Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2020-21 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Looking into THN from 2011, Charlie Coyle was ranked the 11th best prospect. This was when he was in San Jose's system.

Beastieboi

Oct 29, 2019
Would it be safe to assume Rossi is going to be going full training camp levels of exercise for the next 20 weeks until next seasons start date?

How fit can this kid get in 20 weeks? I'm excited to see, from the few videos I've seen on his Twitter, he trains like a beast.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Would it be safe to assume Rossi is going to be going full training camp levels of exercise for the next 20 weeks until next seasons start date?

How fit can this kid get in 20 weeks? I'm excited to see, from the few videos I've seen on his Twitter, he trains like a beast.
I am not concerned. He is a fitness nut and he is also 19. He is going to spring back very quickly.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota

I'm less concerned about his fitness for next year than I am about the lost development time over the last year. Gabe Vilardi comes to mind; had all the potential to be a first-liner but lost time means he'll probably never be more than a 3C. If this lowers Rossi's ceiling from stud 1C to... anything less than that, really, it significantly changes the course of the next 5-10 years. Kaprizov and Fiala will likely keep us too good to get Bedard, Wright, etc. so if Rossi doesn't pan out we're in a really tough spot.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The lack of hockey time is what is going to hurt Rossi, assuming that there are no long term aftereffects from Covid.

StateofCelly

Jan 5, 2017
I'm less concerned about his fitness for next year than I am about the lost development time over the last year. Gabe Vilardi comes to mind; had all the potential to be a first-liner but lost time means he'll probably never be more than a 3C. If this lowers Rossi's ceiling from stud 1C to... anything less than that, really, it significantly changes the course of the next 5-10 years. Kaprizov and Fiala will likely keep us too good to get Bedard, Wright, etc. so if Rossi doesn't pan out we're in a really tough spot.

I feel like at 19 a year lost isn't great but it is far different than at 22-23 when I believe the peak to do or don't hits. Any time lost is too much, but as long as he comes back in great health, I don't see why a guy who's game is driven by a skillset like his is going to be drastically impacted. The key about Rossi is that he was already one of the more "pro-ready" guys with things to refine, sure.. but we weren't talking a bout a project in the first place. I feel like he is going to be even hungrier to succeed than before.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Interesting. I feel quite differently, and I think it's because we're viewing Rossi's development in different ways. Rossi's skill level and style of game was already NHL ready, or near NHL ready, in his draft year. It was his size and skating that people were concerned about. His getting COVID-19 definitely scares me a bit, because I worry about the long-term effects it could have on his conditioning, but if there are no long-term lung capacity losses, and he continues to physically train like he did last year, I have no concerns about his development.

His actual puck skills may be rusty when he finally gets into games again, but I doubt he'll lose them, and they were already NHL caliber.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Interesting. I feel quite differently, and I think it's because we're viewing Rossi's development in different ways. Rossi's skill level and style of game was already NHL ready, or near NHL ready, in his draft year. It was his size and skating that people were concerned about. His getting COVID-19 definitely scares me a bit, because I worry about the long-term effects it could have on his conditioning, but if there are no long-term lung capacity losses, and he continues to physically train like he did last year, I have no concerns about his development.

His actual puck skills may be rusty when he finally gets into games again, but I doubt he'll lose them, and they were already NHL caliber.

He's also the type of player who uses his brain more than anything, so unless his illness affected his brain and the way he reads and processes the game, he'll be fine.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota

Gotcha. My concerns were that it would take some time and effort for him to be able to use the tools he flashed in junior to the tighter spaces and bigger bodies in the NHL. My thinking there was that it would probably be best to get him at least a cup of coffee right away, so he has a benchmark for what the adjustments will need to be, and then as much time as possible to work on speeding up that decision making, shrugging off hits, working through physical play to get to the net, whether that be through time spent I the NHL or the AHL. He seems to have plenty of confidence, so I wasn't worried about throwing too much on his plate and overwhelming him; my concern was that it would take possibly significant time for him to be able to make those adjustments. I guess it kinda does boil down to size concerns for me as well; he certainly seems further along his development track than others around him, so you can't count on those noob gains for added strength or speed. Most of the adjustments there I think are going to be technique-based (i.e. working with a skating coach, trying to learn more about how Spurgeon is such a God w/r/t leverage and absorb some of that), and may take longer for smaller gains than just straight weight-and-condotioning training.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
As I said once already, in my opinion, his greatest attribute is not actually his skillset, it's his work ethic and drive. He's obsessed, which for us is good. And it's good for his hockey career. He is absolutely obsessed. I promise he is the player that has a perfect, exact routine, he writes everything down on a notepad and when he goes home he studies what he wrote down.

He will be back and better than ever. It may take a year, but he will be fine.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
Good. He projects really well and I’m over the moon that’s e got him at 39. Think he’s going to be a top 4 guy for sure.
Gradually improved throughout the year. Ended up being a solid defender, with decent puck skills. Also seemed to be able to handle the physicality better and better. Overall, very positive for an 18yo. I don't see him ever being the type of Dman that wows you with skill, but there is something to be said for a really good defender with good size.

Thanks guys! Appreciate it. Hopefully it all works out your favour.

I watched him a bit in juniors, now that he’s played some pro-league, do you guys have a stylistic comparison?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I think the bigger concern with Rossi for me is that he’ll have lost some of his cardiac function. I’m not all to concerned with him missing a season. So much of the development that happens with a player is their overall maturity level and just getting older. Sure, it’s not ideal, but if his heart just doesn’t work as well after everything that could be a big obstacle for him to reach his full potential.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think the bigger concern with Rossi for me is that he’ll have lost some of his cardiac function. I’m not all to concerned with him missing a season. So much of the development that happens with a player is their overall maturity level and just getting older. Sure, it’s not ideal, but if his heart just doesn’t work as well after everything that could be a big obstacle for him to reach his full potential.
Depends if he developed scar tissue in his heart or not. If not, should be good to go, if so, could be some loss of efficiency.

Only time can tell.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

P10p

May 15, 2012
im curious how this would help, to repair muscle you need protein and amino acids, the most efficient way to get that is with meat.....

You are aware that you can have a balanced diet with protein and amino acids from other sources than meat?

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
im curious how this would help, to repair muscle you need protein and amino acids, the most efficient way to get that is with meat.....
Well, you can certainly still hit your Protien requirements on a vegan diet, especially with supplements. But, yeah, I don’t know what it does for the heart. Apparently in the article I read his nutritionist thinks it will help with inflammation

Reactions: GuerinUp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad