Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2020-21 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
was more so just hoping to give a kid a chance but if Rau is the better option sadly ill take it.
I am not saying that he is, and Dewar is definitely able to play C. I like just about everything about his game, but am always cautious about projecting, because i am usually wrong.:oops:

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I am not saying that he is, and Dewar is definitely able to play C. I like just about everything about his game, but am always cautious about projecting, because i am usually wrong.:oops:
Gotcha, I’d be fine with him at C just thinking who would be a cheap fill for our bottom left wing spot

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Video on Wild.com of Rossi where he says he’s skating for like 2.5 hrs a day and working out. What are we gonna do with this workhorse?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Video on Wild.com of Rossi where he says he’s skating for like 2.5 hrs a day and working out. What are we gonna do with this workhorse?
He needs games in Iowa, with all sorts of top line and PP TOI like Boldy had last year. The poor guy has been through a lot, and should not be rushed.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
He needs games in Iowa, with all sorts of top line and PP TOI like Boldy had last year. The poor guy has been through a lot, and should not be rushed.
I don’t disagree; that’s the approach I would take. But, I don’t know that we know that for sure. Maybe he will be ready, I don’t know

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
JEE learned with the big club, why not Rossi?
JEE played over a season and 2/3rds in Sweden after being drafted(70+ games) plus a full slate of international play, before coming over and playing 15 NHL games late in his D+2 season. He was completely healthy, and was able to train in the off season.

Rossi played one game in SWI, and a handful of international games where he didn't look like himself after contracting Covid which left him with serious heart related complications(Myocarditis), causing him to shutdown all physical activity, let alone play a game of hockey. At one point he was worried about not waking up.

Expecting him to be ready to play NHL games at the beginning of his D2 season after what he has gone through is optimistic, if not irresponsible. Hopefully this guy will have a long career with us. Let's not screw it up before it's barely begun. The AHL will be back to full strength this year, and will be quite a step up in competition for him.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
JEE played over a season and 2/3rds in Sweden after being drafted(70+ games) plus a full slate of international play, before coming over and playing 15 NHL games late in his D+2 season. He was completely healthy, and was able to train in the off season.

Rossi played one game in SWI, and a handful of international games where he didn't look like himself after contracting Covid which left him with serious heart related complications(Myocarditis), causing him to shutdown all physical activity, let alone play a game of hockey. At one point he was worried about not waking up.

Expecting him to be ready to play NHL games at the beginning of his D2 season after what he has gone through is optimistic, if not irresponsible. Hopefully this guy will have a long career with us. Let's not screw it up before it's barely begun. The AHL will be back to full strength this year, and will be quite a step up in competition for him.

youre underestimating the power of the human body... with the amount of time hes had to train he could easily be in shape like he never missed a game by training camp.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
"After what he's been through, it's best to put him in the AHL, not the NHL"

I'm sorry, are they not playing 60 minute hockey games in the AHL too? Are they just studying film and hitting the gym in the AHL?

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
If Rossi is even half the player this board is projecting him to be, he's not spending much time, if any, in Iowa.
Depends how risk-averse Guerin and Evason are. If their handling of Boldy was any indication, it won't be so much about his performance as it will be about their fear of hurting his confidence and/or a stubborn insistence he hasn't earned the opportunity yet.

Or maybe he comes in and just flat out sucks, I dunno.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Is it a reach to think that Brackett, and by extension Guerin, may not be that high on Boldy, so they'd have no problem giving him up along with Fiala in an Eichel deal, or any kind of deal?

From what we can see publicly, Brackett passed on Boldy for Podkolzin, and Guerin wasn't here for that pick either.

That might explain the rumors that Guerin only wanted to give him an ATO (not sure if actually true or not) and explain why they weren't in a rush to get him to Minnesota last season.

Might also be a reason why Rossi could be handled differently, or get a better opportunity here.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
youre underestimating the power of the human body... with the amount of time hes had to train he could easily be in shape like he never missed a game by training camp.
All the other players have continued on with their development, though, while he was inactive. Unless you think that Rossi has some superpowers that allows him to progress at a faster rate than all the other highly rated and motivated draftees, how does he catch up by not playing any games?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Is it a reach to think that Brackett, and by extension Guerin, may not be that high on Boldy, so they'd have no problem giving him up along with Fiala in an Eichel deal, or any kind of deal?

From what we can see publicly, Brackett passed on Boldy for Podkolzin, and Guerin wasn't here for that pick either.

That might explain the rumors that Guerin only wanted to give him an ATO (not sure if actually true or not) and explain why they weren't in a rush to get him to Minnesota last season.

Might also be a reason why Rossi could be handled differently, or get a better opportunity here.
Brackett wouldn't really have an opinion on the player that Boldy has become in the 2 years since the draft. Don't see why he would even be consulted on something like that

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Brackett wouldn't really have an opinion on the player that Boldy has become in the 2 years since the draft. Don't see why he would even be consulted on something like that

I don't think it's out of line to think the director of amateur scouting stays up to date with how his prospects are progressing, and has conversations with Guerin about it.

I know for a fact Brackett has opinions on our prospects because he's shared them with Russo multiple times since he's been here.

And they certainly must have had conversations last year when they were discussing trading him at the draft.

I'd like to believe they like Boldy and see him on the same level as Rossi, I'm simply curious if it's a massive reach to think they don't.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
All the other players have continued on with their development, though, while he was inactive. Unless you think that Rossi has some superpowers that allows him to progress at a faster rate than all the other highly rated and motivated draftees, how does he catch up by not playing any games?

by training when all the other players are taking time off because the season just ended....

Reactions: AKL

Olcoach

Nov 25, 2018
The Tundra

I am assuming he is 100% healthy and recovered from his battle with covid now. Yes it was quite a struggle and a huge scare for the young man. Skating 2.5 hours a day with probably another 2-3 hours of weights and dryland points to his recovery. So to me the question is what will it take to get his timing up to NHL level game speed. I would play him 10 games of sheltered minutes and reevaluate at that point. Starting in the AHL is absolutely valid. The problem is the need of the big club up the middle now. I am assuming he would be an upgrade over Bonino if the season started tomorrow.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am assuming he is 100% healthy and recovered from his battle with covid now. Yes it was quite a struggle and a huge scare for the young man. Skating 2.5 hours a day with probably another 2-3 hours of weights and dryland points to his recovery. So to me the question is what will it take to get his timing up to NHL level game speed. I would play him 10 games of sheltered minutes and reevaluate at that point. Starting in the AHL is absolutely valid. The problem is the need of the big club up the middle now. I am assuming he would be an upgrade over Bonino if the season started tomorrow.
You don't screw up a prospects development because your team has a need.

Do you guys really think that Rossi is the only prospect that works hard?

P10p

May 15, 2012
You don't screw up a prospects development because your team has a need.

Do you guys really think that Rossi is the only prospect that works hard?

His whole point was valid yet you zero in on one sentence and then you project on everyone here....

Reactions: Olcoach
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad