OT: General OT Thread #41: Do We Have To Go With Skoula?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
well not trying to sound like a buzzkill but watch the episode of street outlaws where he rolls the crowmod at around 130mph. without all the safety equipment like a rollbar he would have been finished. on the dyno my car hit the 162 factory fuel shutoff. i've only had it upto around 125. if you get a ticket over a hundo you lose your license for 6 months so i try to keep it under.

StealthClobber

A Digital Frontier.
Feb 7, 2013
Minnetonka, MN
well not trying to sound like a buzzkill but watch the episode of street outlaws where he rolls the crowmod at around 130mph. without all the safety equipment like a rollbar he would have been finished. on the dyno my car hit the 162 factory fuel shutoff. i've only had it upto around 125. if you get a ticket over a hundo you lose your license for 6 months so i try to keep it under.

Yeah I know. It was 6 years ago and I was just 18 at the time. Haven't been far over 100 since then, only a few times.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I've never had a fall asleep at the wheel moment yet, knock on wood.

But back when I went to college in Minnesota, I did a really dumb, but really fun thing. On my way back to school from the cities after Easter break, it was pitch black outside and raining, and right outside of St. Cloud on I-94 I decided to see just how fast I could get my car before feeling like slowing down.

Got it to 133 mph, in the rain, at night. Not the smartest decision, but damn if it wasn't fun. :sarcasm:

Think we've all done something equally as dumb lol. Lord knows when I had my Trans Am WS6 still I would peg that thing at close to 150 some times on I-95 in Georgia.

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
I drive at the speed limit or on the highways maybe 10-15 above. Working for the city parks and rec every summer has conditioned me. Got in an accident once in a city truck (was not at fault, person merged from a turn only lane into my trailer), and that was a heck of a process.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.
I generally don't go beyond 5-7 over the speed limit unless traffic is. I've found that to be where I don't feel like I'm going to get pulled over and man, not ever worrying about that is just relaxing.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I usually sit somewhere between 7-9 mph over the limit.

I've always felt like that was relatively safe, when it comes to getting a ticket. If a cop is having a bad day and wants to give me a ticket for going 9 over, I guess I'll take the ticket. Hasn't happened yet.

I have gotten one speeding ticket, but that was me not realizing what the limit was, so I was doing 14 over.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
Yeah, I usually go with the "5-9 over, unless traffic is different" rule myself. Like if everyone else is going over 75, I'm not gonna be the ******* sitting there practically in park. And there's always one.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Or if you're in MN where people go like 5 under the limit because they are scared they'll get into an accident and then cause an accident. Seen soooooo many of these around the Fish Lake Interchange.

Hall of Faber

Nov 16, 2012
Thorndale, PA
The slow line here is 55 but if your not going 65 your holding everyone up. It's crazy around here. I see people doing 85+ daily.

I hate being in a rush so I just cruise at 65.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I follow traffic flow usually, 5-10 over on the Interstate if I'm alone. City streets I stay pretty close to the speed limit. Country roads 5 over if it's hilly (too many tractors).

Semi's not being able to pass each other annoy me.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Ooh Avder, you naughty boy.

Well for the whole portion of the trip that was just getting out of the Twin Cities I was doing 80 just to keep up. Was passed a few times by someone doing 85+ as well.

Once I got out of town I just set cruise control on since most people were doing at least 77.

I typically drive about 5 over the limit on the highway unless traffic dictates i go faster or slower.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Semi's passing eachother slowly is a recipe for 40 cars stuck behind them who want to pass but cant.

Fremitus Borealis

Flügelstürmer
Feb 4, 2007
The Slot
I hate this weather :( Complain all you want about cold temperatures, but having 10 days of 50+ in FEBRUARY just ruins winter. The ice on the lakes is pretty useless afterwards since you have to wait for it to be safe/smooth enough to use (depending what you're doing), and there simply aren't enough days left to bring it back reliably. Naysayers will always point out that it can still snow in May... but come on, a one-off bout of 3" of snow that's gone in 2 days is not a substitute for being able to spend February skiing, ice skating, ice fishing, pond hockeying, etc. :shakehead

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley
I have a friend who was training to be a cop and he was told not to pull someone over for speeding unless they're going at least 10% over the speed limit. So I like to use that as a rule of thumb. I'll go 77 in a 70 no problem. Though I did get a ticket in a construction zone for going 33 in a 30. Hmmmm...

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn
I hate this weather :( Complain all you want about cold temperatures, but having 10 days of 50+ in FEBRUARY just ruins winter. The ice on the lakes is pretty useless afterwards since you have to wait for it to be safe/smooth enough to use (depending what you're doing), and there simply aren't enough days left to bring it back reliably. Naysayers will always point out that it can still snow in May... but come on, a one-off bout of 3" of snow that's gone in 2 days is not a substitute for being able to spend February skiing, ice skating, ice fishing, pond hockeying, etc. :shakehead

Agreed. I love winter activities and this warm week pretty much ruined the chances of doing anymore of them. But have no fear climate change is just a Chinese hoax.

Jacques The Mayor

Aug 29, 2011
wastings mn
I have a friend who was training to be a cop and he was told not to pull someone over for speeding unless they're going at least 10% over the speed limit. So I like to use that as a rule of thumb. I'll go 77 in a 70 no problem. Though I did get a ticket in a construction zone for going 33 in a 30. Hmmmm...

Well 33 is 10% more than 30...
And it is a construction zone...

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I picked it up in travel and it got really bad luckily when I landed her in KSA. I have been fetal for like 4 days and have lost 7 pounds.Stay hydrated.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Has anyone traveled to China?

My sister is going through her school in a couple weeks, and is wondering about adapters, like for plugging in phone chargers, etc.

Just from what I've gathered so far, it looks like China has the same 2 pronged plug that we have, it's just a lot stronger, 110v vs. 220v. But most newer phones (she has a Samsung Galaxy Note 5) are built to handle a 220v charge, right?

If she's bringing a laptop with a 3 pronged cord, it looks like she'll need an adapter, because their 3 pronged plugs are different.

I figured I'd ask here, because I know we have some travelers!

edit: now that I'm looking at it, it looks like the voltage is more about the charger, and not about the phone itself? (I am NOT an electrical engineer :laugh:)

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
Oh boy...boards have gotten exponentially worse at home for me. Won't say why (because I don't think I can here) but ugh. What a pain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad