Prospect Info: General Prospect Discussion Thread 2020-21 - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I think McBain could work his way into a utility-forward/fourth line role down the line, but his skating probably needs to get better.

Novak's an interesting one because I have no idea what to take away from numbers from the Czech leagues and he's done pretty well against his peers.

McBain is an athlete, don't know if Minnesota will sign him or not though.

Novak is really interesting. Was a dark horse last year as Czech League has been - well horrible lately, so it's hard to take away how good he is.

guitarhunterdude

Jan 2, 2017
'Sota
Going from oldest to youngest:

Sam Hentges will be turning 22 this year, but could be a good depth forward for Minnesota. He has what they are missing - a right-handed shot. He's listed as a center, but who knows if he'll stick at the position in the pros. He's put together a pretty solid career at St. Cloud State. Could end up being an older prospect if they let him head to St. Cloud for his senior year.

Marshall Warren was considered a top 60 prospect in 2019, but dropped to the 6th round. Can't say how good he'll be as his numbers aren't there, but as a defenseman numbers don't always tell the entire story. With the shallow depth on the left side Warren could be seen as a depth defenseman if he continues on his path of development. I think once he gets to Minnesota, he'll see a progression similar to Soucy.

Pavel Novak is an intriguing prospect and like Hentges plays a position of need - right wing. He lost this year in the WHL and bounced around it looks like between the two Czech leagues. Put up some numbers at the U20 with the Czech National team and even got a game with the pro team. Looks like he's heading back to the Czech next year as well. Could be a good player to have in the system.

Missing the cut:

Jack McBain - was excited for him, put together a decent year last year but was that due to the talent or was he finally putting his game together?
Get Novak with a skating coach and he might turn into something. Lots of creativity I like there, just not the skating to be an NHLer without some serious work.

Leeves

Aug 21, 2020
I think McBain could work his way into a utility-forward/fourth line role down the line, but his skating probably needs to get better.

Novak's an interesting one because I have no idea what to take away from numbers from the Czech leagues and he's done pretty well against his peers.

From what I've seen skating is the big nock on both McBain and Novak. Hopefully they can get it to an acceptable level.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Does make me wonder just how much of Russo's information is just him talking out of his ass?

The last several years? Feels like most of it. 78% if I had to pick a number.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Khovanov is under contract, is he not? What is there for him to choose? Maybe I'm mistaken, but didn't the Wild have to give him permission to play in the KHL last season?
Yes, he's under contract. I'm sure a decision on where he plays isn't made unilaterally, but he can't just jet for the KHL and he'd have almost no reason to want that anyway. The Wild, at least, have a vested interest in developing him into an NHL caliber player.

I don't know why Russo phrases things the way he does.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yes, he's under contract. I'm sure a decision on where he plays isn't made unilaterally, but he can't just jet for the KHL and he'd have almost no reason to want that anyway. The Wild, at least, have a vested interest in developing him into an NHL caliber player.

I might as well just put you on auto-like.

Reactions: Bazeek

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota

We all know why he writes this way...

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017

Another case of either Russo doesn't really have any idea whats going on with what Guerin is doing, or Guerin has no idea what he's doing.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Well Lindbergh has only played college hockey. While Kaprizov won rookie of the year in the NHL. I can't say the situations are exactly the same.
Yeah, I'm not saying they're in the exact same situation, instead I purposely used a hyperbolic example because I wanted to make the point clear: draft position does not indicate a prospect/player's level of value. What they do after being drafted matters, and all Lindberg did was be one of the best goalies in college hockey. If he were a college UFA instead of an RFA, teams would be offering him a max ELC. I really don't know why that's so out of the question that Guerin decided he'd rather just part ways (at least, that's how Russo is making it sound).

Slotski

Jun 5, 2018
USA
Yeah, I'm not saying they're in the exact same situation, instead I purposely used a hyperbolic example because I wanted to make the point clear: draft position does not indicate a prospect/player's level of value. What they do after being drafted matters, and all Lindberg did was be one of the best goalies in college hockey. If he were a college UFA instead of an RFA, teams would be offering him a max ELC. I really don't know why that's so out of the question that Guerin decided he'd rather just part ways (at least, that's how Russo is making it sound).
The scouting report indicates he is an undersized goalie with limited athletic skills.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
The scouting report indicates he is an undersized goalie with limited athletic skills.
I guess it's true that we've reached that point with goalies now where 6'1" is undersized. I'm not overly sure about the source, since the quote is uncredited, but I found this said about him by, reportedly, a Wild scout: "He has a winning pedigree. He's a competitive guy with good athleticism and quickness."

So, I guess it depends who you ask. What I know is that he's won a lot of games and played great in them, which is what a goalie is supposed to do. I think there's some value in projecting players out, but if I have to choose between projections and results, I choose results.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
I guess it's true that we've reached that point with goalies now where 6'1" is undersized. I'm not overly sure about the source, since the quote is uncredited, but I found this said about him by, reportedly, a Wild scout: "He has a winning pedigree. He's a competitive guy with good athleticism and quickness."

So, I guess it depends who you ask. What I know is that he's won a lot of games and played great in them, which is what a goalie is supposed to do. I think there's some value in projecting players out, but if I have to choose between projections and results, I choose results.
You have to balance projection and results though...will it translate to the next level or was he just on a good team that limited high danger chances for him?
He'd be worth giving a shot to... but I'm not throwing money at the kid like he's some can't miss guy either.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Well Lindbergh has only played college hockey. While Kaprizov won rookie of the year in the NHL. I can't say the situations are exactly the same.
It's an ELC, there really isn't anything to negotiate.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
You have to balance projection and results though...will it translate to the next level or was he just on a good team that limited high danger chances for him?
He'd be worth giving a shot to... but I'm not throwing money at the kid like he's some can't miss guy either.

What do you mean throwing money at the kid? He's only eligible for a two-year ELC at 925k max.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Sure, no need to offer him an ELC if they're not interested, but it's not a matter of "throwing money at him" or not
Ok...poor choice there as he's capped out at the deal he can get. I'm just saying what he's done needs to be balanced with how you think he projects at the next level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad