Giroux is quite possibly the worst player in the NHL

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
He's competent defensively and a decent faceoff guy now; he was neither of those things three years ago.

Last season elevated our expectations for Giroux exponentially... and if he's not putting up points, everyone thinks he looks like he's regressed. He has started the season slowly on the offensive end, but there are positives in his all-around game; the points will come.

Agreed. Plus he has ten points in sixteen games. It's not like it's an unthinkable slump for a guy who we expected to be around a point per game (anyone expecting 94 points again was silly).

PricePkPatch*

I thought habs fans were harsh on their players, then I came here and my eyes are now open. :amazed:

So would you guys be willing to trade Giroux for Travis Moen and a 7th round pick in 2014?

Don't be greedy; they still need centres.

Desharnais + Eller for Giroux and Couturier.

Seriously though, what is up with Giroux? Bad chemistry? He lost his driving instincts? He used to be quite the hardnosed centre, he now plays it safe on the perimeter.

Btw, you had really bad breaks yesterday. Both in missed shots and literal break of sticks.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Agreed. Plus he has ten points in sixteen games. It's not like it's an unthinkable slump for a guy who we expected to be around a point per game (anyone expecting 94 points again was silly).

I don't think it is silly at all to expect 94 points again for someone called "the best player in the world" by his coach at age 24.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
He has 3 goals in 16 games. You can't discuss what's wrong with the Flyers without discussing what a dreadful performance Giroux is putting up.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I think a lot of things factor into his play. He's never been THE guy, he came up while Richards, Carter and Gagne were the main focus, then Pronger, after the big trades Jagr was brought in. Even when Jagr fell off in the second half at least he was still here. The problems started when Lavi pointedly called him the greatest player in the world, a couple of games later Giroux got himself suspended and the season ended. Next, he was on the cover of NHL 13, then given the captaincy. I thought he was strong enough for all that although I didn't want him to be named captain. Maybe he's just not ready. He's also had the benefit of strong linemates but that's not the case this year.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think it is silly at all to expect 94 points again for someone called "the best player in the world" by his coach at age 24.

well thats nonsense. Giroux was never in the conversation for best player in the world. i personally see G as an 80 pt player give or take that plays all zone and now is great at faceoffs. nothing wrong with that at all. if he had the right line-mates like a Cory Perry or Bobby Ryan I could see him breaking 90 again easily but without i'm not too sure.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
well thats nonsense. Giroux was never in the conversation for best player in the world. i personally see G as an 80 pt player give or take that plays all zone and now is great at faceoffs. nothing wrong with that at all. if he had the right line-mates like a Cory Perry or Bobby Ryan I could see him breaking 90 again easily but without i'm not too sure.

So everyone should have expected G's peak as last season??? I have never read something more idiotic on these boards.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ

If whatever Laviolette said came true our team wouldn't be below .500 right now.

So everyone should have expected G's peak as last season???

I would expect that, yea. Why should I expect him to keep getting better?

How is it insane to expect a small, high-finesse forward to have his peak scoring year at 63 points at the age of 24? That sounds pretty normal as those types of forward go. He will mos tlikely never be a better athlete than he is now.

I have never read something more idiotic on these boards.

Yes you have. Don't be dramatic.

Last edited:

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
I would expect that, yea. Why should I expect him to keep getting better?
So would I. He overachieved last season, and as was mentioned he always had some other top caliber player playing with him on the line (Carter, Jagr). Now that that's not the case, I see him as a 70 to maybe 80 point scorer. Which is not bad at all.

