Giroux is quite possibly the worst player in the NHL

Reaper1097

Jun 22, 2011
I don't know if I am overacting or not but I am starting to get really concerned with Claude's play. I watch or go to every game and what concerns me most is that he is having trouble making the basic plays (e.g. Passes are off, missing net or open teammates, failing to make the easy clear). At first I thought he was just pressing too much but I am not too sure anymore. Something is off and I hope it is just a funk.

I didn't think the loss of Jagr was that big of a deal but maybe it was. Giroux has no room to operate, especially on power play, he is just swarmed immediately every time he gets the puck and he hasn't been making the plays to counter attack the pursuit. maybe that I the biggest factor of Jagrs loss? he allowed giroux room to operate.

I guess my point is that giroux is gonna have trouble replicating last seasons performance until he has a winger that other teams Dmen have to respect (or fear). maybe correy Perry or bobby Ryan is the answer. Because without Jagr i don't think Simmonds, voracek, or even Hartnell compliment giroux good enough...

Brozgalov

May 11, 2010
Bucks County, PA
Flyers really need to utilize Jake more I think. Put him on the G line and have him hold the puck more on the PP. He has the same skills handling the puck as G plus he has the size. I think if they tell him to carry the puck, Giroux can adjust his game to get to the open areas more and his game will open up. Right now they are forcing Giroux the puck when hes already swarmed. The only times the PP looked dangerous recently is when Timonen gave Voracek the puck on the other side... he has 10x more room and can walk right into the middle for a shot. Do this for a while and G will be more open.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I saw an interview with Jim Lynum and Barkley and Barkley said that the true mark of a superstar comes in the year when teams really focus on you as the go to guy. After last year's phenomenal year I think now teams have really keyed on G especially since he lacks support. He's going to have to adjust even further if he wants to really establish himself as elite...so far he is getting frustrated. I'm pretty sure he'll break out of it but he does need some help.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
looks like they played with a combo of JVR/Powe/Zherdev/Nodl

From LeftWingLock:

CLAUDE GIROUX JEFF CARTER DARROLL POWE 5.32%
JAMES VAN RIEMSDYK JEFF CARTER CLAUDE GIROUX 4.23%
NIKOLAY ZHERDEV JEFF CARTER CLAUDE GIROUX 4.05%
CLAUDE GIROUX JEFF CARTER ANDREAS NODL 2.48%
CLAUDE GIROUX MIKE RICHARDS ANDREAS NODL 1.89%
JAMES VAN RIEMSDYK CLAUDE GIROUX NIKOLAY ZHERDEV 1.47%
SCOTT HARTNELL JEFF CARTER CLAUDE GIROUX 1.42%
NIKOLAY ZHERDEV DARROLL POWE CLAUDE GIROUX 0.78%
CLAUDE GIROUX JEFF CARTER MIKE RICHARDS 0.72%

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
when Hartnell comes back, lines should be

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Briere - Schenn
Read - Couturier - Knuble
Fedotenko - Talbot - McGinn/Rinaldo/Sestito

This team desperately needs a guy like Corey Perry though, and I'm leaning towards wanting to buyout Briere to make it happen. imagine this for next season;

Voracek - Giroux - Perry
Hartnell - Schenn - Read
Simmonds - Couturier - McGinn
Talbot - Laughton - Rinaldo/Sestito

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
From LeftWingLock:

CLAUDE GIROUX JEFF CARTER DARROLL POWE 5.32%
JAMES VAN RIEMSDYK JEFF CARTER CLAUDE GIROUX 4.23%
NIKOLAY ZHERDEV JEFF CARTER CLAUDE GIROUX 4.05%
CLAUDE GIROUX JEFF CARTER ANDREAS NODL 2.48%
CLAUDE GIROUX MIKE RICHARDS ANDREAS NODL 1.89%
JAMES VAN RIEMSDYK CLAUDE GIROUX NIKOLAY ZHERDEV 1.47%
SCOTT HARTNELL JEFF CARTER CLAUDE GIROUX 1.42%
NIKOLAY ZHERDEV DARROLL POWE CLAUDE GIROUX 0.78%
CLAUDE GIROUX JEFF CARTER MIKE RICHARDS 0.72%

Can't believe Powe and Nodl played so much with Giroux although I understand the checking role....

G needs a Leino type (at least when he was with the Flyers and complementing Briere)

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
FORWARDS
Jakub Voracek ($4.250m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Corey Perry ($7.800m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Simon Gagne ($2.000m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Scott Laughton ($1.138m) / Tye McGinn ($0.775m)

DEFENSEMEN
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Mark Streit ($3.500m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) /

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Al Montoya ($0.925m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
Buyout: Danny Briere ($0.000m)
Buyout: Chris Pronger ($0.000m)
------
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,389,167; BONUSES: $3,012,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,923,333

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Can't believe Powe and Nodl played so much with Giroux although I understand the checking role....

G needs a Leino type (at least when he was with the Flyers and complementing Briere)

I remember Powe and Nodl moving up and down the lineup all year.

Now that I look at that list I recall we expected JVR to make the line with Carter and Giroux beastly as hell...but that didn't pan out.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
If you look at his linemates from the last two years he has produced with just about anyone and everyone. He actually had more PPG last year when Jagr was out of the lineup, I think he misses Hartnell more, that and that in the last 3 games about 4 of his perfect passes have been fluffed.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
It's a typical slump: a combination of bad luck, losing linemates due to injury, not finding the right balance between shooting and passing which results in lack of confidence and not feeling comfortable out there.

A player of his calibre should be able to score with any linemates. It's not like Simmonds, Briere are scrubs either. G needs to continue working hard and just enjoy playing and the goals will come.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Giroux was most happiest playing with Jags and vice versa....no coincidence IMO as far a productivity.

Briere and Leino enjoyed playing together as well.....Leino quickly became irrelevent after he went for the benjamins so he could support his shoe addiction and Briere has been mediocre since Leino's departure...

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
It just doesn't make sense. It's not like we're seeing him do the same things but get frustrated, he's an entirely different player. Pucks are bouncing off him where they'd usually stick. Passes are getting blocked where they'd usually land perfectly. He's shooting even less than he did before. Where's our Giroux gone?!

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
It just doesn't make sense. It's not like we're seeing him do the same things but get frustrated, he's an entirely different player. Pucks are bouncing off him where they'd usually stick. Passes are getting blocked where they'd usually land perfectly. He's shooting even less than he did before. Where's our Giroux gone?!

Some shifts he's wearing #10 and other times he's wearing #24.

Honestly, both Giroux and Couturier so far look sluggish and not as quick.

It'll come back. Patience.

StandingCow

May 15, 2010
I wonder if Giroux's wrist surgery has to do with his slump... he lacks the "soft hands" right now.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey

Leino was a setup guy for Briere's sniping ability, as was Prospal for the short time he was here. Briere plays his best with a playmaker.

I remember Powe and Nodl moving up and down the lineup all year.

Now that I look at that list I recall we expected JVR to make the line with Carter and Giroux beastly as hell...but that didn't pan out.

I recall several games where JvR, Carter, and Zherdev were absolutely untouchable in the offensive zone with speed, size, and danglitis. Now that it's been brought up, I'm sure Giroux got plenty of shifts in there too.

kammy

Jun 29, 2007
I wonder if Giroux's wrist surgery has to do with his slump... he lacks the "soft hands" right now.

a3e95de559169ded01c6eeb8365ea5ea.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad