i.e. "scheduling conflict" ... but if Linden does respect and approve of Bure's number being retired, I think they should have at least have him do a pre-taped video congratulating him like what Ken Griffey's Jr.'s son did when he couldn't make his number retirement ceremony by the Mariners due to his NCAA Football commitments and what Bertuzzi did when he couldn't physically attend Naslund's number retirement ceremony.

As stated above, Linden has a scheduling conflict but will appear in a video message. I don't have a source handy, but it's out there in the media and on twitter.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
4PM Start time? And it's in Vancouver?!

Just shows you how much the NHL plans its schedule around the Leafs and the Habs up in Canada.

We would NEVER get a 7PM PST start time in the East.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
4PM Start time? And it's in Vancouver?!

Just shows you how much the NHL plans its schedule around the Leafs and the Habs up in Canada.

We would NEVER get a 7PM PST start time in the East.

That would be 10pm there. They're supposed to fill a stadium for a game that ends at 12:30am?

Betamax*

As stated above, Linden has a scheduling conflict but will appear in a video message. I don't have a source handy, but it's out there in the media and on twitter.

Yeah, thanks for the confirmation. FYI, when I posted my reply, I didn't read your post ... there was ~3 minute gap between your post and when my post was posted.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
Yeah, thanks for the confirmation. FYI, when I posted my reply, I didn't read your post ... there was ~3 minute gap between your post and when my post was posted.

Oh, no worries. I didn't mean for my reply to come off snarky, which it sort of did. Sorry about that.

Betamax*

Oh, no worries. I didn't mean for my reply to come off snarky, which it sort of did. Sorry about that.

No problem. The one thing I'd love to see the Canucks announce tommorow, is that we will be able to see Bure and Linden play on the line for one more time if/when they schedule an alumni game during the Heritage Classic Festivities next year. It will be the 20th anniversary of the 1994 Stanley Cup Run, so they could and should, IMO, tie in a reunion of sorts during that week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->