AbsolutelyNot

Nov 8, 2012
PA
Being the Captain in hockey is probably one of the most, if not the most, overrated things in sports. OMG a star player is having a goal scoring slump? Not the first, wont be the last. He isnt even playing that bad. The assists are starting to come, not to mention his play in the defensive zone has been fine. Throw in the major improvement on faceoffs, everything will be fine. Those who question his leadership, I pray that you never have the opportunity to educate/coach any young hockey players because you clearly have no clue what youre watching.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I'll start worrying about Giroux when he shows he clearly doesn't give a crap.....like Mike Richards started exhibiting. Having said this..he needs to step it up and not psych himself out like he's doing. Hopefully, Hartnell coming back helps him out but G should be creating his own luck..that's what elite players are supposed to do.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
being the captain in hockey is probably one of the most, if not the most, overrated things in sports. Omg a star player is having a goal scoring slump? Not the first, wont be the last. He isnt even playing that bad. The assists are starting to come, not to mention his play in the defensive zone has been fine. Throw in the major improvement on faceoffs, everything will be fine. Those who question his leadership, i pray that you never have the opportunity to educate/coach any young hockey players because you clearly have no clue what youre watching.

qf mf t.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Don't be greedy; they still need centres.

Desharnais + Eller for Giroux and Couturier.

Seriously though, what is up with Giroux? Bad chemistry? He lost his driving instincts? He used to be quite the hardnosed centre, he now plays it safe on the perimeter.

Btw, you had really bad breaks yesterday. Both in missed shots and literal break of sticks.

I was joking there, but honestly that would probably be a steal for the habs. I'm pretty sure if we could get our hands on Giroux, Therrien would find a way to bring out the best of him. Although I suspect Giroux's problems this season may have to do with something other than just athleticism, my guess is that he may be partying a little too much. He looks and sounds like the kind of gets a little too involved after the game. Just a guess though.

Last edited:

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
I was joking there, but honestly that would probably be a steal for the habs.

Probably...:amazed:? Are you trolling, because if so, you're doing it right.

I'm pretty sure if we could get our hands on Giroux, Therrien would find a way to bring out the best of him. Although I suspect Giroux's problems this season may have to do with something other than just athleticism

He had 93 points last season and went ******* in the play-offs. I think Laviolette's probably doing okay handling him.

my guess is that he may be partying a little too much. He looks and sounds like the kind of guy who's the loudest and craziest after the game.

Here we go...

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Probably...:amazed:? Are you trolling, because if so, you're doing it right.

He had 93 points last season and went ******* in the play-offs. I think Laviolette's probably doing okay handling him.

Here we go...

I'll correct this, it would be a steal for the habs, but there's a slight possibility that Desharnais and Eller may turn out to be better than they currently are and a slight possibility that Giroux's last season will not be repeated.

I'm not saying Laviolette didn't coach the team and Giroux correctly last year, well maybe he did just that in the second round... But I'm saying that maybe Therrien would do a better job handling Giroux at the present moment and with the current habs lineup.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
I'll correct this, it would be a steal for the habs, but there's a slight possibility that Desharnais and Eller may turn out to be better than they currently are and a slight possibility that Giroux's last season will not be repeated.

I'm not saying Laviolette didn't coach the team and Giroux correctly last year, well maybe he did just that in the second round... But I'm saying that maybe Therrien would do a better job handling Giroux at the present moment and with the current habs lineup.

Maybe. I'm not sure we have very much to base that thinking on, but there's always a chance I guess.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
The expectations got a little too high for giroux after last season. He's still a fantastic player but there's a bunch of factors that made it obvious that he's not going to consistently put up 90 points

Terence Peterman

Sep 17, 2007
I'll start worrying about Giroux when he shows he clearly doesn't give a crap.....like Mike Richards started exhibiting. Having said this..he needs to step it up and not psych himself out like he's doing. Hopefully, Hartnell coming back helps him out but G should be creating his own luck..that's what elite players are supposed to do.

Dude's last play as a Flyer was a diving attempt to stop an empty netter in the dying seconds of a sunk playoff series.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

I don't think Richards ever didn't give a crap when he was on the ice. He may have had off-ice priorities that didn't align with what you might think a Captain's priorities look like, but that is all rumor and innuendo. I never watched Richie play and thought he was dogging it at all. That being said, I think the rumor and innuendo about the locker room issues and his work ethic off the ice probably have some truth to them...how much we may never know.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad