Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2020-21 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Khovanov is under contract, is he not? What is there for him to choose? Maybe I'm mistaken, but didn't the Wild have to give him permission to play in the KHL last season?

I'm curious to know what would happen to Khovanov if he didn't return back from Russia? Like in a literal sense, what would happen? Would the MHL/KHL suspend Khovanov? Would the Wild file a grievance to the NHL? Would the Wild hire Cooke to go over there and make sure Khovanov 'gets the message'?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota

Another case of either Russo doesn't really have any idea whats going on with what Guerin is doing, or Guerin has no idea what he's doing.

Ok, now I'm super confused with Russo's tweet here.

He's insinuating that Lindberg won't sign because he's not being offered enough money, but it's not the Wild who are limiting his ELC money, it's the CBA.

What am I missing here?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

He's insinuating that Lindberg won't sign because he's not being offered enough money, but it's not the Wild who are limiting his ELC money, it's the CBA.

What am I missing here?

My thought is that Lindberg just doesn't want to come here, or the Wild simply don't want him at all. I don't think it has anything to do with money, because the difference between 725k and 925k, and what Lindberg is ultimately going to sign for in the long run, is negligible.

And I can't see a good reason, with the lack of goalie depth we have, for the Wild to forego an ELC on their end. After the career he had at UMass, he's worth an ELC to see if he can continue performing well for two years, even if your models don't suggest he can, or you don't really like his skillset.

So I'd bet on him just not wanting to be here. The only thing I'm not sure about, is I didn't know he could just refuse to sign and go to free agency. I thought we had his rights for another year.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

What am I missing here?
Could be more about his AHL salary. I can't remember how that works for ELCs, though.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Could be more about his AHL salary. I can't remember how that works for ELCs, though.

Could be that he wants a bonus laden contract equivalent to a first round pick and the Wild aren't willing to offer this no?

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
So I'd bet on him just not wanting to be here. The only thing I'm not sure about, is I didn't know he could just refuse to sign and go to free agency. I thought we had his rights for another year.

My assumption is he's pulling a Jimmy Vesey or Adam Fox to go to a team he wants to go to, but I still can't understand why Russo specifically stated the reason was about him not being paid like he wants to be paid.

This makes more sense in regard to the money but seems like an odd hill to die on for a ELC.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
My assumption is he's pulling a Jimmy Vesey or Adam Fox to go to a team he wants to go to, but I still can't understand why Russo specifically stated the reason was about him not being paid like he wants to be paid.

Russo also seems to think that Khovanov can simply choose to stay in the KHL if he wants to. Russo has a tendency to not fully understand how a lot of things work, but speak matter-of-factly about them anyway. I wouldn't read too much into what he says about stuff like this. All we really know is that the two sides can't agree for some reason.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Could be that he wants a bonus laden contract equivalent to a first round pick and the Wild aren't willing to offer this no?
Bonuses might be more likely, though I'm hazy on how all that works. Looks like the minor league salary is capped at $70k for ELCs, so that's not it.

Reactions: Engebretson

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

What am I missing here?

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-entry-level-compensation/

Signing bonus? Performance Bonuses?

I also thought it was due to having Kahkonen and Jones in front of him that Lindberg wanted to go somewhere else.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Russo also seems to think that Khovanov can simply choose to stay in the KHL if he wants to. Russo has a tendency to not fully understand how a lot of things work, but speak matter-of-factly about them anyway. I wouldn't read too much into what he says about stuff like this. All we really know is that the two sides can't agree for some reason.

Pretty sure this is possible if Khovanov is basically saying f*** the NHL and Wild. I think he can chose to go to Russia if he doesn't care about his NHL future. As far as I know there is no agreement between the NHL and KHL which would force the KHL to honor his NHL deal. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Reactions: thestonedkoala

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
Pretty sure this is possible if Khovanov is basically saying f*** the NHL and Wild. I think he can chose to go to Russia if he doesn't care about his NHL future. As far as I know there is no agreement between the NHL and KHL which would force the KHL to honor his NHL deal. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

While I don't think there is an official transfer agreement, there is some sort of "understanding" and respect for contracts. KHL likely stands to lose more if both leagues ceased to respect each other's contracts, so they probably wouldn't go "f*** the NHL" just to keep someone who spent the last season in VHL.

Reactions: P10p

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There is a handshake(I don't think it's on paper?) agreement between the KHL and NHL to honor each others contracts. The KHL/VHL certainly wouldn't jeopardize it for Khovanov.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You could give him the max bonuses, the only way he's getting anything out of it is if he's in the NHL

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
There is an agreement, it is on paper.

It's just non binding Memorandum of Understanding with no real punishment if either side decides to blow it up. If I remember correctly the last time the NHL announced they had extended it was 2018.

I don't see the KHL blowing it up for Khovanov. If Kaprizov or Kucherov wants to go back to the KHL, they might consider it. But not for Khovanov

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Ok...poor choice there as he's capped out at the deal he can get. I'm just saying what he's done needs to be balanced with how you think he projects at the next level.
See, I agree with what you're saying here, I just find myself wondering what their projection is, because the results are there, and he wouldn't cost much even at max. I should be up front in saying, though, that I don't trust scouts to project goalies accurately. I think they do much better with forwards and defensemen than they do with goalies.

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
AHL salary for an ELC is capped at like $70k
ELC max Signing bonus is $92,500 / salary 70k.

Only performance bonuses can be negotiated per the CBA

There are handshake agreements that have been and are made between agents and Management .... 10 games in NHL, 20, etc

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
any of our AHL kids ready to step into the 4LW spot? currently i have Dewar penciled in there alongside Bjugstad and Hartmann.
I would like to see Dewar play C, but I think he might do well, though he is more of a skill guy than a grinder. Giroux and Shaw are similar. Smaller, smart, skilled guys. Duhaime or Chaffeee are bigger, more robust guys with less upside.
It could well be that an older player like Johnson, Rau, or Cramarossa would be the better option right now, but there is next to no upside there.

Reactions: DeagleJenkins

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Could expedite his timeline and potentially even get him NHL time next year

Excellent news. The AHL will be much better this year, so he will have to step his game up to compete. Kind of surprised that the CHL has allowed this to happen, though.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Excellent news. The AHL will be much better this year, so he will have to step his game up to compete. Kind of surprised that the CHL has allowed this to happen, though.
I think the AHL transfer agreement for CHL players was up this year, so if they were already negotiating to extend it, it doesn’t seem like it would be hard for the NHL to say “give us this exception or we’ll void the rule all together”

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I would like to see Dewar play C, but I think he might do well, though he is more of a skill guy than a grinder. Giroux and Shaw are similar. Smaller, smart, skilled guys. Duhaime or Chaffeee are bigger, more robust guys with less upside.
It could well be that an older player like Johnson, Rau, or Cramarossa would be the better option right now, but there is next to no upside there.
was more so just hoping to give a kid a chance but if Rau is the better option sadly ill take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad